Rate Thread
#194707 Mar 22nd, 2008 at 09:42 AM
toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Hi yall I have a area by my back porch i have a hydrangea planted there and that area gets tons of water! and i never knew that it wold drian but its only been raining a sprinkle and already their is a huge puddle of water surrounding my hydrangea I do not want it to drown so what can i do? I know i could move it but i like where its at I was thiking like getting some pvc pipe and crating like a spout on top of the ground for the water to drain into and did the area and let the pipe go somewhere else into the yard? theirs no room for a rain barrle where its at... any help would be great!

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
toposh #195350 Mar 24th, 2008 at 04:39 AM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
You could put pipes to drain the soil away, but make sure the water drains somewhere where it won't be a nuisance. what you could do also is to dig up the hydrangea, then amend the soil with compost or something else to make it drain better. You could try digging deeper under the hole (double digging) and the water will drain further down. Another thing I can think of is to try planting some moisture loving plants there, and let them soak up the water.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
hydrangea are thirsty, thirsty, thirsty bushes!!! as long as the water isn't doing any damage to your house, i'd leave it be.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #195716 Mar 25th, 2008 at 04:48 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I was just going to post that Joclyn. thumbup

I have 7 hydrangeas and I water the heck out of them. They love water. Yours should be just fine.

#195803 Mar 26th, 2008 at 04:56 AM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I put mine where they'd get rain run off, like they said they love the water and get droopy leafed if they don't get enough

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
wow thank you all!! i didnt know they liked water ill leave it where it uis until i have to dig it up to move it to our new house next month! thanks youz all buncghes!

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
1k Posts
1k Posts
I've heard that hydrangeas love water and mine was getting hit with lots of water each spring, but this year it won't come up, it had one bloom last year so I was looking forward to this year real bad, and now this. Are you sure they love LOTS of water.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i have two hydrangea...one i'd planted and one was a transplant from the neighbor's yard.

the transplant never did too well - never really grew more than a foot or so tall...the one year i made a point of watering it more consistantly and it did grow well and even bloomed...then last year not too much growth (even though i again kept it well watered). and it's not growing at all this year...had a fairly mild winter too. it was a very old bush though (probably 40 years old)...i guess moving it was just too much for it.

Zone 6b
1k Posts
1k Posts
Wish I could say that about mine Joclyn, but mine was only 3 years old. I feel pretty bad that it won't come up. I'm not ready to dig it up though and replace it with something else this year, maybe it will grow yet. I'll take my chance and leave the spot bare.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
yeah, that's what i opted to do, too! i just made a point to keep it watered and we've had more than a good bit of rain regularly...i thought it may put up a few shoots.

i'm really surprised that this one didn't grow this year...had pretty decent growth last year (as compared to previous years, so i thought it was past the trauma of being moved) and it's fairly well shaded by the other plants around it.

part of the neighbors tree came down last year though...and now it gets more sun than before - i think that's the main problem...gets sun for too much of the day. when that branch came down, it took out a few branches on my tree, so whatever bit of shade in the afternoon that they had offered was gone. getting more of the morning sun (because of the other tree lacking branches) isn't so much of a big deal...it's that hot afternoon sun that does the damage for these bushes.

i think mine's a goner. actually, i haven't checked it lately - been so busy and getting home after dark and running late in the mornings and not having time to look before i go to work...i need to go look at it and see if it's doing anything!

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image