Rate Thread
#210846 May 23rd, 2008 at 03:34 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
our little 4 ft above ground pool has tons of tree frogs and tadpoles living in it. hubby wants to drain the pool this weekend and get it back up and running. some of the tadpoles are almost frogs...about to loose their tails. anyway we have a 3-4 foot pond that some much larger frogs or toads are growing in. would it be better to put them in with the other tadpoles of a different and much larger species, or put them in a very big cooler to continue growing?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
We caught a couple of tadpoles and put them in a large jar on our deck to watch them grow and change. My daughter was about 4 years old at the time. When they lost their tails I decided to transfer them to the pond. We took the first one and let it go on a rock edging the pond and it jumped right in and started swimming. One of our four inch goldfish jumped right up and ate that little one inch frog. The second frog got released elsewhere. I hadn't expected that.
I don't know what to tell you.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
We caught a couple of tadpoles and put them in a large jar on our deck to watch them grow and change. My daughter was about 4 years old at the time. When they lost their tails I decided to transfer them to the pond. We took the first one and let it go on a rock edging the pond and it jumped right in and started swimming. One of our four inch goldfish jumped right up and ate that little one inch frog. The second frog got released elsewhere. I hadn't expected that.
I don't know what to tell you.

haha yea, I can see that!
well, the pond we have has no fish in it. it started out to be a coi (sp?) pond...well and the rest is another story. anyway it is my frog pond now. my main question is will the big ole yard frogs and toads (that get 5-6 inches long) eat the tree frog tadpoles( that are about an inch long)
got some cut pic's...check 'em out!

tad in water
[Linked Image]

see my tail
[Linked Image]

me and my buddy
[Linked Image]

me all grown up!
[Linked Image]

Cricket

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Tree frogs are very cute with huge voices. I knew what you were asking. I didn't mean to hijack your topic with my story. I just don't know the answer. We don't have any regular frogs in our pond, just tree frogs. I think I would try a few and watch what happens?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Oh, I enjoyed your story! got a real visual. we may not get to pumping the pond out today, so i'll have a little more time to wait and see if anyone else responds. I hate to put them in a cooler, I tried to raise some one year and didn't keep enough water in there and they died.

Cricket

cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
we rescued around 200 of them little tadpoles and transfered them into the pond. got the pool all cleaned out and we're refilling it now.

Cricket

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
LOL We have the same problem.. but hubby refuses to put the frogs into our pond.. at least we have a creek nearby.. lol That is a project I am not particularly looking forward to... moving frogs. rspb

cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
I will probably see frog/tadpoles in my sleep tonight! the kids had a ball. on saturday we were scooping tads with drinking pictures and putting into 5 gal buckets and dumping into the pond. today the pool was pumped and leaves and tad's were dumped out onto the ground where me and the 'little folk' plucked tad's from piles of leaves and put into buckets to tfr to the pond. gosh...and I thought I had some prob deciding where to put the tads...in a cooler or in the pond. we have some big coolers...but 200+ that's a lot of tads!

Cricket

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Cricket, do you mind if I ask what kind of filter you have on your pool? We are in need of a new one this year.. and haven't bought it yet.. we are undecided as to what to get.

cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
hubby used to be in the pool business, if you tell me deminsions and(high and low temps)I'm sure I can give you some very useful info.
we replaced the walley world filter that came with our pool for a much bigger and better one. i'm sure in areas where you don't get so much heat the little filter and pump that comes with the 4 foot above ground would work fine. we grow too much alge here...anyway...pm me with your info.

Cricket

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
PM sent.. thank you!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image