#211111 May 24th, 2008 at 03:20 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

here is the first pictures of my 3 sick trees---this is an Autumn Blaze Maple--I am showing the full tree and the bark so you can see how well the top of the tree is doing.--I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a disease or a bug infestation and what I could do about it.

this is a tree in my back yard-

Last edited by JunieGirl; May 24th, 2008 at 03:30 PM.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #211112 May 24th, 2008 at 03:24 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is a Red Sunset maple--it is in the front yard.--it is black because back in the beginning we sprayed it with wound spray--it didn't seem to help. The brown areas are where more bark has come loose--My DH has been making sure the loose pieces are not allowed to stay on the tree so as to not harbor bugs nor excess water.

________

JunieGirl #211113 May 24th, 2008 at 03:29 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
why i don't know carol, but it must be frustrating. i hope someone comes along who can help you!

JunieGirl #211114 May 24th, 2008 at 03:29 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
[Linked Image]

this is the other Red Sunset maple on the other side of the front yard.

I did not take a picture of the whole tree--but it's top is a nice as the other one in the front yard.

Also we were wondering if covering the 'sick' places with electrical tape would help or harm them??? we would hate to lose these 3 trees-- and would really appreciate any help in discovering what their problems are.

any suggestions would be welcome. thank you

________

JunieGirl #211229 May 25th, 2008 at 06:05 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Oh Carol, those are sickly. The first might make it but the other looks like decay has already set in. Once the damage is too severe the trees can't carry nutrients through the bark...

Maples suffer from 'perennial cankers' from a small wound or an insect breaking the bark. It usually happens in the small trees within 10 feet of the ground. The trunk swells around the canker making it look like a bullseye.

I don't know if the second and third tree is going to make it, looks severe. I have a crabapple tree in the same position right now. I sprayed the canker with a horticultural oil(to keep bugs out), but it has split the same. Mine was caused from the hail hitting and damaging it.

Certainly is maddening, hoping someone can give you more info....as I would like to save my crabapple tree also.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #211285 May 25th, 2008 at 09:28 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
thank you tamara---I too am hoping someone will be able to help us both---I would really like to save my trees as i am sure you would like to save yours.

________

JunieGirl #211424 May 25th, 2008 at 06:15 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Yikes Carol! I hope that can be fixed. That looks terrible. I have 2 Crimson King Maples but luckily they've never done that before---I'd cry. Love those trees.

Fingers crossed that yours and Tams both pull thru.

#211572 May 26th, 2008 at 12:31 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
The Crimson King is fine---so far---it is the red suset maples and the 1 Autumnsomething or other that are 'sick'.

and yes I hope someone can help us too! But thanks---

________

JunieGirl #211692 May 27th, 2008 at 04:46 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
My grandfather told me that my tree has 'frost crack'...never heard of it but I looked it up and this is what I found......

Frost cracks are often the result of some sort of predisposing factor, which occurred to the trunk years earlier. In late winter and early spring, water in the inner bark and in the wood expands and contracts under fluctuating temperatures. Defective wood does not contract as well as healthy wood. Rapid expansion and contraction of water within the wood and bark, particularly under falling night temperatures, can result in a crack. Frost cracks may be up to several feet long and are often found on the southwest side of the tree. These cracks may heal in the summer only to reopen again in winter. Successive cracking and healing over years can result in the formation of “frost ribs” on the sides of affected trees. Frost cracks can act as sites of entry for wood decay organisms.

Remove cracked bark on trunk. After damage has occurred, the tree will normally heal itself through growth of the inner bark, on the edges of the split. A sharp, sterilized knife (dipped in 10% bleach solution or 70% alcohol for several minutes) could be used to remove loose bark from the area of the split, which will speed up the healing process . The resulting bare patch on the trunk should be left untreated. Tree wound paints and tars do not help in wound healing, and should NOT be applied. Encourage good tree vigour with spring fertilizer applications if the tree is exhibiting nutrient deficiencies and provide adequate water in hot dry weather.

From side view, the frost crack appears as
an extended vertical crack on the side of the tree trunk

Management of Frost Cracks
Avoiding fertilization late in the growing season can reduce the incidence of splits. Instead, wait to apply fertilizer until after the leaves have dropped in the fall.

Avoid damaging the bark of trees when they are young. B bumping into trees with lawn mowers, car bumpers, golf clubs, shovels, etc. should be avoided.

Place mulch around young trees to eliminate the need for mowing close to the trunk to prevent damage from lawnmower and grass trimmers.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #213842 Jun 5th, 2008 at 11:01 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
The first one looks like it damaged a while ago and had begun to heal. The rounding of the bark around the wound is a sign of healing called "CODIT" - Compartmentalization Of Decay In Trees. The tree will build barriers to stop the spread of the damage from the wound. This is good. The bark is the 'cork cambium and acts as a protector to the 'nutritional cambium' which is composed of 'xylem' which moves water and nutrients vrtically and 'phloem' which moves sugars and starches horizontally.

It is best to not treat the wounds at all. This just slows the tree's natural healing process.

The best thing to do is to feed the tree to give it strength to recover. Use fertilizer and 'Superthrive'.

Certified Arborist #WE-8112A

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

RugbyHukr #213881 Jun 5th, 2008 at 03:52 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
RugbyHukr:

Thank you so very much----I and my husband appreciate your input very much.

________

JunieGirl #221475 Jul 12th, 2008 at 09:12 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
[Linked Image]

This is my new Autumn Flame maple. It is where my new Crimson King maple was.

Rod said the roots must have been dead when we originally bought it.

The good news?// when we returned it, they gave us all our money back and when we bought the new one to replace it that one was on sale. We saved $20.00.

I really did want the Crimson King though..... why

________

JunieGirl #221476 Jul 12th, 2008 at 09:16 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
This is my new Autumn Flame maple. It is where my new Crimson King maple was.

Rod said the roots must have been dead when we originally bought it.

The good news?// when we returned it, they gave us all our money back and when we bought the new one to replace it that one was on sale. We saved $20.00.

I really did want the Crimson King though..... why

[Linked Image]

OK---I rotated this in my photobucket and it is right side up in there--so why did'nt it transfer to here correctly???? egad

________

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image