Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#230392 Aug 24th, 2008 at 03:16 PM
OP Offline
Hello,

I posted something similar in the Introduction forum, but I thought it would be better to post here: I have a small (dwarf) orange tree in a pot outside that blossoms each year but has never born fruit. The blossoms seem to dry up and fall off, and that's the end of the story each season. It gets plenty of sun, and water for a few minutes each day from the sprinklers. I would love to get fruit from it--any advice?

Also, this same tree has suddenly sprouted a shoot full of huge, light green leaves, probably 4 times bigger than the original leaves. What could this mean?

Thanks!

Lori
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
one of two things are going on. maybe both. you don't have a pollinator (bees, butterflies, etc) and/or it needs another tree. some fruit tress are self-pollinators, some need pollen from another tree. if it is a self pollinator and you don't have bees or butterflies to do the trick, you can play bee by using a q-tip to gently rub the pollen off one flower onto another. the pollen is the yellow stuff.

#230595 Aug 25th, 2008 at 02:57 PM
OP Offline
Thanks! I'll try that! How can I tell if it's a self-pollinator? (I guess if the trick works, that would answer that question!)

Any ideas about what the great big leaves are all about?

Lori
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
too much of the first number in the fertilizer you used.

#230727 Aug 26th, 2008 at 07:22 AM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Hi Lori,

I posted something similar in the Introduction forum, but I thought it would be better to post here: I have a small (dwarf) orange tree in a pot outside that blossoms each year but has never born fruit. The blossoms seem to dry up and fall off, and that's the end of the story each season. It gets plenty of sun, and water for a few minutes each day from the sprinklers. I would love to get fruit from it--any advice?

Most citruses are self fruitful and grow well in containers. I have 78 dwarf citruses in containers. Grafted citruses usually begin to bear in 3 to 4 years. Your dwarf orange like any other citrus variety needs adequate soil moisture. Drought during bloom causes the flowers to drop. Lack of moisture also causes fruit drop. On the other hand, standing water and poorly drained soil are just as bad. Check the top 3 inches of soil, if damp, don't water, if dry, water right away. Put mulch to conserve moisture. Other reasons for blossoms/fruit drops are lack of nitrogen or trace elements and heat stress. Fertilize your dwarf orange tree 2X-3X a year between February and September. Organic fertilizer is good. If you want to use commercial fertilizer look for one that apply to citrus and avocados, or African violet or any complete fertilizer [with N-P-K present].

Also, this same tree has suddenly sprouted a shoot full of huge, light green leaves, probably 4 times bigger than the original leaves. What could this mean?

That shoot is a sucker. Nice looking, but robs your orange tree of energy it needs. I cut off suckers, especially those with thorns.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #230734 Aug 26th, 2008 at 08:37 AM
OP Offline
Thank you so much for the great advice!

Lori

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image