Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#217956 Jun 23rd, 2008 at 04:32 PM
OP Offline
I am going to plant some fall veggies. I have put anti-germination stuff all over my garden to prevent weeds so I don't think I can successfully direct seed anything for the rest of the year. I need to start carrots, peas, beans, radish, rutabaga, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, and spinach (I already started greens and scallions in a tray like normal).
The peas and beans can be germinated on wet paper towels I suppose and the brassicas can be started in peat trays but what about carrots, radish and rutabagas? Or any other good ideas for getting this stuff going? It is cool in my basement so it should all germinate there ok.
Also anybody have experience with rutabaga? It is my first time trying them. Any suggestions for any of my fall crops?

OP Offline
Any ideas for germinating root crop seeds?

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
there isn't any reason that I know of that you can't do the carrots and radishes in trays of peat moss. Then you can transplant them when they are large enough to handle. I've never done rutabaga. Good luck with your veggie garden. I just look out at mine and it is full of weeds. I've got to get out there.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #219330 Jun 30th, 2008 at 05:49 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Only problem is that root crops don't like having their roots disturbed....you'll have to be really careful.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #219463 Jun 30th, 2008 at 05:37 PM
OP Offline
I am tempted to either just plant the whole packet at the field and assume the corn gluten and preen is not working that well or to try to germinate them on wet paper towels. It is new moon this week and I wanted to plant root crop seeds with the moon. I have never grown rutabagas before.

I don't know if anyone here is familiar with the winter sowing method, but I did all my veggies (expect peppers and radish) that way this year in early spring...including Carrots 'Purple Dragon'. I transferred them to the prepared garden area when they were just 1.5" to 2" tall. All total I planted 40 and gave the rest away. I also did Broccoli, Mustard, Collard, Tomato, Lettuce and Popcorn this year :)
Here they are just sprouting on April 30th....it filled in much more than this within a few weeks [Linked Image]
Here they are a few days after planting
[Linked Image]
June 25th
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image