#210149 May 20th, 2008 at 03:15 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
thought this might be fun...
I've been so enjoying the 'greenspace' thread and now the 'what you get for $' thread, I thought about sharing ideas on reusing.
I have one...
a couple of years ago a friend of mine split up with her boyfriend/husband whatever and was cleaning out the rest of the house. they took just what they needed and bagged up about 10-15 bags of cloths. she said theyre was some good stuff in there but she wasn't seperating. take all, or nothing. I took them. All of us got some nice stuff out of it and 3-4 garbage bags went to goodwill and I still had 2-3 bags that weren't worthy of giving away. I took out everything that was 100% cotton, cut out zippers, buttons, elastic and used in my flower bed under mulch. it worked out great for me, (but I must add that I used them in my cactus bed that would pretty much grow under any conditions). I'm not saying do this, just saying it worked out well for me in my situation and 2-3 garbages bags did not go to the dump.

any other ideas, thoughts on reusing?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #210254 May 20th, 2008 at 08:47 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
generally, i recycle a lot of stuff and always have.

the bags i take home with my grocery purchases are reused as trash bags. i also reuse the vegy bags and bread bags for garbage stuff and for my cig butts (keeps the smell down big time in the summer and helps, somewhat, to keep critters out of the stuff). those bread bags are also good for using when freezing things...extra layers of plastic help the food protected.

i don't buy a lot of pre-packaged food stuff (frozen, boxed stuff, etc) and what meats i do buy, i buy in bulk so i don't have a lot of trash stuff going out. i just freeze stuff in portions (cooked first or not) and use plastic containers (the kind from chinese take-out are perfect for holding a couple of portions of tomato sauce/soup/stew/meat/etc) or plastic wrap on the meat and then into zip bags to store them in in the freezer...the zip bags are washed and reused as many times as possible.

paper egg cartons get reused for starting seeds. my newspapers get reused as liners for the ferrets litter pans - i was previously putting them out for recycling...changed things when i broke my foot and couldn't deal with cleaning the pellet litter. the sheets work better for them and me, so i've kept it up. all cardboard boxes are sliced up into pieces so they can be recycled, too.

i've got a compost pile out back and i put some of my kitchen scraps in it, along with grass clippings and leaves.

clothing and household items that are still usable get offered on freecycle. and i do still donate some things to good will.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #211469 May 25th, 2008 at 08:23 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
I save and wash all the pickle, salsa, olive, mayo jars. I use them for beans, rice, popcorn, sugar, flour, ect

Cricket

cricket #212041 May 28th, 2008 at 11:32 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
I reuse the plastic bags the newspapers come in for a mini trash by my sink.. for the stuff we don't compost- or put down disposal... use them for a liner in my lint collection can too- can is old coffe can covered in contac paper.. metal can -had it for yrs in there.
I refill the bottles my swiffer mop uses after soaking in very hot boiling water to get lids off.. use vinigar and water mix with a drop or two of dish soap, sure a whole lot cheaper and still have the convience.

I too wash out jars for reuse- some I fill with soup/chili/stew/ leave about an inch of space for expansion- use old socks to cover them and keep them in doors of my freezer, socks keep them from shattering.
I have started using tote bags I bought at Albertson's for 10/$1., I take them grocery shopping and to Sam's too.. sure makes it easier to get stuff in the house and better than collection all those boxes I used to use. We also use them for hauling the boys stuff back and forth between our houses,, school stuff home too this last week of school- I have 20 of them and find I use them all the time.
All empty containers I don't use other ways I give the boys for rock/bug/ collecting... or sandbox play... I refill the big bottle of bubble stuff with homemade bubble maker too- had it for at least 5 yrs now- boys think it never gets empty...LOL!
I also save the dribs and drabs of leftover veggies- keep a jar to collect them in the door of my freezer in the kitchen- add them to soups and stew when I make them- or puree them and add to spaghetti sauce and chili- even meatloaves sometimes... extra vitamins and no one knows(kids).
Nana

[Linked Image]
Nana's15 #212043 May 28th, 2008 at 12:28 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Nana's11
a liner in my lint collection can too- can is old coffe can covered in contac paper.. metal can -had it for yrs in there.

what do you do with the lint? bow

Cricket

#213061 Jun 2nd, 2008 at 07:55 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I wash out Ziplock bags for reuse unless they've gotten a hole.

I try to buy all staples in bags rather than in containers so I can just put them in my canisters/storage units... trying to avoid an overload of boxes and plasticware I can't reuse.

Our town has mandatory recycling which includes the necessity of purchasing special trash bags. They are expensive individually but if the famiy recycles then the amount they actually throw away is less and then the bags are affordable. What irks me though, is that the hotels/motels in our town are exempt from the recyling laws. Considering we are a resort town, go figure!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #213074 Jun 2nd, 2008 at 09:09 AM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
my m.i.l. bought the kids shoes over the weekend. I saved the boxes. I never know what to do with such things at first, but find I always find a use for them later.
last week I was looking at some hotels on line. were planning a short vacation here sometime very soon. one hotel had SOME rooms that were 'green'. you could request one if you wanted. they did things like, if you were gonna stay a couple of days you just used the same linens and towles. there were recy bins in the rooms, some other things, i'm sure...just can't remember right now.

Cricket

cricket #213151 Jun 2nd, 2008 at 05:18 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
We did lots of Motel stuff when we go out west......9 times we did..
Motel 6 or or Motel 8 were cheapest buys.
Depends where you go......Some of the local folks had small motels and were cheaper. We enjoyed the small towns for sleeping. There would be places like Mc donalds an stores to shop.....I love to shop in every town we went to......It was great.. We went by car, always.

b

PS........I only ride horse on here...... lol...

Last edited by dodge; Jun 2nd, 2008 at 05:22 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #213202 Jun 3rd, 2008 at 03:37 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
We have a recycling drop off box but everythime I go it's filled. It seems they only empty it every blue moon and you're not allowed to leave anything except for what you can shove in the steel bin.

Needless to say, it's not worth it for me to waste $5 in gas anymore on the drive. I do however buy most things in cardboard boxes(milk, juice etc...) if possible because we use our woodstove for most of the year...it burns well.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #213257 Jun 3rd, 2008 at 06:50 AM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
that's a shame they don't empty the bins more often. I'm sure there are others like yourself that have given up on recycling for the same reason.
I don't take stuff to the paper recycle anymore cause I don't like to store stuff like that for a long period of time. I will use the cardboard for choking out weeds in beds or around stuff I don't want to weedeat. then cover in pine needles, mulch, or hay.

Cricket

cricket #213263 Jun 3rd, 2008 at 07:17 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

I never did cardboard for weeds.Think I will start tho.
Thanks lil cricket. :ding:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Joclyn #213413 Jun 3rd, 2008 at 09:50 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by Joclyn
paper egg cartons get reused for starting seeds.

Maxi saves all of our paper egg cartons and then every few months he drops them off at the primary school in our town. The kindergarten and first graders use them for many projects!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
dodge #214197 Jun 6th, 2008 at 08:10 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by dodge
thumbup

I never did cardboard for weeds.Think I will start tho.
Thanks lil cricket. :ding:

I pull very few weeds anymore. cover and choke is my moto. haha neenee

Cricket

cricket #214206 Jun 6th, 2008 at 08:27 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Good advice.........Strangle them.......

Know what I did today? I have strawberries getting ready to turn red.
Robins galore......Guess what they do?
I fixed the buggers and bought 20 yards of Tulle netting , on sale. Now I am covered......LOL
Had to put bricks and stones to hold it ..........

ANy one else do that ????????????

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #215454 Jun 12th, 2008 at 11:39 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I sometimes watch that TV show "Wasted" on Planet Green channel.

They pick a family who is not doing well in terms of conservation and figure out their "ecologic footprint".... how they are living in their home compares to the actual square footage of the place. Then they teach the family a few conservation techniques and challenge them to give these suggetions a try. If the family improves, they compute the total savings over a year and reward the family with cash.

Last night, three women sharing a loft in NYC were using the ecologic footprint of a site that would cover more than 70 acres! In three weeks they were able to reduce that to just over 40 acres and they didn't even have to try really really hard.

I've seen lots of interesting things on this show... how much trash in a year a family makes if they do not recycle; how many toxic chemicals can get into our groundwater from ordinary things such as cleaning products and makeup; as well as terrific wastes in terms of energy for heating/cooling and convenience.

Have any of you watched this?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #215460 Jun 12th, 2008 at 12:06 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
no cable or satalite here, but if we did I would surely watch.

me and my daughter went through cloths yesterday. got two bags of cloths to donate, and about another two I cut into rags. any cloths I can't give away I cut into rags. we hardly use paper towles anymore, and I haven't bought dish rags in years.

Cricket

dodge #215585 Jun 13th, 2008 at 11:45 AM
Dodge what a GREAT idea the tulle. I have to cover strawberries, a red currant-
bush and a black berrie-bush. Will see if the tulle is cheap this weekend and
get some. I have squirrels galore and they are eyeing the berries.
Tanks, Larkspur

Larkspur #215596 Jun 13th, 2008 at 12:26 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup
Thanks

I put a heavier netting on the blue berry trees......SIs gave me that stuff.

I have some on the sweet corn right now also...They just bite them right off. I made the row about a foot wide and put 3 corns move over abour 3 inches an 3 more.....crazy......I t keeps birds off.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #215597 Jun 13th, 2008 at 12:27 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by dodge
thumbup
Thanks

I put a heavier netting on the blue berry trees......SIs gave me that stuff.

I have some on the sweet corn right now also...They just bite them right off. I made the row about a foot wide and put 3 corns move over abour 3 inches an 3 more.....crazy......I t keeps birds off.

I also covered the peppers and put a statue of an Owl in the garden..LOL

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #215623 Jun 13th, 2008 at 01:47 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
You can buy bird netting at the dollar store now.

Sunflowers #215627 Jun 13th, 2008 at 01:51 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

Have to check that out.......I didnt see any yet..
thanks

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #215635 Jun 13th, 2008 at 02:01 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Bought some today, gonna try cat`proof my veggie garden.

It's green and 6.5 ft by 32.5 ft for $1. thumbup

Sunflowers #215666 Jun 13th, 2008 at 05:50 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Wow what a deal......What is it ? Plastic or material?
Which dollar store.......DOllar General or Dollar bargain?

thanks for the info.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #215724 Jun 13th, 2008 at 08:32 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I try to reuse my coffee cans but it seems to be a losing battle. A long time ago we had thread here on the forum about alternate uses for coffee cans. Everyone had good ideas. I am going to look it up and see if I can find it.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #215727 Jun 13th, 2008 at 08:43 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
I rarely fry anything anymore, but I put used cooking oil in coffee cans (then in with the trash pick up...shhhhhhh...that's probably not very enviornmental, is it?)
we also use coffee cans for change. when we get it filled up we go down to the local grocery store and put them through the coin counter machine and get paper money.
hubby uses them for nuts and bolts. daughter uses them for her rock collection.
HEY...that reminds me! I've been tossing around the idea of using old cans to make a wind chime. thought it would be a fun project for the kids. coffee cans, soup and veggie cans tuna cans....tying them somehow with some fishing line???? you'd have to get everything precisely balanced though wouldn't you? anyone have any thoughts on the wind chime idea?

Cricket

cricket #215748 Jun 14th, 2008 at 03:37 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
If you could put it where noone could touch it I'd probably use the tin snips and cut the metal into thin strips and twist it. Drill a hole in the top of each piece and thread the fishing line through there. But I'm not sure how it would sound.

I compost kitchen scraps, grass, weeds paper and leaves.

I reuse my grease many times over. When it gets crumbs in it I heat it and pour it through a coffee filter. When it is time to make suet I use it again.

Threadbare towels become dishrags.

Old T-shirts become dusting rags.

Individual Yogurt cups are my starter pots for seeds. It saves me one transplant.

My cardboard boxes are going to another woman who is moving. But if she moves locally I'll definitely get them back for the garden.

Chinese Takeout Soup Containers I crochet covers for and use as comb holders, pencil holders Paper Clip Holders. Just about anything that needs corralling.

Chinese Takeout Dinner containers with the clear plastic lids become mini greenhouses.

My jelly jars fit the rings for quart jars so they are added to the canning jars. Anytime I catch a jar that will fit a ring I save it.

Other jars are used for egg shells. I crunch the shells into powder in the food processor and then add it to my tomato bed to stop BER. It works pretty good too.

I also have some of the egg shells in large chunks for around the hosta to deter the slugs. Right now the slugs haven't found the hosta yet. But I'm sure by next year they'll me munching. It doesn't take to long for them to find the hosta. I was lucky at the last place it took them three years to find them. Of course that might have been because I kept moving them every year lol. These are permanently located now.

I haven't found the recycling center yet but when I do you can bet I'll use it.

With things that don't fit here like some of my curtain rods and stuff I let our relief society president know and she tells me if anyone in the ward can use it. If not then I put it on freecycle.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #215752 Jun 14th, 2008 at 04:36 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Plastic from Dollorama, Dodge.

Great recycling TK.

Sunflowers #215782 Jun 14th, 2008 at 05:33 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Thanks Tamara..

No dollarama here ...... tears tears tears

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
tkhooper #215783 Jun 14th, 2008 at 05:36 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper
If you could put it where noone could touch it I'd probably use the tin snips and cut the metal into thin strips and twist it. Drill a hole in the top of each piece and thread the fishing line through there. But I'm not sure how it would sound.

I compost kitchen scraps, grass, weeds paper and leaves.

I reuse my grease many times over. When it gets crumbs in it I heat it and pour it through a coffee filter. When it is time to make suet I use it again.

Threadbare towels become dishrags.

Old T-shirts become dusting rags.

Individual Yogurt cups are my starter pots for seeds. It saves me one transplant.

My cardboard boxes are going to another woman who is moving. But if she moves locally I'll definitely get them back for the garden.

Chinese Takeout Soup Containers I crochet covers for and use as comb holders, pencil holders Paper Clip Holders. Just about anything that needs corralling.

Chinese Takeout Dinner containers with the clear plastic lids become mini greenhouses.

My jelly jars fit the rings for quart jars so they are added to the canning jars. Anytime I catch a jar that will fit a ring I save it.

Other jars are used for egg shells. I crunch the shells into powder in the food processor and then add it to my tomato bed to stop BER. It works pretty good too.

I also have some of the egg shells in large chunks for around the hosta to deter the slugs. Right now the slugs haven't found the hosta yet. But I'm sure by next year they'll me munching. It doesn't take to long for them to find the hosta. I was lucky at the last place it took them three years to find them. Of course that might have been because I kept moving them every year lol. These are permanently located now.

I haven't found the recycling center yet but when I do you can bet I'll use it.

With things that don't fit here like some of my curtain rods and stuff I let our relief society president know and she tells me if anyone in the ward can use it. If not then I put it on freecycle.

TK.........I use lots of your ideas......Yogurt is a must.

Tk,

How do you make your suet?

Last edited by dodge; Jun 14th, 2008 at 05:37 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #215785 Jun 14th, 2008 at 05:53 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I've lost my recipe for suet. I know I had it on the computer. But now I can't find it. Pooh, I'll look around and see if I can find it. I think it was on the old gardenhelper website and I have no luck finding things overthere any more.

I'm sorry I don't have it.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #215786 Jun 14th, 2008 at 05:55 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I forgot to mention the twisty ties on the bread. I save all of those. They come in handy all the time. The yellow ones I just used to secure my yellow rose chain to my dish rail at the top of my kitchen cabinets. It looks so cool. I really like it.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #215791 Jun 14th, 2008 at 06:12 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Here is the link to the thread afgrey started about suet cakes in the archives.

Afgrey's Suet Cakes Thread

Scroll down to the link for Baltimore Bird Club.

Merme

Last edited by Merme; Jun 14th, 2008 at 06:18 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #215793 Jun 14th, 2008 at 06:16 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Speaking of twist ties from bread. When I get the bread with the flat hard plastic clip-like things, I use them to label cords in difficult places such as under the desk. They fit nicely around the cord and I can write on them with a marker. Otherwise, it can be hard for me to tell WHICH cord is the printer or whatever. Or for Maxi's TV, games, and DVD players.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #215831 Jun 14th, 2008 at 09:32 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Thankyou for finding the post. I immediately added it to my file so it doesn't get lost again. I'm going to have all kinds of fun birds at my feeders this year I'm sure.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #215855 Jun 14th, 2008 at 12:33 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
You're welcome, Tammy! I know how frustrating it can be when you know something is there but you can't find it!

Not to hijack this thread, but are you planning on putting up a thistle bag for the Goldfinches? I was amazed at how many birds came as soon as we hung ours.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #216009 Jun 15th, 2008 at 04:54 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Ok, I'll bite. What is a thistle bag please?

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #216021 Jun 15th, 2008 at 05:52 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
You can pick up a thistle bag often at places like Ace Hardware for under $5 and it includes months worth of thistle. Some people call it a thistle sock.

The bag itself is usually white and made of a mesh with a drawstring top, a little more than a foot long. Once you fill it with the thistle and pull it closed, you can hang it by the string.

The thistle attracts Goldfinches and they are bold enough to come right up on our porch for it!

The birds cling to the mesh and pull the thistle right through the small holes.

I had never seen Goldfinches in my immediate area before we hung Maxi's thistle bag and suddenly they were there every day feeding!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #216026 Jun 15th, 2008 at 06:05 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I use to hang a thistle bag but I finally got a regular finch feeder.

No yellow finches in Maine? Too bad. They're such pretty birds.

Bestofour #216031 Jun 15th, 2008 at 06:18 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
No yellow finches in Maine? Too bad. They're such pretty birds.

Yes we have them, Sheri. But I had never seen them before we hung the bag. Now they are all over the place! It's great!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #216044 Jun 15th, 2008 at 07:10 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I didn't pay attention to what I was reading, did I.

Bestofour #216159 Jun 15th, 2008 at 05:01 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
thankyou for the information. I'll keep an eye out for them.

[Linked Image]
cricket #216335 Jun 16th, 2008 at 07:17 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by cricket
I've been tossing around the idea of using old cans to make a wind chime. thought it would be a fun project for the kids. coffee cans, soup and veggie cans tuna cans....tying them somehow with some fishing line???? you'd have to get everything precisely balanced though wouldn't you? anyone have any thoughts on the wind chime idea?

I would simply punch a hole in the center of the bottom of each can using something like a fat nail.

Then, I'd cut lengths of macrame cord or heavy twine such as Jute, and tie a fatter-than-the-hole knot at one end and thread the other end up through the hole. The un-knotted end would be used to secure it to the thing I was using as a hanger.

Before I connected them together, though, I would hang them separately so I could paint each one or decoupage them with a waterproof coating. Once they were dry, I'd hang them into the final arrangement.

The only reason you'd have to be concerned about balancing the cans is if you were making it a mobile. An ordinary chime doesn't have to be particularly balanced. You just have to make sure they are ultimately hanging close enough to bump into one another with little provocation.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #216337 Jun 16th, 2008 at 07:26 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Decoupage ...How do you do that ?/ I have photos and dont know what to use to do it .Help

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #216341 Jun 16th, 2008 at 07:59 AM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
thanks, merme. so you think some heavier rope would work better than fishing line? we have a couple of cans we put into the bonfire to give them a nice charred look. but, we have some paint too.

Cricket

cricket #216506 Jun 17th, 2008 at 04:27 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I wish I didn't get so much junk mail. It seems irresponsible of the companies involved, to purposefully create all that waste and leave it up to the other person to dispose of it properly!

I have friends who subscribe to magazines as a group. Each person picks a different magazine so the entire group gets to read them all. I do not live close enough to my friends to participate and so I usually do not subscribe to anything. But recently an out-of-state friend gave me Good Housekeeping as a gift and every month I wish I had someone to pass it along to. So I'm thinking of taking them to a waiting room somewhere.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #216524 Jun 17th, 2008 at 07:14 AM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme
an out-of-state friend gave me Good Housekeeping as a gift and every month I wish I had someone to pass it along to. So I'm thinking of taking them to a waiting room somewhere.
Merme

when my dad was in the hospital years ago, people from work brought me their old magazines and I'd drop them off in the waiting areas when I went up to visit him.
the library here has old magazines for 10 cents each. I usually grab some each time we go to put out on the porch, bathrooms, living room. the info is old, but with most of the magazines it doesn't really matter.

Cricket

cricket #216754 Jun 18th, 2008 at 03:09 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I get bothered by the amount of plastic in our lives. I try to reuse what I can but it isn't always possible. I know it is a way for manufacturers to make thing inexpensively, but still.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #216759 Jun 18th, 2008 at 03:53 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
we don't eat a lot of packaged food, but I save most of the containers if they're plastic. I use them for seed containers, jello, dips, trays for organizing things in, in drawers...the ones with dividers in them are good for putting cut up veggies in. everyone can build they're own salad that way.

Cricket

cricket #216763 Jun 18th, 2008 at 04:04 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Those are some very good ideas, Cricket.

But oh, it isn't just the plastic in the kitchen that bothers me; it is everywhere else in the house I find it!

Sometimes I feel like we are all drowning in plastic!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #216770 Jun 18th, 2008 at 04:52 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I cut the tops off plastic grape holders and use them on my window sills for plants there....
I used the bottom to hold soil in the flower pot to keep it cleaner.. Also drains the soil very well.
Yogurt cups for plants and give away .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #216816 Jun 18th, 2008 at 07:09 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
plastic strawberry cartons for my tomatos from the garden. that way they don't get crushed in the fridge.
those tiny plastic containers with lids that come out of those 'gum ball' machines. the 'gum ball' machines that give tiny toys - for seed. label the top with a sharpy, add small amt of cotten to absorb moisture. (my kids get the toys, not me. he he)

Cricket

cricket #217001 Jun 19th, 2008 at 05:05 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap

Your a smart cricket...... haha

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,861
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image