Rate Thread
#228302 Aug 13th, 2008 at 10:02 PM
rachelp Offline OP
Little Babe
2k Posts
OP Offline
Little Babe
2k Posts
Brennan has decided he would like to have a Webkinz birthday party. His birthday is the 24th so I don't have a huge amount of time. I have a few ideas but I would appreciate any ideas and suggestions you all have.

For the cake I think a big Webkinz W logo would be cool.

I want to make games related to real Webkinz games. So far I've come up with:

Jellybeen challenge - get the closest guess to the number of jellybeans in the jar and win the jar of jellybeans

Bingoz - I can make Bingoz cards on the computer and draw numbers

Wheel of Wow - I'm sure I could make a cool wheel with poster board and cardboard

Gem hunt - there is a recipe on one of the Webkinz sites to make "rocks" that can be broken open to reveal a prize

Balloon Dartz - OK, I can't have real darts since these are 9 year old kids. It's all fun and games until someone gets an eye put out. So, I was thinking model it after pin the tail on the donkey. Cut out balloon shapes and tape them to the wall or poster board. On the back of each balloon would be the name of a prize. Make a paper dart to pin on to the balloon. Spin the kids around blindfolded and have them pin the dart on the balloon.

I'm having a problem trying to figure out the prizes for the wheel of wow and balloon dartz. I want prizes the kids will be pleased with what they win. But if they are all actual Webkinz products (trading cards, figurines) it will cost a fortune. I was thinking of making things like candy and dollar tree type toys so I could afford for every child to get stuff. I could print out coloring pages of Webkinz pets and the logo that the kids could cut out and color to decorate their own bags to put their loot they win in.

Please help me with economical ideas for activities and prizes. I want my Brennan Tate to have the best party ever.

Oh yeah, he has wanted the Whimsy Dragon SO bad since it came out and he thinks it is impossible to ever get it. I got one! He's going to be thrilled. I also got the deer, cocoa dinosaur and bluejay.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

(the new and improved Mrs. rachelc)

If you never have you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
rachelp #228304 Aug 13th, 2008 at 10:39 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Very cool on the dragon and other new pets!. I'm going to pm you a link to another webkinz party ideas. Are all of Brennan's friends into Webkinz? Don't feel bad getting dollar store items. Get Brennan's input on those. He will have the best ideas of what his friends will like to receive.
Melcon from here did a cool webkinz party for her kids. She had good ideas.
For a speedier gem hunt you can just glue or tape pictures of gems on the bottom of real rocks and have corresponding colored toys or packages. (Just quicker than you above idea)
Now to go look up that thread and PM you.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #228305 Aug 13th, 2008 at 10:47 PM
rachelp Offline OP
Little Babe
2k Posts
OP Offline
Little Babe
2k Posts
Thanks for your help Tina. Brennan says his friends are all into Webkinz. I was kind of concerned about that, too. But he says they all like them. As for the prizes, Brennan loves dollar store stuff. I can give him $3 in there and he is a happy boy. The school had a carnival and all of the prizes were dollar store type stuff and the kids all seemed to be having a ball. I thought I would get extra stuff also to make sure all the kids get about the same amount of prizes whether they 'win' them or not. I will take him shopping with me to pick out the prizes so we can get stuff that he thinks everyone will like.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

rachelp #228307 Aug 13th, 2008 at 10:55 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
One friend made naked cupcakes and got the pink frosting and sprinkles for decorating their own to look like Webkinz cupcakes. If pink is too girly, skip it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #228308 Aug 13th, 2008 at 10:57 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Wacky zingoz. If you don't want to actually take a bat to one, just have a 'toss'.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
#228417 Aug 14th, 2008 at 09:46 AM
rachelp Offline OP
Little Babe
2k Posts
OP Offline
Little Babe
2k Posts
I like the cupcake idea, too. Brennan is really excited about all the ideas everyone has come up with. I've got so much to do. I guess first things first I need to get him ready to go to school on Monday and then take on the birthday party.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

rachelp #228460 Aug 14th, 2008 at 04:56 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
How many kids will be there, Rachel?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #228507 Aug 14th, 2008 at 08:59 PM
rachelp Offline OP
Little Babe
2k Posts
OP Offline
Little Babe
2k Posts
I don't know how many will come. His last party about 12 kids came. But, that party was at Chuck E. Cheese. I expect there to be a little less of a turn out here at the house. I hated him having to have it at the house but we just don't have the money for the big party this year. Just his party alone cost a few hundred dollars last year. Then adding in presents we had quite a bit invested in it.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

rachelp #228510 Aug 14th, 2008 at 11:15 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
My kids have never had a Chuck E Cheese party or any of those things. Just parties at my home. They can be much more fun because the kids can let loose a little in a way they can't at a public place. At least the normally well behaved kids can. A little running and jumping in the yard is cool too.
An August party calls for squirt guns even if they don't fit the Webkinz theme. Just small ones so no one gets super soaked. Maybe those little rubber ball types in animal shapes and a bucket of water to fill them in.
For the theme gardening, find packets of seeds if you can (Big Lots has 5/$1 in my area and so does Walgreens here)so they can start their own garden next year.
These are all ideas that can be discarded. I'm just throwing out thoughts as they come to me. (cheap ones, I like cheap)
I will keep thinking.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #228525 Aug 15th, 2008 at 07:08 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
rachel, you may be surprised. my kids went to way more "home" parties than chuck e cheese parties. the home parties were easier to get to, and i felt were better supervised and sent a better message. just me.

Tina #228530 Aug 15th, 2008 at 07:28 AM
rachelp Offline OP
Little Babe
2k Posts
OP Offline
Little Babe
2k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
My kids have never had a Chuck E Cheese party or any of those things. Just parties at my home. They can be much more fun because the kids can let loose a little in a way they can't at a public place. At least the normally well behaved kids can. A little running and jumping in the yard is cool too.
An August party calls for squirt guns even if they don't fit the Webkinz theme. Just small ones so no one gets super soaked. Maybe those little rubber ball types in animal shapes and a bucket of water to fill them in.
For the theme gardening, find packets of seeds if you can (Big Lots has 5/$1 in my area and so does Walgreens here)so they can start their own garden next year.
These are all ideas that can be discarded. I'm just throwing out thoughts as they come to me. (cheap ones, I like cheap)
I will keep thinking.

I love that idea. I could print out a screen shot of the Webkinz seeds and make the packs out of that.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

rachelp #228531 Aug 15th, 2008 at 07:43 AM
rachelp Offline OP
Little Babe
2k Posts
OP Offline
Little Babe
2k Posts
I'm debating on what to do with the Whimsy Dragon. I don't know if I should wrap it and let him open it or bring in a bunch of helium balloons at some point in the party with the dragon holding them and see how long it takes him to notice it.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

#228535 Aug 15th, 2008 at 07:50 AM
rachelp Offline OP
Little Babe
2k Posts
OP Offline
Little Babe
2k Posts
I don't think so. Did you see the article a couple weeks ago where they found that guys body who had tried it? We can sit you at the bottom of the stairs and tie balloons to you to fly you upstairs. That's about as far as you're going.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

#228562 Aug 15th, 2008 at 10:07 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
If you do the unwrapped helium balloon thing, or for any pets, I would remove the code tag for safe keeping. Not that you don't have wonderful and honest little friends. But if the temptation isn't there.......

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #230242 Aug 23rd, 2008 at 04:29 PM
rachelp Offline OP
Little Babe
2k Posts
OP Offline
Little Babe
2k Posts
The party is over and the kids all had a great time. The big hit was the Wheel of Wow. They all went nutz for it!

[Linked Image]

We still haven't gotten the dinosaur and bluejay in the mail yet. I ordered the new bat a couple days ago, too. But Brennan got his treasured Whimsy Dragon and the deer. One of his friends got him the silverback gorilla that he wanted really bad. Our Webkinz family continues to grow!!

[Linked Image]

Rachel

rachelp #230261 Aug 23rd, 2008 at 06:28 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
You did a great job on the wheel, Rachel. I bet the kids had a very good time. And did you take the time to have a good time with them?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #230263 Aug 23rd, 2008 at 06:36 PM
rachelp Offline OP
Little Babe
2k Posts
OP Offline
Little Babe
2k Posts
I did have a good time. Brennan was thrilled with everything. It was worth all the work. Brennan wants the wheel hung up in his room now.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

rachelp #230275 Aug 23rd, 2008 at 08:29 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
When my older son turned 8 (I think) I did a pirate party for him. I made a treasure chest cake. And tossed pennies and a few larger coins into the tallish grass for a treasure hunt. I made scoops out of gallon bleach bottles and bought wiffle balls for a ball toss game (that the kids took home with them). I made a huge skull and cross-bones flag to hang on the fence. I also made eye patches for everyone and had them come in their best pirate gear. There weren't many party stores around back then like there are now and I was pretty broke anyway. But I did have little whatsits for loot bags. And prizes for winners.
He had that pirate flag on his bedroom wall for years. I still have it stored for him.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #230278 Aug 23rd, 2008 at 08:41 PM
rachelp Offline OP
Little Babe
2k Posts
OP Offline
Little Babe
2k Posts
That sounds really neat Tina. Great imagination! The party stores are full of cool stuff, but it all costs a fortune. It's fun making parties with your imagination like that. I really get into the birthday parties. OK, I admit it. I go way overboard. But I enjoy it and Brennan loves it. It was a bad week to have the added stress but well worth it to make my baby happy.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

rachelp #230286 Aug 23rd, 2008 at 09:31 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
rachel, i think it was exactly what you and brennan needed. he needed the "normalcy" and to feel important, and you needed the work to occupy your mind. you did a fabulous job thumbup

when matthew was 6, i did a space themed party, and made a space shuttle cake.

one year for the girls, we did teddy bears. we even had "pin the heart on the bear" where they had heart shaped stickers and we blindfolded them, then let them try to get it on the left side of the bear's chest. the bear was drawn on a poster board sized piece of paper.

you doing this, and sharing with us, is good for all of us. thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,842
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image