Rate Thread
#215698 Jun 13th, 2008 at 07:51 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Are there 'bad' bugs that you don't want in your compost? If I see a grub, I take it out. I've had ants, and I know they are not a prob and how to get rid of them. but, I have some very strange bugs in my compost. It was getting dark, so I didn't get a pic this evening. my camera works best in some bright sunlight. maybe I can get some shots tomorrow. some of the bugs looked like a cross between a doodle bug (pill bug) and an earth worm. I had some type of bettle bugs in there, and even a couple of spiders. I added some chopped garlic. I know that will deter the ants. but, I have no idea what these others are and what eggs they might be laying in my 'dirt'. why madd nervous

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #215715 Jun 13th, 2008 at 08:12 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
any bug in your compost bin is fine. they help break down the compost into soil. now in your garden is another story. that's part of the reason for sifting compost.

#215717 Jun 13th, 2008 at 08:15 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
that's part of the reason for sifting compost.

....sifting compost??? why

Cricket

cricket #215747 Jun 14th, 2008 at 03:11 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
lol, I can see the expression on your face cricket and it is priceless. Yes I do sift my compost. I do it because I only have one pile and so everything goes in there constantly. Rather than having 3 where 2 are decomposing and I'm only adding to one. Of course now if I have enough raw material I may have a three pile system. Anyway, on about sifting. Because there is material in my pile that shouldn't be in the garden yet I sift it. Taking all the lumps and bumps and putting them back in the pile for further decomposing. Hope I made sense there.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #215795 Jun 14th, 2008 at 06:20 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper
about sifting. Because there is material in my pile that shouldn't be in the garden yet I sift it. Taking all the lumps and bumps and putting them back in the pile for further decomposing. Hope I made sense there.

I use the same method as you TK ! Just about every time I turn it. I sift it a little bit,, I use a rubbermaid trash can that I made holes in all sides and bottom so air can circulate.after I while I sift all large lumps I distribute thru out the compost, and lot of those I place on top as that is where I'm adding more greens and browns and it gets that top layer going faster as the lumps have already begun to decompose it can fuel the new add-ins, BTW Cricket I went to a restaurant supply store and got a Huge long handled Deep fryer basket as my sifter It works great but because it's so large I tend to put too much compost in it to sift and it gets heavy,, I still haven't learned not to fill it so full,, rolz touched knowing it will tire my arm out quickly like that,, lol lol

Last summer I had a problem with ants reaaaalllly bad, I just put corn meal in it,, they eat the corn meal then POP they explode notme When I see worms in the compost I'm happy because as Jiffy said they help not hurt!
Besides once the compost heats and cooks it will burn out most all the creepy bugs that may do damage!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #215827 Jun 14th, 2008 at 09:20 AM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by angelblossom
Besides once the compost heats and cooks it will burn out most all the creepy bugs that may do damage!

and any eggs they may lay?

Oh, I get it about the sifting now! lol

I have three very large buckets with holes in the bottom I use for compost. they're about 2 feet across and 3 feet deep. One bucket sitting, cooking. another bucket I put stuff in. and the third I use to dump one bucket in...then use the empty bucket to dump the other in. instead of stirring, ya know. it is the best system for that I've come up with so far.

Cricket

cricket #215830 Jun 14th, 2008 at 09:26 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
that sounds like a good system to me. I'm old fashioned I guess. I still get out there with the rake and shovel and pull the pile apart and then pile it all back up again. I think I just like playing in the dirt.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #215843 Jun 14th, 2008 at 11:24 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by tkhooper
...I think I just like playing in the dirt.
don't we all grin

#216027 Jun 15th, 2008 at 06:07 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I take my compost from the bottom of the pile, no lumps that way.

Bestofour #216160 Jun 15th, 2008 at 05:03 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Now Betofour don't be ruining all my fun lol. Just kidding. That is the smartest thing to do. I had a neighbor that did it that way. No fuss, no muss.

[Linked Image]
Anonymous #353933 Feb 21st, 2012 at 02:43 PM
I think I might be sifting my compost wrong but I'm not sure and I still get bugs in my soil and want to know if it's okay and if not what can I do to solve the problem that I have

Last edited by caligreenthumb; Feb 21st, 2012 at 02:44 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image