Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#206109 May 2nd, 2008 at 09:12 AM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Okay - I know how to make compost, it worked out well the last 2 years. I live on a 10-acre farmstead, so room is not the problem. I made bins with chickenwire and 2x4's - followed the directions and pictures from this forum, can't recall who it was, but turned to work quite well. Problem - okay, don't laugh at me, I am TERRIFIED of gardener snakes. I really am. If I see one - I end up spending the rest of the day INSIDE. I use something called Snake-A-Way around my beds and house to keep them at a distance. It kinda smells and looks like ground up mothballs and it works great! Last summer I went out to turn my compost pile and I flipped the pile over and out came a snake - I was horrified. Like I said - don't laugh, just can't get over this phobia. Well - I haven't been to the compose pile since! My husband thought about getting me a container - one of those big barrel ones that you turn. I have seen mixed reviews about them. Anyone use them? I can't decide if I want to spend the money on it or if I just want to, I don't know, make my 10-year-old turn the pile?? idea

PattyM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I haven't used one of those kind that you are talking about but I've used a 33 gallon black plastic trash can. And the only problem I had with it was dumping out the compost and then putting it back in to turn it. So from that point of view I would think they would be fine. Since they would fix that problem.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #206165 May 2nd, 2008 at 05:02 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Well - I splurged and ordered a CompostTumber2. I'll let you know how it works.

PattyM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
weezie had one. she said she liked it. i miss weezie.

Hi ND farm girl, There is yet another possibility you may want to consider and that is using Boakshi Bran to compost. I use a couple recycled 5 gallon buckets but you can use any other container that has an air tight seal. You simply add your veggie peels, food scraps (anything organic) sprinkle some Bokashi bran over the to and seal it up. Once it is full you set it aside for two weeks and then it is ready to buried in you raised bed or garden. I hate snakes too, I don't know why but they just give me the creeps. I found out about Bokashi Bran last summer and used it all throughout the Winter to compost all my waste. It really helped build up my raised beds and I have had a lot of worms show up to feed as well. If you Google "Bokashi Bran, Composting Inside" you will find information that will explain it much better than I can do here. Good Luck Girl!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image