Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
i recently moved into a house with an empty garden. the landlord told me that about two weeks ago the garden was covered with a total weedkiller (non -selective) called sodium chlorate. is it safe to plant veg in this area? the only area he did not cover is a small patch which is close to the septic tank - which i personal have doubts about using. please help. i would like ot plant some winter veg without needing to resort to planters.
thanks

OP Offline
hello out there i spoke to a very helpful b&q guy today apparently that weedkiller will clear in about 6 weeks then it would be safe to plant. hope that helps anyone else who was in th esame situation.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thank you! i was wondering.

I would still be careful with certain delicate crops. But since you are talking winter veggies they should be ok. The guy where I garden that grows pumpkins claims they won't grow in the area that gets last year's corn field herbicide runoff. His pumpkins won't grow there and my cucumbers wouldn't either and that is a year later from when they use the herbicide.

Around here is by hand, by machine but never with weedkiller, I just can't take that chance and loose time.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image