Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#210325 May 21st, 2008 at 08:45 AM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
It seems we never run out of jade questions on this forum.

I actually feel bad about my question, because I knew better before I created my problem. I over-watered my jade and now many of the bottom leaves are soft and look kind of sick. When I first saw what was happening 2 weeks ago, I stopped giving water, but I see no change so far.

My question is will the leaves return to normal or have I created a bigger problem in the jade's root system? The trunk of the jade is still hard and no sign of rot on the outside so far. What is the best thing I can do?

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Rosepetal #210339 May 21st, 2008 at 09:48 AM
I would put it in the hottest driest spot you have and cross your fingers - (Try to avoid long periods of direct sun.) Of course, don't water it any more for awhile. I only water my jades 3-4 times per year, and I'm very stingy about it. I put them in the sink and spray all the leaves to shine them up a bit. Whatever drips into the pot is what they get for the next few months. You could also pluck the mushy leaves - That shouldn't hurt anything. Good luck!

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
the leaves are probably goners...you can take them off and may get new ones in their place.

is the soil still extremely moist? if so, then, i'd unpot the plant and remove the wet soil from around the roots and then put new soil in and pot it up again.

better to go through that process than end up with root rot.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #210596 May 22nd, 2008 at 09:51 AM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Thanks gals for your info'. My jade is "drying out" so to speak right now and no the soil is not wet at all. There are new ones popping up all over the trunks on my jade, so I think I'll follow your advice Joclyn and take off the bad leaves.

Hopefully my jade won't look too bad, if it does I guess I'll just have to start a new one a remember a hard learned lesson.

[Linked Image]

Rosepetal #210605 May 22nd, 2008 at 11:03 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
can you post a pic of it? maybe we can make some suggestions on pruning that will help the plant to look better!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #210641 May 22nd, 2008 at 03:06 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Joclyn here are some pictures I took of my jade. The pictures hardly show what the leaves really look like or feel like. But let's see what you think.

[Linked Image]

Here is the full sized picture.

[Linked Image]

A bit closer, not sure if you can see the lower damaged leaves. The red tinge in the leaves comes from the plant standing in the sun I think.

[Linked Image]

Here are the little ones growing. They're actually coming in quite fast and look healthy enough to me.

[Linked Image]

Rosepetal #210677 May 22nd, 2008 at 04:40 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
oh, that looks just fine!!

i'll bet the leaves were going to die off at some point fairly soon anyway (the lowest ones are the oldest and would be the first to die off), and the overwatering just hastened it. i wouldn't worry about them at all...leave them to fall off on their own or pull them, if you want, and that will probably spur new growth from the spots.

what a nice jade!!

the only spot that i see that needs anything is the newer leaves on the one branch in the last pic...where the three branches are - the new leaves are on the inside of the branch and, as they grow, they're going to be stunted by the other branch and will block air circulation - i'd take them off.

the set that's at the bottom of the two-branch to the left of the trunk with the three branches, i'd leave those growing.

at some point, in the future, you could split that double bit up...just cut straight down and split the trunk and the root system. so, those new leaves growing now would be another nice branch to have if/when you split it. if you never split it, it'll still be a good branch to have for asthetics and weight balance.

the redness IS due to sunlight...lots of the jades blush when they get extra sun. i like the way they look with the highlights - some people don't though...

i've even got one that gets a purplish tone to it when it gets a lot of sunlight grin and you KNOW that makes me happy!! lol!

Last edited by Joclyn; May 22nd, 2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: typo

Zone 6b
Joclyn #210720 May 22nd, 2008 at 07:05 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Thanks Joclyn, glad to hear that it doesn't look so bad. I put in a lot of effort to get that jade where it is today and I love it too much to give up on it.

I'll clip the newer leaves as you suggest and then sit back and watch it closely. I really don't mind the redish tint to the leaves, it bothers me more to see the leaves become so soft. Lesson learned the hard way, but learned none the less.

[Linked Image]

1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Just an update on this jade....some of the leaves are actually becoming firm again. I'm leaving the leaves and will see what happens with the older ones. Thanks Joclyn for your help.

I've cut back on my watering schedule quite a bit. Glad I saw this before it was too late.

Last edited by Rosepetal; Jun 7th, 2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Added more info'

[Linked Image]

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
jades are pretty hardy - can take a bit of abuse and will muddle through some mistreatment if it's corrected quickly enough.

i'm glad yours is getting back on track. such a lovely plant! woulda been a real shame to lose it.

post some pics again, if you have time.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #214578 Jun 8th, 2008 at 01:19 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I will later on, then you might see the difference in the growth as well.

[Linked Image]

Joclyn #214601 Jun 8th, 2008 at 03:00 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Joclyn
[color:#993399]jades are pretty hardy

I've never grown a jade, but I see jade topics come up too much to believe that one! zoink haha kissie

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #214658 Jun 8th, 2008 at 07:30 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
it's hard to get adjusted to succulents...they don't need to be fussed over and the first thing we want to do when we see a plant not doing good is to water it.

excessive water causes problems for jades. even when we know they probably don't need water, we give some anyway when something doesn't look right. it's just our nurturing nature and the basic philosophy that plants need water to thrive. even when we have lots of experience with them, we can still fall into that 'it needs water' thing as the be-all; end-all to fix whatever the problem is.

that's why you see posts about them often. ;)

by hardy i mean that they do very well with little care...and little water. even if they're not treated right for a bit, they recover fairly easily from whatever maltreatment they received.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #214794 Jun 9th, 2008 at 09:46 AM
Hello, I am new to this forum and I am so glad I've found some answer to my poor jade plant, I have my jade since last July, it's growing really well until I over water it! (back then I didn't know it only need little water @_@ until I find this forum)

At the junction of where the stem and the leave, it started to become brown, then the leaves start breaking off! I jsut want to ask how long does this over water effect have on my jade, I feel so sad....I am almost like a killer.....
I stop watering since 10 days ago. I am in an office environment and air is pretty dry. Also I would like to know how does rot root look like? I am all new to plant and gardening.....
Thank you

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
could you post some pics of it?

what kind of soil is it in? what kind of container? is it directly under an air vent? what about sunlight - does it get any or just the fluorescent lighting?

root rot can appear in a couple of ways. if you've got leaves shriveling up, it may just be a normal growth/death thing (as they get too old, they die) or it could be an issue of the roots not taking up water properly or even that you're not watering thoroughly enough.

please post some pics and we'll go from there :)

Zone 6b
Joclyn #215027 Jun 10th, 2008 at 05:47 AM
Hello Joclyn,

I will post some picture later on tonight.(the pic might not be good because I took it with my mobile phone)

the soil I have it in is the original moss (?) plus all purpose potting soil which contain perlite, humus, peat moss, compost., the container is a 7 inches diameter pot(with drainage) and I usually put it by the window on south east side of building, there is an air vent above it but not directly onto the plant.

I will try to upload some pictures of it tonight. Thank you for your help.

cocosally #215039 Jun 10th, 2008 at 07:48 AM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Jades are a special plant and they are not hard to handle at all but like Joclyn said we tend to care for them more then we aught too, that's all.

[Linked Image]

Rosepetal #215093 Jun 10th, 2008 at 02:07 PM
To my horror...I have also found some little bug on my jade! It's hard for me to take picture of the bug becasue is is bery small, shape like almond, black, they stick to the leaves surface (moving!) There's not many of them , I have found 1-2 on a leaf and another few leaves! what could that be? (they move slow)

cocosally #215128 Jun 10th, 2008 at 06:31 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
since it's moving, it doesn't sound like a scale bug. the shape doesn't follow for scale either. not mealy's either because they're white and don't move much.

small & black and almond shaped. but they move fast? hmmm. do you see any webs in the area where the little buggers are? possibility they are spider mites - although i don't really think so. i don't think they're fast movers either.

really hard to say for sure without seeing them! please post a pic - try to get as clear a pic as you can.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #215478 Jun 12th, 2008 at 04:46 PM
I took my "happy" jade plant home and ask my Husband to do a full photography view on it!

[Linked Image]

this is a new leaf with edges like that

[Linked Image]
this is on one of the leaf

[Linked Image]

this is the area I mentioned, on the stem, the coneection between the leaves and stem turn brown, and leaves start to break off, also the leave become soft

[Linked Image]

more clear view on the stem and broken part

[Linked Image]
almost full view of the plant

[Linked Image]
another full view

ALSO at the back of most leave, went brown as well.....#_#

Last edited by cocosally; Jun 12th, 2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: add photos
cocosally #215480 Jun 12th, 2008 at 05:17 PM
About those bugs, I cannot get my husband to take it, it just smaller than sesame seed (about less than half of a seasame seed), it moves pretty slow.

Today I have found about 4-5 on the jade. I really don't know what they are.
I have not water my jade for almost 14 days now.

cocosally #215535 Jun 12th, 2008 at 09:58 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
FABULOUS pics!!! wonderful macros!! too bad he couldn't get one of the bugs!!

well, in general, the jade looks pretty darn good - barring those few leaves that are having an issue, that is.

the damage on the leaves looks like some kind of burrowing bug. i'm not sure if spider mites do that or not (i've never had them on anything). and i'm not sure they are spider mites - i do not see any kind of webbing on the plant at all. unless you removed it before the pics were taken?

from your description it could be the mites...do you have a magnifying glass? if you do, take a look at the bugs through it? would give us a better description - as in, how many legs; where they are placed, etc.

in the mean time, i'd treat with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol and rub it all along on the problem areas. it'll, the least, slow down whatever the bug is and maybe will even get rid of it completely.

really try to get your hubby to get a pic of the bugs!! you've obviously got a camera that can deal with such a tiny subject...and seeing the bug would really be helpful. we really need to know what it is to get the proper treatment!

i'd hold off watering. two weeks isn't that long and it'll be okay with whatever is stored in the leaves/stems/trunk for a while yet.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #215574 Jun 13th, 2008 at 10:13 AM
Hello Joclyn, thanks for your help. He had a macro lens but the bugs is too small to get to the right focus. I will definitely try the q-tips method,. I didn't remove any webbing, so I don't think it is those spider mites. I will keep the plant at home for now and see how it is. I have another question, should I leave my Jade indoor (in where I live, none of a place is having sunlight directly)??

Thank you again. I will also try to get a magnify glass as well and see what does the bugs look like ^_^

cocosally #215697 Jun 13th, 2008 at 07:46 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
if it's been used to artificial lighting, i'd keep it inside for the moment. no need to shock it more than it is with the move from work to home!

once you've got bug issue straightened out, you could gradually introduce it to brighter light and then work it outside for a couple of months.

if you can get a good/detailed description of it, we should be able to figure out what it is. and then we can get rid of it :evilgrin:

Zone 6b
Joclyn #217142 Jun 20th, 2008 at 07:19 AM
[Linked Image]

Sorry about my late posting, this is the best I can get for the bugs under magnifying glass, it seems that it can fly as well, there are usually 2-3 on a single leave, more problem to my jade, even the new leaves are really soft and looks like there's drainage on them! color become more dark green......I am not sure if it will survive! I may have to cut a stem according to the method describe in this website.

also more brown between most of the leaves and the stem....... #_#

cocosally #217298 Jun 20th, 2008 at 11:05 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i re-read your earlier post.

the soil doesn't sound like the best for jades. the peat stuff gets hard as a rock when it dries out and it's almost impossible to get moistened again, so watering won't do much good for the roots.

from what you're describing about the browing of the stems, it may be that it is now underwatered.

i'd unpot it and gently rinse away the previous soil and then repot it in cactus soil. let it sit in the new soil for a week to give the roots time to adjust and repair themselves a bit from being disturbed and then give it a good drink and then you can get it back on the usual watering schedule.

as for the bugs, if they fly then they're probably gnats and getting rid of the peat/moss stuff should resolve the issue.

losing the leaves at the bottom is not that big a deal - the oldest ones are the first to go and those at the bottom are the oldest.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #217691 Jun 22nd, 2008 at 02:38 PM
Hello Joclyn,
I have just repot it in cactus soil and will wait for a bit, just want to ask how long before I can give it a good drink? Thank you for all your help. ^_^

cocosally #217727 Jun 22nd, 2008 at 04:39 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
a week, maybe 10 days, is all. the roots just need a little bit of time to recover from being disturbed and to repair any damage that may have occured (to the tiny hairs on the roots - no matter how gentle we are, these tiny pieces get damaged).

when you do water this completely dry soil, it's best to do it in small increments and give it a chance to soak in in between each cup's worth (5-10 minutes). and pour it in different spots around the top each time so that all the soil is moistened. once you see the top is completley moist (it'll get darker) and you start to see some coming out of the bottom drain holes, it's time to stop.

if you kept it in the same container, it shouldn't need watering for about two weeks (if you went larger, then it would be a bit longer). the top inch to two inches should be completely dry before watering again. check in about 10 days, if still moist, give it a few days and check again and water if needed or hold off another day or two.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #221040 Jul 10th, 2008 at 07:59 AM
Hello, just quick update for my "happy", it's doing ok after I repot it with cactus soil, however, on some of the connection between the leaves and stem still has that "brown thing" on. (see the previous page with photo of Happy)

I am still not sure what they are!

Last edited by cocosally; Jul 10th, 2008 at 07:59 AM.
cocosally #221478 Jul 12th, 2008 at 09:20 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i'm glad to hear 'happy' is doing well in the fresh soil/pot!!

are the brown spots new ones or the same as what is in the pics?? if it's the same ones that you're talking about, they probably won't go away. it is normal for the trunk and branches to darken as they age...that does usually start on the trunk and then it works it's way up. it's called 'corking' and is nothing to worry about.

if you've got new spots starting and the leaves are still falling off, that might be something to be concerned about.

all in all, the plant looked pretty healthy a few weeks ago and putting it into the fresh (and correct type) soil is only going to keep 'happy' happy! a few leaves lost after a transplant is not unusual - so, i would just let it be for the moment and see how things go for the next month. it'll take about that long (and maybe even longer) for it to fully recover from the repotting.

just water it thoroughly when it needs it and let the soil dry down an inch or two before rewatering and it'll be fine!

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image