Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#197278 Mar 30th, 2008 at 04:29 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
I will dig up the thread where i was showing pictures of the pond plant that cindy sent me and how it grew. well, all the pieces i cut apart came back fine, after overwintering in a wash tub with iffy circulation thumbup i'll put the link and pics in shortly. i also have parrots feather (a floater)

#197283 Mar 30th, 2008 at 04:32 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
ok, here is the //www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/141336/Board/10/fpart/all/gonew/1#UNREADto the thread. I'm sending pieces to wendy, loz, and lynne. if anyone else needs some, let me know. i'll also throw in some parrots feather which i don't have a picture of.

#197286 Mar 30th, 2008 at 04:34 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
this is the plant i'm sending out. [Linked Image]

#197295 Mar 30th, 2008 at 04:41 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Water iris? grin

I'm greedy and my pond needs plants bad....I'll take whatever you can stuff in a box! haha kissie

Hey if you get up here sometime I can give you mosquito fish to take back with you. Or I could send them....although it's always iffy sending live fish in the mail.....with temps and stuff.

#197308 Mar 30th, 2008 at 04:48 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i honestly don't know what it is, but you are getting some. and... scott and i are talking "flying trip" right after the wedding. but don't get your hopes up.

#197317 Mar 30th, 2008 at 05:24 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
Yep that is water iris most likely yellow in color.

Gardencrazy #197320 Mar 30th, 2008 at 05:49 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i don't think it's yellow, i don't remember anything yellow. but it might be. i think it originally came from you! do you need some back? if so, pm me your address. i think i have 4 or 5 clumps total, so there is enough to share with you too.

#197323 Mar 30th, 2008 at 05:57 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
lol I know color makes no difference to me....they could be gray flowers and I'd still want them! lol I need plants SO bad.

Last year I bought 3 hyacinth clumps and they never did very well---I'm not sure why because they previous year they multiplied like rabbits. haha

#197339 Mar 30th, 2008 at 06:17 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
loz, next time i'm on the phone with you, remind me to buy some hyacinth so i can share with everyone too. that and water lettuce.

#197521 Mar 31st, 2008 at 01:50 AM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I also need to get some new water hyacinth and some water lettuce.. I got it late in the season last year, but it still did well. I have a water lily in the bottom of the pond, hopefully it will come up and bloom this year.. it didn't bloom last year. And I want to try to find some more of that fiber optic grass that I had in the top part of my pond.. it looked really cool. thumbup

Pinkhorseofcourse #197611 Mar 31st, 2008 at 09:15 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I almost bought fiber optic grass at the nursery last year, I didn't realize it did so well in a pond---I will have to make sure I get some this year!

I also have a lily in the bottom of my pond, and mom bought me a new one from Walmart a few weeks ago...so now I'll have 2 of them! flwr

Yep I'll remind you Jiffy! thumbup

#197643 Mar 31st, 2008 at 11:51 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
loz - I never did get to plant the lilies that I also got at WalMart last year, and I had to throw them out yesterday. They had been left under the deck all winter and there was nothing left to them. I noticed that they went up $1 this year at my WalMart - not happy about that! And... once again they put them out over a month ago - ridiculous - they can't go into the pond for another 1 1/2 months - I'm sure they are probaby mostly dead in the store by now!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #197748 Mar 31st, 2008 at 05:37 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i looked up fiber optic grass, i guess i didn't realize it was a cultivated plant because i've seen it growing wild. but i'll have some before the year is out, that i'm sure of.

#197760 Mar 31st, 2008 at 06:23 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Oh Lynne, that's a shame that they are all gone.....I'm hoping mine comes up, it's supposed to be hardy and it's in the deep end of my pond---my new one will be going out before too awful long.

Maybe you could just buy a few new ones for your new pond.....and open them up first before you leave Walmart to see how they look inside.

Jiffy, that is some neat looking grass.....I seriously had it in my hands last year and put it back because I was already over my plant budget. I will have some this year though. grin

#197846 Mar 31st, 2008 at 08:43 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I only have room for one lily really.. and I hope it comes up. Between that and water hyacinth and water lettuce, I will be pitching some here and there when it takes over.. hubby doesn't like to see alot of plants in the pond.. says it looks messy.. but I told him it is very good shade for the fish.. he kept quiet after that. hehe thumbup

Pinkhorseofcourse #198024 Apr 1st, 2008 at 11:50 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
LOZ MADE ME DO IT!!! yikes clap

I didn't even see your post here while I was at WalMart today, but must have read it by osmosis, because 2 of those WalMart hardy water lilies jumped into my cart!!! I just HAD to take them home! I got 2 of the same - Fabiola - because they were the healthiest with many leaves growing already. Some of the other pots were already dead.

Jennifer - my pond is in full all day sun, so I need all the cover I can get for it, that the koi fish won't eat! I've read that they eat most pond plants, so it will be a battle of wills for sure. I've also not been successful with water hyacinths or water lettuce in my tiny bathtub pond, so I'm hoping for better luck in the larger pond this year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #198166 Apr 1st, 2008 at 05:58 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I was sending you psychic messages to buy them! haha

I'm glad you found a few healthy ones, and hey---they'll look good in your pond.

You will have the same battle as me.....being in full sun all day pretty much. Makes for some green water. Good plant coverage is critical.

Hopefully if you are feeding your fish regular then they won't be hungry enough for your plants. My goldfish stripped the Anarachis(sp), down to nothing when they were in my fishtank. One morning I woke up and there were just stems left...... lol

#198173 Apr 1st, 2008 at 06:23 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Well now that I know the fish like things like oranges and peas and cheerios, hopefully that will give them something else to eat. I saw a picture where someone cut an orange in half, and the fish were playing with it for a while, while trying to get the stuff out of the skin. Hopefully that will help keep them away from the plants too much.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #198202 Apr 1st, 2008 at 07:14 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I will be trying the oranges and cheerios....I wonder if the cheerios should be cut up or if it's okay to leave them that big?

#198285 Apr 1st, 2008 at 08:53 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Well I don't have Koi, mine are just comets. Grrr... let's not go there. rspb

#198290 Apr 1st, 2008 at 09:00 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
this is the plant i'm sending out. [Linked Image]

How does this plant set in the water? Do you have to have it in a pot, like a water lily, or does it float or what? why I have never seen those.. I like them.. I also considered some mini cat tails, but was afraid they would become too invasive.. Anyone ever tried them?

I am checking out the link you posted to the other thread also.

Pinkhorseofcourse #198568 Apr 2nd, 2008 at 05:54 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i had it in a 4 inch clay pot with soil. not potting soil, but i don't think it was pond soil (gravel) either. don't remember. it will go back in the pond soil. that's what i have.

#198613 Apr 2nd, 2008 at 07:49 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
i don't think it's yellow, i don't remember anything yellow. but it might be. i think it originally came from you! do you need some back? if so, pm me your address. i think i have 4 or 5 clumps total, so there is enough to share with you too.

Jiffy~ They are either yellow or purple if they came from me, LOL most likely yellow. Thanks for offering me some back but I still have plenty. They are iris pseudacorus and rapid growers. They can also be planted in your garden and will grow just as well as in the water.

Originally Posted by Pinkhorseofcourse

How does this plant set in the water? Do you have to have it in a pot, like a water lily, or does it float or what? why I have never seen those.. I like them.. I also considered some mini cat tails, but was afraid they would become too invasive.. Anyone ever tried them?

The iris are marginals and don't need but an inch or two of water to be happy. Potted up in regular garden dirt, if you use bagged dirts they have peat and light materials in them and they can leach into your water and make it look like tea. It will also float out of the pots. If you can get regular clay dirt and use pea gravel on top of the dirt it will keep down a lot of the mess.

Mini cat tails are not as invasive like the regular kind. If you pot the regular kind they are actually easy to control in your garden pond too.

Donna

Gardencrazy #198795 Apr 3rd, 2008 at 07:02 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
then they are purple donna. i know that you sent a bunch of plants to cindy and she shared with me. i'm glad to know they will grow in the garden too. some of the left overs will go in the ground! lol

Gardencrazy #203736 Apr 22nd, 2008 at 08:59 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts

Mini cat tails are not as invasive like the regular kind. If you pot the regular kind they are actually easy to control in your garden pond too.

Donna

Oh cool!! I think I might do that.. I think they are so cute!!

I need to get to a store soon and get some water lettuce and/or water hyacinth.. my fishies have no shade..

Pinkhorseofcourse #204172 Apr 24th, 2008 at 01:10 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Loz
I almost bought fiber optic grass at the nursery last year, I didn't realize it did so well in a pond---I will have to make sure I get some this year!

Just bought one today at Lowes. grin It looks really healthy and cool in the shallow part of my pond. clap

#204199 Apr 24th, 2008 at 02:54 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
loz - I saw some very small pots of the fiber optic plant at a nursery yesterday - the pots were maybe 3 inches? So I didn't get any because they would get lost in my pond - the shelves are about 18 inches deep.

Where do you put yours?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #204229 Apr 24th, 2008 at 04:39 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Well, the one I got isn't huge but it's really healthy.

My pond is dug without a shelf around the edges.

It was my idea actually, I thought it might work out easier for Mark when he was digging it and it's worked out great for me.

The left end is about 10 inches deep, the middle is about 15 inches deep, then it drops off on the right to about 3 feet deep.

So the whole left end is like one big shallow end/shelf that I can put plants on......works out great for me....I put all the pots of stuff on that end, then I put all of my floaters in the deep end.

I bought some special pond pots last year and my fiber optic grass would be underwater totally if I just stuck it in the 10 inch end. SOOOOO, I put a brick in the one corner and put the pot on top of the brick so that everything but the top inch of the pot is underwater.

#204285 Apr 24th, 2008 at 05:40 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
here's my pond right now. i have to repot that one plant
[Linked Image]

#204297 Apr 24th, 2008 at 06:01 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Cool Jiffy, is it in mostly shade? Your water seems pretty clear....with mine being in full sun almost all day long it really gets green this time of year. rspb

Here's my Fiber Optic Grass. The liner won't be showing like that when I top it off tomorrow, I just didn't have time today.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image