Rate Thread
#222420 Jul 18th, 2008 at 01:07 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
It's too late this year, but just wondering for next. can you grow corn in pots? we live in a very wooded area, so we have lots of deer. it is almost impossible to grow corn around here unless you have a very high fence and electrify it. I joked the other day about growing it on the roof next year. today the kids club house caught my eye! ha ha. I could get up there easily enough and grow some in pots!?! any ideas? I also heard that deer won't hop a fence even if it is low if they can't see where to land on the other side? but then again, what do you do....plant 4-5 ft of shurbs on the other side of the fence? anyone grow corn in an area with lots of deer?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #222461 Jul 18th, 2008 at 05:57 PM
My opinion is that you would have to have ALOT of pots. Corn has to be grown in a larger area to produce well. Have you tried a motion detector sprinkler? All animals are scared off my getting sprayed.

cricket #222475 Jul 18th, 2008 at 07:05 PM
Pots would be tuff if you want any kind of quantity and getting good pollenation. We have deer issues also-mainly when corn is just getting started the first month. The deer like to chew it down to the dirt. We've had good luck with a product called Plantskydd. Its main ingredient is bovine blood. Its all a dry powder just mix with water. We spray all the plants with a pump sprayer. It lasts through quite a few rainfalls/waterings. Its easy to see when its time to reapply. I believe it works on other critters too, I don't have the package in front of me at the moment. We buy it a the local farm store.

Good luck in your efforts wildlife is very frustrating at times.

Soilmover #222482 Jul 18th, 2008 at 07:22 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
well, I don't want to spend a lot on motions sprinklers. for that cost I could probably fence and electrify.
I've only tried corn out here once. and they did eat it down when it was nice and young and tender? anyone else used this 'Plantskydd'? 'our' deer eat my zinnia's and 4 oclocks and loofa's.

Cricket

cricket #222485 Jul 18th, 2008 at 07:24 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Oh...what I wanted to ask also was... if you get through the period of time when the corn plant was young and tender, would the deer more than likely leave it alone? (maybe that's a dumb question - deer like corn)

Cricket

cricket #222494 Jul 18th, 2008 at 07:46 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
you can do it in pots, a cluster of 5 gallon buckets one stalk per. bunch the buckets in groups of 4-7

or

put in a raised bed close to the house for your corn and beans. put the beans in after the corn gets growing, and let them use the corn for the trellis. you get a two-fer that way, and it looks nice. closer to the house, you won't get the deer as bad.

also, you can surround your corn with sunflowers, it helps some.

#222885 Jul 20th, 2008 at 12:55 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
I had sunflowers a few years back in the yard but RIGHT on the edge of our front porch. the deer ate them. ha ha

Cricket

cricket #223007 Jul 20th, 2008 at 07:28 PM
There are motion detector sprinklers around $50 and you have them year after year and they can be moved. I am very happy with mine (once I stopped the little leak) and love that it is humane and works on all animals. One sprinkler would cover a normal size garden (not too big).

Tamara from Minnesota #223075 Jul 21st, 2008 at 06:18 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
I had a hooting owl motion detector once, worked great on keeping the cats out so I can definately see that a water detector would work even better for any animal.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image