Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#201465 Apr 14th, 2008 at 05:11 PM
OP Offline
I have a pothos but it doesn't seem to get the varigations of colour -the leaves are just green.Are there different types or does it needs better light requirements to produce the varigations?I have it just to the side of a southern exposure -not direct light.

Linda
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Hi Linda! If your pothos was taken from a vargiegated pothos, it will be vargieated, but from a soild green cutting you will not get the variation. The variation of white/yellow and green will be lost if it doesn't get enough light, I'm not sure if you can give a soild one lots of light to produce the variation

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
kenny is correct - the variegated type will lose it's coloring if it doesn't get enough light. bright indirect light should bring the varied coloring back.

Zone 6b
Linda- it's a simple solution. Go to your nearest hardware store or Wal-mart like I did and pick up one or two of those 17" under the cabnet style fluorescent lights and it should help yer Golden Pathos...I have one growing under the ubove mentioned fluorescent lights and it's got lots o white spots on it....You can't really see it in the pic...I'll try to get a better one...Anyway, I've got my lights hung up with thumb tacks...Cheap N easy...The lights are 10 or under and include a Soft White tube....

None of my plants get any direct sun either, only indirect light from my bedroom window, but they do just fine with the artificial supliment...

Hope this helps.....

If it ain't green it's dead...
Also, cleaning the leaves from time to time will help. I wipe mine off *Very carefully* with a damp cloth...Dust will slow their ability to photosynthesize...

If it ain't green it's dead...
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
pothos can have more direct sunlight than most people think. as with any plant do it gradually. but, if it is not a varigated variety...you'll never get extra color. If you think it has it in it to show some color, give it more sunlight and clean and spray the leaves.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image