Print Thread
Rate Thread
#203751 Apr 22nd, 2008 at 10:16 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
And before I get flamed for putting this here, I actually did post in the ornamental grasses forum, but no one is ever there.. why

Anyway, I was wondering if you can start these from seeds? I want to do some this year, but funds are tight and I can't buy the big plants.. will need to start small.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
You won't get flamed Jennifer, I personally have no ornamental grasses so I never go to that forum. I did have some but took them out and gave them to a neighbour.

I do know that some can be grown from seed, I've seen the seed packets in the stores. Just check to see what you can find.

Oh and the fall of the year is a good time to buy grasses, most people overlook them because they look dried up but they do come back and most times they are 75% off by then.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
lol I just posted in there last night. I'm going to move this, just because it's my job and we like to keep things in order.... kissie

I love ornamental grasses :ding:, and I usually buy them in containers--but last year I did grow some from seed and they are very small still this year but they are still growing. thumbup

Just make sure you do your research because some grasses aren't perennials in my area.....like purple fountain grass....but I love it and I put pictures of it in my post....so each year I buy it. If you were to grow an annual grass from seed to late in the year I'm not sure it would reach it's maximum potential by the end of the season......

Originally Posted by Pinkhorseofcourse
And before I get flamed for putting this here, I actually did post in the ornamental grasses forum, but no one is ever there.. why

Anyway, I was wondering if you can start these from seeds? I want to do some this year, but funds are tight and I can't buy the big plants.. will need to start small.

I never started them from seed. I recommend buying a plant instead. Save up for it. It's worth it! I have several Zebra grasses and they are awesome!

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Ok, yes, I suppose you are right Tom.. I will try buying a couple plants. I haven't seen any around yet.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image