Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Bestofour #216159 Jun 15th, 2008 at 05:01 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
thankyou for the information. I'll keep an eye out for them.

[Linked Image]
cricket #216335 Jun 16th, 2008 at 07:17 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by cricket
I've been tossing around the idea of using old cans to make a wind chime. thought it would be a fun project for the kids. coffee cans, soup and veggie cans tuna cans....tying them somehow with some fishing line???? you'd have to get everything precisely balanced though wouldn't you? anyone have any thoughts on the wind chime idea?

I would simply punch a hole in the center of the bottom of each can using something like a fat nail.

Then, I'd cut lengths of macrame cord or heavy twine such as Jute, and tie a fatter-than-the-hole knot at one end and thread the other end up through the hole. The un-knotted end would be used to secure it to the thing I was using as a hanger.

Before I connected them together, though, I would hang them separately so I could paint each one or decoupage them with a waterproof coating. Once they were dry, I'd hang them into the final arrangement.

The only reason you'd have to be concerned about balancing the cans is if you were making it a mobile. An ordinary chime doesn't have to be particularly balanced. You just have to make sure they are ultimately hanging close enough to bump into one another with little provocation.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #216337 Jun 16th, 2008 at 07:26 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Decoupage ...How do you do that ?/ I have photos and dont know what to use to do it .Help

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #216341 Jun 16th, 2008 at 07:59 AM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
thanks, merme. so you think some heavier rope would work better than fishing line? we have a couple of cans we put into the bonfire to give them a nice charred look. but, we have some paint too.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #216506 Jun 17th, 2008 at 04:27 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I wish I didn't get so much junk mail. It seems irresponsible of the companies involved, to purposefully create all that waste and leave it up to the other person to dispose of it properly!

I have friends who subscribe to magazines as a group. Each person picks a different magazine so the entire group gets to read them all. I do not live close enough to my friends to participate and so I usually do not subscribe to anything. But recently an out-of-state friend gave me Good Housekeeping as a gift and every month I wish I had someone to pass it along to. So I'm thinking of taking them to a waiting room somewhere.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #216524 Jun 17th, 2008 at 07:14 AM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme
an out-of-state friend gave me Good Housekeeping as a gift and every month I wish I had someone to pass it along to. So I'm thinking of taking them to a waiting room somewhere.
Merme

when my dad was in the hospital years ago, people from work brought me their old magazines and I'd drop them off in the waiting areas when I went up to visit him.
the library here has old magazines for 10 cents each. I usually grab some each time we go to put out on the porch, bathrooms, living room. the info is old, but with most of the magazines it doesn't really matter.

Cricket

cricket #216754 Jun 18th, 2008 at 03:09 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I get bothered by the amount of plastic in our lives. I try to reuse what I can but it isn't always possible. I know it is a way for manufacturers to make thing inexpensively, but still.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #216759 Jun 18th, 2008 at 03:53 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
we don't eat a lot of packaged food, but I save most of the containers if they're plastic. I use them for seed containers, jello, dips, trays for organizing things in, in drawers...the ones with dividers in them are good for putting cut up veggies in. everyone can build they're own salad that way.

Cricket

cricket #216763 Jun 18th, 2008 at 04:04 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Those are some very good ideas, Cricket.

But oh, it isn't just the plastic in the kitchen that bothers me; it is everywhere else in the house I find it!

Sometimes I feel like we are all drowning in plastic!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #216770 Jun 18th, 2008 at 04:52 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I cut the tops off plastic grape holders and use them on my window sills for plants there....
I used the bottom to hold soil in the flower pot to keep it cleaner.. Also drains the soil very well.
Yogurt cups for plants and give away .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #216816 Jun 18th, 2008 at 07:09 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
plastic strawberry cartons for my tomatos from the garden. that way they don't get crushed in the fridge.
those tiny plastic containers with lids that come out of those 'gum ball' machines. the 'gum ball' machines that give tiny toys - for seed. label the top with a sharpy, add small amt of cotten to absorb moisture. (my kids get the toys, not me. he he)

Cricket

cricket #217001 Jun 19th, 2008 at 05:05 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap

Your a smart cricket...... haha

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image