Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#223063 Jul 21st, 2008 at 05:49 AM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
My favorite is 'Roma VF'.It does well in my garden.

Waiting for fall...
Ciao emde-

My favourite tomato happens to also be a paste: Opalka, an heirloom. It's dry, very dense, has very few seeds, tender skin, and it's terrifically productive for me. It's my all-purpose tomato work horse. I use it for sauce, salsa, V-8 juice, pretty much any tomato product except sundried tomatoes..they're quite long and I use smaller tomatoes for that. Opalkas are also delicious enough to eat fresh and I use them for Caprese Salad quite a bit.

Other pastes I like are my family heirloom, Uncle Charlie's Giant Italian Pear, King Humbert which is a smaller roma-sized paste that I love to use for drying and also canning whole. It's a monster plant, though. Last year, it grew over 10 feet tall, so staking is manditory for that one. San Marzano Gigante, Nano, and Redorta, Prue and Uncle Steve's Italian Plum are also very good. I'm growing Romeo and Franchi Pear this year to test drive.

All of the above tomatoes are either heirlooms or open-pollinated, not hybrids so you can save the seeds from them and they will grow true the following year. I haven't seen blossom end rot on any of these.

Grazie a tutti,
Julianna

[Linked Image]

Mine is Italian Gold. I used to make a lot of sauce with it and it is very resistant to problems and produces a lot at one time. I don't really want to can anymore so I haven't grown it in a few years.
I think Opalka sounds and looks great. Sometime I'll grow it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,871
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image