Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#122575 Sep 2nd, 2007 at 09:04 AM
OP Offline
Does anyone here have any garlic growing? About now is the time to get them started correct? I am new and just experimenting with a little herb gardening. I havent much room left so I am going to resort to container growing for the herbs. Probably going to try chives, garlic, basil, and oregano.

Stottlar1
"Live free or Die"
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
My friend just gave me ome garlic 'seeds' to try. She says for me to put them in a couple different places in the garden and where its happy it will thrive. Chives will re seed themselves too if you just let the blooms go.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
OP Offline
Yes I just got my little herb pot started yesterday and ended up with sweet basil, garlic chives, common chives, and oregano. I am going to do the garlic maybe today in a seperate pot because I read they don't like to compete with other plants.

Stottlar1
"Live free or Die"
My garlic sprouts in the cupboard and then vanishes after I plant it outside.

the quiet ones are the ones who change the universe...the loud ones just take the credit
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Don't worry about that. It will show up again in the spring. Several different onion family plants seem to do that. Green onions and chives being the exceptions that I have run into.

wild onions, wild garlic and egyptian onions all loose leaves and then come back. It is disconcerting in the beginning.

[Linked Image]
Garlic is a wonderful addition to almost any part of the garden and is hardy enough to grow almost anywhere. It doesn't take up much space, so can be planted in and amongst your other herbs and flowers, vegetables etc. Its great having a few scattered between the rosebushes too. Garlic releases minute quanties of sulphur into the soil helping to repel nemetodes and generally seems to enhance any plants near it. Its blue green stalks and white flower umbels are pretty on their own too.
Garlic bulbs are readily found in the grocery store, the same whole ones you buy for cooking can be planted in your garden.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I have the hardest time keeping garlic growing both from seeds or from cloves I've gotten at the grocery store. So, I was thinking about buying some at a garden center/on line nursery. Can anyone suggest a type and a place to buy the cloves?

[Linked Image]
Johnny's Selected seed used to sell a few named varieties of garlic, very reasonably as I recall. A Google search will bring them up quickly.

Originally Posted by thorns

Garlic bulbs are readily found in the grocery store, the same whole ones you buy for cooking can be planted in your garden.

One piece of advice, buy ORGANIC garlic. Regular garlic are sometimes sprayed with anti-sprouting stuff and won't grow.

I plant my garlic cloves in the fall.

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
TomR #178691 Feb 4th, 2008 at 10:56 AM
I've had good luck with garlic bought at the store. I've also planted elephant garlic with good success. Just my experience. Jay

The Jedi
1k Posts
The Jedi
1k Posts
Southern Exposure seed Exchange is where I bought my original sets from Tammy, and they're right here in Virginia. Mine were just starting to come up, but I can't see them any more as I mulched them to protect them for the winter. I planted mine November 3rd.

Terry

May the force be with you
I have several varieties of garlic growing: Inchellium Red, Martin's Heirloom, Blount County Heirloom, some from my local health food store, and a couple of others I don't remember off the top of my head. Most of them have leaves about 6" tall right now.

Becky - Zone 6b/7a

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." -- Mark Twain

Hi, zoink
I'm new to the forums but was looking around and found your post..I used to grow garlic in Louisiana, but now am in the high desert of NM.
So I was wondering in your herb garden have you though of Society garlic..I brought some from Louisiana to New Mexico and it has come up for two years here.. thumbup
I don't know if this is considered off subject I'm a newbie to internet forums..
But I thought it might interest you..Society garlic makes a pretty cluster of violet flower and looks like a chive or green onion, you just can't kill it..I was shocked after our hundred year snow it is already coming back up.
Anyway, it is pretty and easy to grow and taste like a green onion/garlic.
Just thought I would share. wavy

Blessed Be,
FallingLeaf
My grandmother planted chives at each corner of her garden and not only does it look cool, but they've been thriving for years.they taste wonderful.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I had chives last fall.. I was really suprised how wonderful they tasted at the end of growing season here. Just as good as the fresh spring onions.
First time mine did so well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #193718 Mar 19th, 2008 at 04:41 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
My chives are 3 years old and I've divided the clump a couple of times. And I'm happy to say that this year the leaves have the thickness I associate with chives. I'm really happy with them and hope to have a bumper crop this year for drying.

[Linked Image]
Stiff Neck Snake Garlic

http://Garlic1.notlong.com 31 March 2007 Starting to grow.

http://Profile1.notlong.com Some interesting information about this garlic plant.

31 March 2007. The fifty cloves were planted about 10 cm (4 inches) below the ground on 15 October 2006. No shoots came up until about 25 March 2007. All fifty cloves sprouted and appear quite healthy. The scapes will be harvested just prior to the flower opening, and the bulbs will be pulled about the 5 July 2007. Growth pictures will be presented throughout the season.

Snake Garlic (Allium sativum)
http://SerpentG.notlong.com 10 June 2007
Allium sativum Common Names: garlic,hardneck garlic, rocambole. Family: Amaryllidaceae (amaryllis Family)
The snake seed pod (snake or scape)was removed today. Removing the snakes allows plant energy to produce slightly larger cloves. The snakes should be removed before they straighten out, which they will do after a few days of growth. The plants will be pulled about 5 July 2007.

http://aipoh.notlong.com/ 1 July 2007 Pulling Garlic and re-planting the area. Pictures.

http://meiso.notlong.com/ 8 July 2007. Processing Garlic for further drying. The garlic will be dried thoroughly then stored in paper bags.

http://uuwae.notlong.com 13 July Garlic stored.

The garlic for 2007/2008 was planted 15 October 2007 from the largest cloves harvested in 2007. About 100 cloves were planted.

Durgan Zone 5
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
got some to plant, haven't planted it yet

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper
My chives are 3 years old and I've divided the clump a couple of times. And I'm happy to say that this year the leaves have the thickness I associate with chives. I'm really happy with them and hope to have a bumper crop this year for drying.

Tk is have a good time ......I have to go out an see if my chives survived.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #202938 Apr 20th, 2008 at 07:40 AM
My garlic is looking very happy. :-) Most of it was planted in November and December of 2007. I've also discovered some coming up where a few cloves must've gotten left in the ground during harvest last year.

Our gardening now is done in raised beds with cinderblocks at each end. I've got about a dozen of the cinderblock holes planted with standard chives. They all survived the winter well. Also have couple of clumps of red flowered chives (new last year so I hope to see them bloom this season) and garlic chives. The garlic chives volunteer in other places as the seeds get scattered or moved by birds.

Durgan, what are some of the ways you use your garlic scapes?

Becky - Zone 6b/7a

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." -- Mark Twain

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I have garlic growing and I dont know a thing about it ..Ha ha it is up , what now?

I have onion chives we are eating the tops??????Is that a garlic? We use it in salads..??????

I am dumb?

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #203008 Apr 20th, 2008 at 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by dodge
I have garlic growing and I dont know a thing about it ..Ha ha it is up , what now?

I have onion chives we are eating the tops??????Is that a garlic? We use it in salads..??????

I am dumb?

b

Just let it grow! When the foliage dies down in July it's time to dig it! I cut off the flower stalk by the way when it comes, so energy all goes to the bulb.

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
TomR #203009 Apr 20th, 2008 at 12:29 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
shock

Thanks ,
I didnt know that..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Please let us know about those red flowered chives. They sound interesting...
I haven't seen Durgan posting since last month, but those garlic scapes, from what I've read, are excellent sauteed with mushrooms, used in scrambled eggs...basically like a green onion, but with mild garlic flavor...

dave
I thought the red flowered chives sounded cool, too. The variety is called Forescate, and is describe as having "clear bright rose-red flower heads" and good flavour.

Last year I grew hardneck garlic for the first time, so that was my first experience with any scapes. I just added them to a couple of veggie dishes. But I only had about a dozen. Adding to mushrooms and scrambled eggs sounds great! Using like a green onion makes sense. Thanks! This year I should have considerably more.

Becky - Zone 6b/7a

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image