Print Thread
Rate Thread
#151607 Nov 14th, 2007 at 07:13 PM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Towards quitting smoking. I'm going to try welbutrin, hope it works for me. I don't have much of a support system here at home so I'm hoping to get some here. I know there are some members here who have successfully quit, what worked for you? Any tips, tricks, or advice? I really want to quit this time.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Good for you Cheryl.....

I'm a smoker and it can be awfully scary just thinking of quitting--they are like a crutch...an old cruel friend.

You can do it.... kissie I have faith in you, and if you do slip up don't be too hard on yourself....

#151618 Nov 14th, 2007 at 07:24 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
That's great Cheryl. Just having the desire to quit is the first step.

Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
kissie kissie kissie kissie

THE SPROUT IS BACK!
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
cheryl, many people i know figured out the coin value of each cigarette, and when the urge strikes, they put that amount in a pickle jar. then set a silent timer for 10. if they still want a cigarette after 10 mins, they either have one, or put the money in the jar again. after there is enough money in the jar, when they put the money in it, they will start counting it to see how much they are saving. the silent timer is important. because you need to know how much time has elapsed, but you don't want a buzzer/bell to "remind" you that you can now smoke.

someone else i know timed the average length of time she took to smoke a cigarette and when she wanted one, she would take that much time to do something she enjoyed that didn't involve food or cigarettes. if she still really really wanted one then, she would have one.

another person timed themselves for statistical purposes for a week to find the average time between cigarettes. then he would make himself wait at least that long between smokes. and if he could wait longer, he would put money in a jar to represent the cigarette saved.

and the last technique i have heard about was to brush your teeth everytime you want one, because frequently, folks won't smoke right after they brush their teeth.

i know you can do it, i have faith. and i'll be thinking of you and sending you good thoughts.

oh, and use the cigarette money you save to reward yourself once a week (or however often). so, if you smoke a pack a day, and they are $4 a pack, that makes then 20 cents per smoke. so if you skip the equivalent of a pack, that gives you $4 for one week, that will buy a pair of cool toe socks!

2 packs will get you a cute t-shirt at target or walmart, etc.

good luck, i'm proud of you for even trying! kissie

#151752 Nov 14th, 2007 at 10:01 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts

First & formost--congratulations Cheryl----- clap

I have never smoked but my DH did. the first th ing that helped him was my DD when she was about 2 she looked over at her daddy as he was smooking 7 said, daddy why do you smoke--don't you know that is bad for you---?? he has not smoked a cigerette since--

but what helped him was---he put a pack of cigerattes on a shelf i had in the kitchen---as long as he could look at that pack & KNOW he could have one if he so chose he was ok, because there was no-one telling him he could not smoke, it was his decision---we had that pack on the shelf for 2 years or more.

I have had friends who put the un-used cigarette money into a jar and at the end of a year or so they go on a vacation that the money pays for--made them feel good to know that their stopping smoking gave them such a nice vacation.

Last edited by JunieGirl; Nov 14th, 2007 at 10:04 PM.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Congratulations Cheryl. It's a hard thing to do, I used to smoke as well. Now I can't even stand the smell of it. If you have the willpower, you can win.

My big thing was if I had a drink, I wanted to smoke....so I had to quit drinking first. Mind you the fact that cigarettes are over $10 a pack here helped alot also lol

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Hi Cheryl, how are you today?

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I should be picking up the medication tomorrow and I've decided that a good "quit date" would be the day after thanksgiving. Until then I'm working on breaking some habits, like waiting until after my shower to have my first cigarette in the morning, not smoking in the car will be the next thing (after I clean it). I'm also going to go to the store and buy some more cross stitches, it's a good way to keep my attention and my hands busy. Thanks for all your support and I'll let you know how it goes.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Good luck Cheryl--I will be thinking of you---

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I used Welbutrin and it was great.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #152153 Nov 16th, 2007 at 11:42 AM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Glad to hear that Merme, thanks. I just checked my pharmacy online and it's available for me to pick up today when I go there for my allergy shots.

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Also, your state may have a quit smoking toll-free support line with quit counselors available for the early months of your quit. The hotline in my state was helpful... I spoke with the same woman each time and she said many useful and positive things.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #152176 Nov 16th, 2007 at 12:29 PM
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Good for you Cheryl! I've never had the urge, so I can't really relate to quitting.....I'm horribly allergic to cigarette smoke too, to the point that I have to have a shot in my purse in case I get a whiff too large for me to handle (throat closes up). BUT I'm very proud of you! I know you can do it! :)

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 #152192 Nov 16th, 2007 at 12:50 PM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Thanks Jenn. Merme, my doctor's office has a contract with the free and clear program (also known as the quit for life program) and I didn't have a choice but to go through them. They prescribed the medication, talked with me for about a half hour, helped me figure out a good quit date, and gave me some tips and pointers. They are also sending me information in the mail and will be calling me on my quit date and once a week thereafter to see how I'm doing. I didn't like the idea of talking to some stranger that I don't even know if they've ever smoked and can really relate, but I decided to get over that because I can use all the support I can get. They are trained and talk to people who are trying to quit everyday so I'm sure they can help. You automatically get enrolled in the program for a year. I know that quitting will tremendously improve my health, and I really need that right now.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
How much do you average a day Cheryl??? Does anyone around you smoke? If I quit Mark will have to quit or it would be impossible probably. My brother just quit---cold turkey, on his lunch he started walking around the building so he doesn't gain too much weight.....he said the first week was the worst but that it's getting easier each day....

#152230 Nov 16th, 2007 at 02:48 PM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I usually average about a 1/2 pack a day, some days more. My b/f does smoke but we don't smoke in the house so that will help. The kids are really supportive too. The last time I tried to quit they really tried to help. My b/f has no plans on quitting but one of his co workers is quitting and one of his old friends quit. If I succeed, he may decide to quit as well, knowing others that have done it. I'm sure I'll be going for walks at work on my breaks. I was thinking of downloading some inspirational stuff to listen to while on my breaks to help keep me from wanting to smoke.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
It makes me happy to know that you even want to quit.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I haven't had a cig since yesterday at 6pm...which is huge for me! I want one soooooo bad, but I keep telling myself--just 10 more minutes, then in 10 minutes I think, just 10 more minutes.... lol

Cheryl---how are things going? wavy

#215409 Jun 12th, 2008 at 07:58 AM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Let's see now, it's been 24......YEARS since I've had a cigarette and I really don't have any craving at all that I can detect.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I read last night that nicotine is in your system for 3 days after you quit...so they are the hardest.

I'm just tired of not being able to breathe and being out of breath.

#215416 Jun 12th, 2008 at 08:57 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I'm so there for you. It took me months to finally pull it off. But it is so worth it.

[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
How do you get thru the first few days???? boohoo I want one so bad, it's all I can think about. Literally.

They say cravings pass and you can keep yourself busy but it's not passing!

Is your breathing a lot better Tammy?

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'm proud of you Loz, I wonder how Cheryl did?

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Cheryl hasn't done so well. I tried the welbutrin and all it did for me was space me out and make me lethargic. Then I got caught up with trying to deal with and accept that I have an anxiety disorder. They tried to put me on drugs for that too and I couldn't do it, except for the ativan to make a panic attack to go away when I can't talk myself out of it. I still have dreams of quitting but it's been put in hold for now. I'm proud of you Loz, your much more strong willed than I an. And it doesn't help that Aros smokes and has no desire to quit.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Don't be so proud of me...I just smoked. tears

I couldn't think of anything else....nothing. And I was almost in tears over it....this is not a good time of the month for me to try to quit either..

I feel for you Cheryl...I too have anxiety. The first panic attack I ever had when I was 17 I felt like I was dying of a heartattack.

#215431 Jun 12th, 2008 at 09:58 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
But you didn't smoke the number you usually smoke. Any amount of time you don't smoke is GOOD!

Statistically people quit 7 times before it happens for good.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
kissie True Sheri....I normally smoke a pack a day so I guess any dramatic decrease is good for now.....geez, it's hard...soooooo hard.

If I could go back to the day I started I would never ever EVER have done it.

#215489 Jun 12th, 2008 at 06:19 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
kissie i'm proud of you for trying loz.

#215491 Jun 12th, 2008 at 06:28 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Thanks Jiffy, I have an addictive personality and this is going to be a %@$%$% for me to kick. rspb

#215501 Jun 12th, 2008 at 07:14 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I quit once, years ago. When my first set of kids came home from school with all of the teachings there and asked me to. I said I'll quit but I might be a little cranky. After a day, they said "Ok mom, you can smoke". They didn't like me cranky.
Right now I am keeping my cigs in the car. I have to go a long way to get them. Backing down a little at a time. The way I started.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #215527 Jun 12th, 2008 at 08:43 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Loz, I quit twice for 9 months each time. but each time before we made it to the freeway after leaving the hospital, I made hubby pull in and get me some smokes! It's very hard. I remember the rage...of course some of it could have been prego rage, but rage none the less. You guys can call it crankiness all you want, but what I experienced was rage! ha ha
Hang in there!
It has been done, and you can do it too!
I wish I had the 'want to' to 'want to quit'.
(which no one - unless they've had an addiction - would understand)
Loz I used to chew on cut up pieces of straw. (drinking straws cut into 3-4 inch segments) I haven't read all of this thread, so maybe youve already tried the straw and gum chewing?
just don't do big red gum and bbq flavored sunflower seeds at the same time. whooo hooo....will your mouth get raw!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #215544 Jun 13th, 2008 at 04:18 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Loz, even if you cut back slowly...you're still ahead. I have a friend that went from smoking a pack a day down to three cigarettes. She said it keeps her sane...and 22 less cigarettes a day in her body has got to be doing her more good than harm.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image