Rate Thread
#218157 Jun 24th, 2008 at 02:43 PM
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
So everyone has their fair share of weeds and diseases, and on the rare occasion neighbours. But I wonder what what annoys you in the garden? Well, for me, when I'm weeding in silence and meditating (well not exactly, but I do keep my focus) and all of a sudden a neighbour's dog across the railroad track starts to bark and won't shut up. Way to ruin the peace. Same goes to the neighbours who decide to talk loudly, as if they want the whole neighbourhood to hear. But I'm happy to say the neighbour's dog (the one to our right) just ignores me and does her thing, while the neighbour on the other side has a huge dog. I think our fear of each other is mutual.

What else annoys me? The little pill bugs that roll up in a ball and find a home under all your pots. They just look so disgusting and weird.

what really annoys me is how my mom does everything against the 'gardening common knowledge' yet manages to grow her veggies while if I follow all the culture requirements not everything will grow for me. She uses top soil in her containers and she does have drainage holes.

This is the perfect time and place to vent!

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Ha ha ha......good idea for a thread!
I had a neighbor that sounds like your mom. he watered around 2 in the afternoon with the sun a blazing and a huge sprinkler that soaked all the leaves and nothing burned up. he planted in clay (in some areas around here theres only an inch or so of top soil) never tilled the soil....grew everything in direct sun even shade plants! his stuff looked better than mine.
and my next pet peeve is so horrible and selfish. when I go to plant seedlings or transplant something my young daughter is right out there beside me asking to help. inside I wanna yell NO - they're mine! but, I don't of course, I let her help. she's actually getting quite good at planting and now her latest thing is collecting seed. which I'm just learning myself so some stuff I have to look up for her so I can tell her how it's done.
I THINK pill bugs are 'good' bugs, Kennyso?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
From what I've read about them:
"They will feed on the tender foliage, stems and roots of young garden vegetable transplants, seedlings and bedding plants. They also rasp the outer skin of cucumbers laying on the ground in gardens, causing fruit to be deformed and blemished."

I think they're more of a nuisence and I HATE them with a PASSION!!!!!! lol sooo disgusting

[Linked Image]

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Well, I have been wrong once or twice. why lol

Cricket

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I detest pillbugs!!!!!! I have them EVERYWHERE....I mean, under every single statue and pot in my yard, and all thru the soil.....you can't dig without coming across a ton of them. I wish there were a way to get rid of them. They bug the &*(*$&* out of me..... rspb

The leaves on my neighbors gigantic tree that's over twice as tall as their house bug me.....because they always blow right into my yard and I spend all fall raking them up.

2 of my neighbors dogs bark at me if I'm outside, and that bugs me because I've lived here for five years---I'm not a stranger anymore....they should be used to me by now---really they bark at everything though. lol

#218235 Jun 25th, 2008 at 03:09 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
The flies annoy me....gardening season has just started here and I already look like I have chicken pox.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Those little gnats that live underneath the trees. I get to sweating and they swarm me. Ughhhhhhhhh!

I think the pill bugs are cute. They look like little armadillos. I've never seen them do any harm. I'm suprised. Mom said they were a good bug. Talk about wrong information.

The Barking Dogs are far enough away that they don't bother me like they did in the city. I can't begin to explain that except to say the the country really sooths my soul.

That dead tree beside my house bothers me and it will until I find a way to take it down safely. Anyone know how I can attach guide wires to it with out climbing it or having a big step ladder? I'm afraid of heights and I just need something to hold it so it can't fall on my house when I cut it down.

I have a mole/vole in the backyard now he is going to get annoying I'm sure. Especially since I have bulbs planted. He has got to go.

Ok I'll stop because if I focus on this much more it could be bad for me.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Not wanting to hi-jack a post but how big is the tree Tammy?

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
about 40 feet tall and maybe 4 feet around. The problem is it is only about 13 feet from the side of my house and I'm down slope of it. Not a happy situation.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
DO NOT attempt it yourself....that's too big.

Is it close to any power lines? If so, the power company will remove it for free if they see it as a future danger to their lines.

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I've heard your home owners insurance will pay to have a tree cut down if it is in danger of falling on your home.

ok, now back to the topic.

wasps bug me! I don't like to kill them cause they eat SO many bugs, but when I start sweating they come after my head. I think they like my shampoo.

Cricket

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I didn't know that wasps ate bugs. Maybe I'll leave them alone in future. That is as long as they don't build their nests in my shed. That's not a good place for them. Or underneath my deck where they dive bomb me when I go out.

Home owners insurance huh? I'll have to ask my agent. What kind of insurance do you have? I have State Farm.

[Linked Image]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
the wasps are great hunters. they also lay eggs in the horn worm tomatoe worm. if you have tomatoes, wasps are very much your friend. but I agree...they can find other places to build their nest.
I think the deal with the home insurance paying for dead tree removal is they'd rather pay to cut down a dead tree than fix a roof, walls ect. actually, I believe, most won't cover damage from a dead tree falling on your home. (home owners neglect)

Cricket

kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
Regular wasps don't eat insects, they just build hugh paper nest and sting whatever tried to get close to them.
The tiny parasitic wasps will kill insects, they lay their eggs in the insect (hornworm) and when they hatch, they eat the host alive and then they form cuccoons and leave the host. I've got tons of them I think, because there are tons of little cuccoons on the tree outside. Disgusts me how they lay eggs on the leaves and make the leaves so disgusting and bumpy with holes (like lace lol) but they're good.

What bugs me...never having enough compost. Looks like I'm going to have to buy another composter (for the first time wince we moved here, the composter is full of stuff) but they cost $60 for a plastic one. Guess I'll have to be on the look out for free composters then lol

[Linked Image]

500 Posts
500 Posts
plants that are too tall in front of the shorter ones that i should have rearranged this spring if i had remembered that they were going to get so way taller, now i resort to pruning them back a little and forcing them to bloom on a mutated little plant. there's a perky little mouse living in my garden and she bolts from the undercover, dashing between the legs of the patio furniture, hurls herself into the dog food bowls, grabs a morsel and she's gone. she annoys me cuz she's so bold. ran right across my foot one morning when i was sitting quietly doing my sudoku puzzle and having coffee. and then there's the mockingbird....i could just kill him! haha

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Pat: you need a different 'set' of critteres in you r yard--the ones already there jsut do not seem to be behaving 'correctly'--- haha

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by patunia
ran right across my foot one morning when i was sitting quietly doing my sudoku puzzle and having coffee.

yikes
no likey the mouses! nervous

Cricket

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
lol I no likey the spiders.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image