Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#212493 May 30th, 2008 at 10:29 AM
Hippie Offline OP
OP Offline
I have some serious brown spots forming on the leaves of both my rosemary and lavender. They are dying rather fast is there anything I can do to save them? They get plant food Schultz' about once a week, full sun, watered at least every other day, outside plants (potted individually)....I am lost please help

Thank You
It could be a fungus of some sort,I get it on my every so often,but if you plan on using them as food it will be a little tricky to find some thing that won't poison you.Also if just the brown spots are dying but you still have new growth it could just be the old dying and letting the new growth come though.

Hippie Offline OP
OP Offline
Unfortunately, the entire plants are dying....as they say here in the south, 'reckon I ought jes' getme a new one', so it appears as though I should replace the rosemary....but any suggestions for the lavender?

Thank You
How much water does your lavender get?Too much water can be a problem,they like it sort of dry.You can try to keep cutting off the brown stems,lavender can be cut almost to a stick and still return good as new.

Hippie Offline OP
OP Offline
I shall try...the lavender is new and still in the original pot....am looking at transplant this weekend

Thank You
could be spider mites? They like Rosemary and lavender.

Hippie Offline OP
OP Offline
Don't know ...what are spider mites?....haven't seen any spiders on them....

Thank You
Rosemary and lavender can be iffy in the south. I live along the gulf coast and about as far south as you can get without falling off the edge. That said its not impossible. For best luck, find a local herb farm if you can and purchase your herbs there. The closer to the source the more acclimated your perennial herbs will be and the easier to grow. Rosemary is more forgiving than the lavender, sometimes the lavendens do better in the heat. Do you have much humidity and rain? It all matters, and when coupled with high heat in the summer, lavender tends to droop and give up the ghost.
Keep your plants on the dry side. Use your finger to test for moisture. Good air circulation is important too. Some varieties of rosemary and lavender are better suited to southern climates than others. hope this helps.

Hippie Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes it has ...thank you very much for the information

Thank You

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,872
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image