Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#222110 Jul 16th, 2008 at 06:22 PM
OP Offline
I have enough veggies to sell. When I am over at my field weeding I am going to put signs on the busy highway it is on for organic veggies. Then I will have a white board with the available veggies/herbs and prices. So I am working out the prices. They are completely organically grown all season (previous years had who knows what on the land) so the prices can be higher.

What do you think for?
squash: regular, eight ball, patty pan
slender young green beans
radishes
walla walla onions
leeks
basil: sweet and regular
lettuce (few)
napa cabbage (few)
swiss chard (few)
dill, chives, oregano, mint, sage and thyme also available from home.

should have soon:
tomatoes: brandywine, vine on medium size, yellow cherry, goliath
garlic
shallots
hot peppers
sweet corn
fingerling and blue potatoes
melons

fall crops:
broccoli:regular and rabe
cauliflower
rutabaga
carrot, radish
lettuce
peas
cabbage
kale
chard
brussels
bok choy

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
You have to be careful Tamara, you can't sell 'organic' unless you can prove it....and not knowing what was in the ground before you started might be a problem.

Also even the fertilizer you used has to be proven organic as well.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
OP Offline
Um I don't think the kind of selling I'm doing needs to be proven in any way. No where am I saying I am "certified organic" and if anyone asks I will tell them previous years had who knows what put on. But as for this season, yes, everything is certified organic that I have used.
There are no other local stands (not that I have a stand- only a few veggies too many that I can sell) that are selling organic. I really need advice on pricing. I should have stopped at the farmer's market today but it was so hot and I had ice cream in the car!

1k Posts
1k Posts
just make your pricing competitive with the supermarkets.

Waiting for fall...
OP Offline
Ok. I looked on two online grocery stores (one is the one I work at) and used the organic prices as a guide, but went somewhat lower than that. I didn't get much business! Only 2 cars came in. One was a lady crazy about organics. I told her I have only grown one year and all around me are pesticide laden fields but she was so happy to find one 'farmer' in the area trying to be organic. She can't find a single local grower that tries to grow naturally. So all together I made $5 while I weeded. I am thinking of leaving a sign up with my phone number for orders since I am not planning to be there more than 3 times a week at most. I don't have a lot of produce now but don't want it to be wasted. I have several little leaf lettuce bunches that will bolt soon if no one eats them.
So I sold:
3 small zucchini
1 bunch old chunky radishes
1 bunch basil
1 bunch almost bolted side shoots of broccoli
1 pint of French green beans
starting out small to be sure! :wink:

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Tamara from Minnesota
So I sold:
3 small zucchini
1 bunch old chunky radishes
1 bunch basil
1 bunch almost bolted side shoots of broccoli
1 pint of French green beans
starting out small to be sure! :wink:

clap You go girl.......! shots

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #222493 Jul 18th, 2008 at 07:43 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup you might put a sign out that says what days you plan to be there.

#222772 Jul 20th, 2008 at 06:19 AM
Yes as long as you make it clear they are organically grown but not certified you should be ok. I have never sold any of mine but think I will try this year. I'm going to price my tomatoes just under the local greenhouse grower. And the onions ect I will price by the grocery store prices. They are way better so should be worth as much. JMO. JD

elkhwc #222774 Jul 20th, 2008 at 06:22 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Perhaps I'll sell some winter veggies this year.

Waiting for fall...
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
TM, you must plant a lot. We just eat or give away what we have extra. I've heard that the man who lived here before us sold pecans. I guess we could do that butit's too much work. flwr

OP Offline
Second day selling. I sold $25 and again had just 2 customers. I also made $36.50 at the county fair. I am entering the state fair and hopefully will make a few bucks to pay for gas.
I am saving what I earn to buy this. It will save my back this fall and next year!

Also if anyone has advice on state fairs vs county fairs please post. Things are done differently.

Hopefully word of mouth & roadside visibilty will start to spread over time and your customer base will grow. Good service and good produce sell themselves. There is a roadside stand just a ways up the road from us that always gets a good crowd around the afternoon rush hour, they seem to slowly get more cars parked every year.

A friend of mine is a beekeeper that enters hand dipped beeswax candles every year at the MN state fair. He likes their setup, and says its not much of a hassle that's why he keeps doing it every year. He's in the Horticulture building too. Good luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image