Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#215360 Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:16 PM
OP Offline
Hey, im new here and i have some questions about the Dumb Cane plant, also known as Dieffenbachia (sorry if i mispelled), I bought it a couple of days ago and i've been looking on the internet and in books about water, fertilizer, light, and etc. And i can't seem to get a solid answer, all of these sources give me something different, so i would find it helpfull if an actual person could tell me what all it takes to grow this nice plant. All im sure is that you should let the soild dry slightly before watering.

Also im wondering if i should keep this plant indoors all year or let it summer outdoors. I live in Southern Arkansas, on the edge of 7b and 8a USDA hardiness zone. It can get up to 80, 90, or even 100 degres F. sometimes in the summer, and it is usually very humid. Sorry for this long post, but I would really enjoy anybody's answers.
-Alex

AlexArnold #215437 Jun 12th, 2008 at 10:20 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
alex, you're correct that you should let the soil dry out a little...not completely though. and it should be a fast-draining mix - like regular plain soil mixed with cactus soil. the container it's in should have drainage holes and, when you water, do so thoroughly (until you see a bit of water coming out the bottom).

depending on the size of the container it should only need watered every couple weeks (less if in a small pot and longer if the pot is larger).

you can certainly put it outside for the summer - just introduce it to full sunlight gradually (and then in reverse in the fall to lower light conditions). you will have to check the soil more often when it's outside and may have to water more frequently when it's really hot out.

it will do fine down to temps around 55, i think. so, once night temps are consistantly above that, bring it out and when it's starting to chill down in the fall, bring it inside again.

Zone 6b
AlexArnold #215441 Jun 12th, 2008 at 10:28 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I leave my diff outside all summer and I"m in zone 9. it can even take some direct sunlight in the heat of the afternoon, but probably prefers dappled. I bring mine in for the winter when temps drops around 50 degrees. I let mine dry out somewhat between waterings, but keep it on the moist side. mine grows like a stripped ape!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #215461 Jun 12th, 2008 at 12:10 PM
OP Offline
Thanks cricket and Joclyn, I appreciate your responses. What about fertilizer? I just bought it from Lowe's, and i've always read not to fertilize new plants. So how long should i wait until I can fertilize it, and how much should I fertilize it. On the internet some people say every 2 weeks, some every month, and some people say every other month? So I am a little puzzled on that topic, also should I use liquid or solid fertilizer, and how much. Sorry for all those questions, but i feel better whenever an actual person with some experience tells me what to do. I really like this plant and it's about one foot tall, how long does anyone think it will take to reach heights such as 3 or 4 feet.

AlexArnold #215468 Jun 12th, 2008 at 01:04 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I don't fertilize mine at all. I may have added some compost to it early this spring when I divided up the plant into two different pots. the plants you get from lowes already have very nice soil. I wouldn't worry about any fertilizer for a while, but I'm not big on fertilizer to begin with.

Cricket

cricket #215639 Jun 13th, 2008 at 02:32 PM
OP Offline
How big is your Dieffenbachia, and how old is it? I'm just curious on how fast and big Dieffenbachia's grow.

AlexArnold #215642 Jun 13th, 2008 at 04:00 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I got mine last year and it has doubled in size. (doubled in amount of plant, from new shoots coming up from the roots....not in height.) not sure how old it is. it was a full grown plant when I got it and was in about a 2-3 gallon pot. bop

Last edited by cricket; Jun 13th, 2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: added sentence

Cricket

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image