Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#205835 May 1st, 2008 at 11:00 AM
OP Offline
We just baught this house and in the front we have a very steep hill. It looks to be quite a job for mowing. Does someone have a good idea of what flowers or plants we can plant that won't need much mowing or that will grow back after mowing? Or should I take all the grass up and plant flowers? Sorry I'm so confused with this yard, I have never been a gardner but I really need to become one. Thank You for your time

flwr

dwatkins #205856 May 1st, 2008 at 11:35 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
welcome!!

since you don't have too much experience, i'd recommend starting off slowly.

start in one corner or a strip along the walkway and then expand a bit each year...doing such has worked well for me - i've made a few mistakes here and there and learned a lot along the way. and my tastes/preferences have changed as well as i've learned. so, i'm glad i didn't go gangbusters the first year - i'd be ripping out a lot of stuff and that would be lots of wasted money and time!

plus, when you've got a large area to deal with, it can quickly become overwhelming!! so, start off small and plant what you know you like. then, as you learn, you add on.

for this area, could you post a pic and give us some info? to make suggestions, we'll need to know what zone you're in (you can click on the usda zone link at the top of the page to find out) and we'll need to know what kind of sunlight the spot gets as well as the type of soil. the size of the area will be helpful, too.

other info needed is what you are looking to do. bushes, plants, bulbs, groundcover, a mix of all? color preference? are you looking for something that will be low-maintenance and will return each year or do you want to fiddle with planting annuals each year? or a mix of both?

Zone 6b
Joclyn #206099 May 2nd, 2008 at 08:09 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I just bought a place with a steep sloping front yard too. Unlike you I don't have a lawn planted there. I have one stand of about 4 trees in the center of it and a foundation flower bed and paving stone walkway. All the rest is dirt. Since I have no intention of trying to mow it ever I'm opting for plants. I plan to plant 9 trees in addition to the group that is there. These will be spaced randomly throughout the space. Leaving at least 20 feet around each tree for planting bushes and flowers that will appreciate the dappled shade. Along the driveway I'm going to plant dwarf fruit trees. They will get southern exposure from that location and be easy to harvest and prune. I plan to use Irish Moss and other low growing ground covers that will handle shade between the plantings so I can walk on it to do any weeding and/or plant care.

I've decided on some plants and trees that will add winter interest since I definitely want a 4 season garden to look out on from my bay window. These include a witchazel, a walking stick tree, and a dogwood redtwig clump.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #206128 May 2nd, 2008 at 01:18 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

I have a slight slope also .. somehow I like it on a hill..
Flat is ok , till it rains and floods.......

Were flood free....LOL clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image