Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Last spring, I planted a gold cone juniper in a sunny location about 1' from the foundation of our home. Late last summer, the back part of the shrub appeared to be "dying" or drying up, with the foliage brittle and falling off. It is not just the branch tips, but the whole "branch" is affected. I cannot see any evidence of caterpillar.
This spring, there appeared to be some new foliage coming up where the brown stuff was, but other than that, it is not improving, and I would say 1/3 of the plant has dead foliage now. The front of the shrub appears to be very healthy.
I have been reading about different diseases, but I don't know if this is caused by pests or fungus. Any help I would appreciate.
Thanks! Nancy in northeast PA

"wishing for a green thumb in PA"
THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
Not too many diseases hit junipers. Assuming that it was planted correctly,my guess is that is one of two things or even a combination of them both.

1st would be spider mites. These are little tiny critters that do a lot of damage to junipers. They are very hard to see, as about 30 of them would fit on a match head. They love the hot days of the summer and tend to hit during times of high heat and drought. Keeping that in mind, if you were to water the plant every day, soaking the branches, a lot of the time you can control them by doing that alone.

The best way to check for spider mites would be to put a piece of plain white paper under the branch, then tap the branch a few times (pretty hard) and then examine the paper. They are much more visible running and scurrying around on a sheet of paper then they are hiding in the branches of a shrub. If you were to check too early you may not see them, it usually takes a few weeks of heat for them to start being a problem.

The other is that you planted the shrub on the south side of your house, and it is getting blasted by the sun. Not only from the direct rays but also the reflected rays coming off your house, giving it a double whammy. A foot away from the foundation is really too close to plant a shrub. Since the concrete of the building holds the heat, the ground at that point never really has a chance to cool off.

Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
Mike,

Would lime seepage from the concrete in the foundation impact a juniper? I tried planting a juniper in a similar fashion many years ago and the symptoms sound similar. It ultimately turned up its toes and I dug it up. At the time I had no idea what happened. (It was on the east side of the house in a mostly shady area.)

It took years for me to find out that some plants don't like lime and I seemed to pick every plant that fell into that category. Just about everything I ever planted close to the foundation had to be dug up and replaced until someone casually mentioned the lime thing. I started putting a barrier down in the dirt next to the foundation to help control that. It seems to be working pretty well.....so far. prayers grin

Not saying that's what it is. Just wondering. idea

Last edited by Kalar; Jun 9th, 2008 at 05:36 AM. Reason: add statement

Kalar

"Make Known the Unknown."
THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
Actually there are two schools of though about this. One says that concrete does have an effect on the acidity of the soil because of the lime leaching out of it. The other, (the one I believe) after the concrete has set, there is little to no effect at all. I have seen moss growing on concrete many times, and that can not grow in an alkaline environment.
Most people do not realize how much lime it takes to make a noticeable change in the pH of the soil. To lower the acidity 1 point on the scale, in a normal soil it would take 30 to 40 lbs of limestone per 1000 square feet. That is a lot more then what concrete leaches out. If in fact the soil near your plants is alkaline you can raise the acidity by amending the soil with sulfur.Adding lime or sulfur to amend the soil also takes 4 to 9 months to have an effect. It is a chemical change to the soil as opposed to adding fertilizer which is available immediately.

Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
Originally Posted by The Plant Doc
Actually there are two schools of though about this. One says that concrete does have an effect on the acidity of the soil because of the lime leaching out of it. The other, (the one I believe) after the concrete has set, there is little to no effect at all. I have seen moss growing on concrete many times, and that can not grow in an alkaline environment.
Most people do not realize how much lime it takes to make a noticeable change in the pH of the soil. To lower the acidity 1 point on the scale, in a normal soil it would take 30 to 40 lbs of limestone per 1000 square feet. That is a lot more then what concrete leaches out. If in fact the soil near your plants is alkaline you can raise the acidity by amending the soil with sulfur.Adding lime or sulfur to amend the soil also takes 4 to 9 months to have an effect. It is a chemical change to the soil as opposed to adding fertilizer which is available immediately.

Thanks ever so much for what my Grandmother use to call "Edification and Delight." grin I'm always up for learning something new. teach

Kalar

"Make Known the Unknown."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image