Rate Thread
#228538 Aug 15th, 2008 at 08:04 AM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Years and years ago I bought an allium from a garden center in Eastern NC. It was identified as a "Society Garlic." I brought it with me to Cincinnati and it has thrived in my perennial bed. Thrived, I say, as in it spreads underground and it self-seeds, it's everywhere, even in the cracks of the walk way.

We eat the leaves and flower stalks, like chives. The leaves have a milder flavor than the stalks, but both are pleasant, sort of a cross between garlic & green onion, but definitely not chives. It's excellent fresh in salads, and substitutes well for green onion or chives in cooking.

It occurred to me (duh) that I could freeze it so I went looking to see if there was anything special I needed to know about freezing it. Much to my surprise, I discovered that it isn't Society Garlic at all. None of the sites I looked at pictured the allium that I have.

Can anyone identify it? I don't use photobucket but there's a picture of it here: http://northsideguerillafarmer.pbwiki.com/Photos

Description: plant over winters & can stay green for quite a while in the southern region of zone 6. Flat leaves. Pods, bunches reach about 2' tall by mid-August when it blooms. flower stalks can reach 4-5'. flowers are typical of allium but white (not purple like Society Garlic) and the flowers can be about 3" across. Does not form a large bulb.

This isn't urgent-- I'm going to harvest and freeze no matter what it's called. Just curious about what I have.

Thanks!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I believe that is garlic chives. Both from you description and from the pics.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #228572 Aug 15th, 2008 at 11:22 AM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I believe you are correct! Thanks.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image