Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#222972 Jul 20th, 2008 at 04:55 PM
Erinne Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a row of beets, most of which have gone to seed, but that aren't a very big beet size. They're the size of baby beets, and they don't seem to be getting any bigger. Should I just harvest them for what they are? What can I do to help them get bigger in the future?

As for the radishes, it's my second batch of the season. The first one went fine. Nice size bulbs. Now (in a different spot in the garden) they're all leaves. There's only a couple that have bulbed out at all! The rest are just thin, red roots. Any ideas why?

And again, thanks to all of you who come to answer basic questions like mine.

Peace and Soybeans,

ERN
Erinne #223006 Jul 20th, 2008 at 07:25 PM
I've never grown beets before but radishes just get too hot this time of year and 'bolt'. The ones that don't form a bulb have gone to seed. If any are getting flower stalks or too tall of leaves throw them out. Only eat the ones with small, short leaves and smaller bulbs. I think it is the same with beets but I am not sure. Give up for now and then start more for fall.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
The heat is bolting your produce. Once they go to seed they will just get tough and woody. That's why your early crop was the best.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Rip out the beets and start new ones. Beets are heavy feeders and like a lot of water. I give mine some fish emulsion every week or so amd water them every other day.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image