Print Thread
Rate Thread
#202909 Apr 20th, 2008 at 04:08 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I love Bartlett pears but I understand they have to be polinated by a different species of pear. What other kind of dwarf pear tree should I get to produce the best fruit from the bartlett? Also how old do these trees need to be before they begin producing fruit.

Last edited by tkhooper; Apr 20th, 2008 at 04:09 AM.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #202954 Apr 20th, 2008 at 08:48 AM
Moonglow is a good pollinator for Bartlett they bloom at about the same time. My 2 Bartletts tree actually produced fruit its first year, but they were potted, and decent sized when I bought them. Bartletts will set some fruits without a pollinator- they are partially self fertile. Dont get a Seckel to pollinate your Bartletts- they will not pollinate those. I made it easier, I planted about 15 different pear trees, and let them decide on pollination.

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I bought a dwarf Bartlett pear that said on the tag that it was self fertile...That's not common with pears, and the standard Bartlett is not self-fertile. I'm not sure how they manage to make any pear self-fertile, or whether the claim is even completely accurate. I have a dwarf Moonglow as well, but I bought the Bartlett in part to have a pollinator for the Moonglow. I'm glad to hear that they should do well together, DeepCreek! Thanks for that info.

Last edited by peppereater; Apr 20th, 2008 at 10:47 PM.

dave
Even self proclaimed self fertile pears, will benefit from a pollinator. They actually will produce more fruit with another pollinator. Asian and Europeans pears will pollinate each other as well, if the bloom times overlap. Not all pears bloom at the same time! So make sure you do some research before u buy.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Thankyou so much for the information. I didn't know that the asian pears would polinate with the other pears that is good to know because they are fantastic pears. I love them.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image