Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#200099 Apr 9th, 2008 at 12:54 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Last year my Hubby put a new roof on my greenhouse. It is a clear plastic specially designed from greenhouses, but it does get hot in there and I'm wondering if anyone would have any suggestion of what I could use inside on the roof to help filter the extreme heat a bit more.

I know I need all the sunlight I can get, but this is a bit much, although it did not burn my plants which did surprise me. But I could barely keep my plants moist enough with all the heat. Here is some info' that greenhouses need.

1. Diffused light prevents the formation of strong shadows inside the greenhouse. This means light is surrounding the plants and flowers instead of just hitting them directly.
2. Diffused light helps prevent the plants from getting overheated and burnt.
3. Diffused light provides a more comfortable climate inside the greenhouse.
4. Diffused light reduces the amount of water needed for irrigation.

This is what I'm looking for, something that will do this for me. Any suggestions?????

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Rosepetal #200101 Apr 9th, 2008 at 12:59 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
you can get light defusers at home depot. They are designed for florescent light panels but there is no reason you can rig a "hanging ceiling" framework for them and use them in the greenhouse. It should do what you want.

Good luck with your greenhouse. Also a vent on each end to allow airflow during the heat of the day might help. just a thought

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #200105 Apr 9th, 2008 at 01:06 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Thanks TK we did put in a fan and it was a big help. Your idea is great, but what I'm thinking of is maybe a sheet of fabric or plastic just like the light defusers that you mentioned. My greenhouse is pretty big.

[Linked Image]

Rosepetal #202161 Apr 17th, 2008 at 12:09 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Plain old Visqueen plastic, the kind that comes in rolls, would diffuse the light. If one layer wasnt enough, maybe 2 layers would do.

dave
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Just thought I'd tell you my hubby just put in windows on top of my greenhouse and it helps lots with the heat. I'll remember the plastic idea too if I have too do something else.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image