Rate Thread
#22334 Apr 14th, 2007 at 07:44 AM
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
Well, I've started to dig out a garden at our new house. I got a 1' by 2' bed so far, took forever to remove that turf! I saw rose bushes at walmart yesterday, only $3.99 each, a few were hybrid teas, hopefully they still have some next week cuz I don't get allowence until Sunday, and someone owes me $20 at school (I paid for their trip cuz she forgot and it was the last day to hand in money)the next time we'll be visiting walmart is friday. today's we're going to the new house and I want to get a 5 by 7 bed, hopefully it's not too big. Here's what he old owners left behind:

patches of green shoots that smell like garlic
what appears to be a clump of columbine
tulips
iris
peony
hosta
two old plant labels that both say astilbe, both named
some sedum 2 rose of sharon
lots of creeping charlie!

I've decided to moce the bed to the side of the garden instead of along the far end of yard as I have planned. Since there's roughly three weeks until spring, I'll try to sow some frost hardy annuals and veggies and see if they can grow. I was thinking of these:
sweet peas
calendula
alyssum seed tape
cosmos
bachelor's buttons
but first I need to convince my dad to buy top soil!

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #22348 Apr 14th, 2007 at 08:11 AM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
I'm so glad you are making head-way at the new place!!
Sounds like they left a lot of nice plant beginnings for you to start from.
Really hoping your Dad will be interested enough in the garden and your hard work to buy you that top soil!!
Good luck this years with your planting.

I am enjoying the seeds you sent me!! seeds are coming up strong and healthy!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Wow Kenny----that's very cool that you get to plan all that new stuff. I think it's exciting starting from scratch....Have fun with it! thumbup

#22396 Apr 14th, 2007 at 09:17 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
that is awesome kenny. when do you move in? or are you and your family moving a little at a time? i was thinking that when you get moved in, you can get more done, in smaller bits of time (between homework, etc) and, any chance of pictures?

#22407 Apr 14th, 2007 at 09:29 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Oh, a brand new garden. Think of all the possibilities. How about a list of plants and seeds you'd like so we can get you restarted. PM me your address please.

We sell topsoil to the local contractors here, wish you were closer.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hi Kenny don't forget you still have your spring fling packages here. I'm sure that will be a nice start on your garden. Either this year or next year. That's fantastic that you have peonies in place. I can't wait until May so you can tell me which ones you have.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image