Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#200364 Apr 10th, 2008 at 09:57 AM
NuSkewl Offline OP
OP Offline
OK... so, I'm planning on having a plot (or 2, maybe 3[?]) @ our community garden & I'm wondering if anyone has ever (or does) sink some kind of container in the dirt near the plants (or puts the container in when planing the seed(s) so not to disturb the root system later) that you can fill up & it "waters slowly" to the roots. I'm thinking the plants (hopefully, pumpkin & watermelon) will do better if they can get a good long smaller drink, than a "water the surface & hope the water gets to the roots" drink.

My idea was to take big containers (the kind pretzel nuggets come in from Sam's Club or the like) & poke/drill smaller holes in them, burry them next to where the seeds/seedlings are. I'll fill them w/water every other day (hopefully) & the water will slowly leak to the roots for a constant slow drink. Maybe I'll even do it here in our garden & let the Boys fill the containers each or every other day.

What have others used? How did you put the container in the dirt? Any other suggestions/opinions are encouraged & welcome! thumbup

Thanks in advance - Sarah

flwr Long live the frugal gardener!! flwr

NuSkewl #200446 Apr 10th, 2008 at 02:22 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
We have several 5 gallon buckets with small holes drilled in them, and we water our fruit trees with them. We set one by a tree, fill it, go to the next bucket, fill it, after we've filled a few buckets, it's time to move the first.
You could adjust to fit your needs by partially burying.

dave
peppereater #200577 Apr 10th, 2008 at 10:17 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
I'm planning to use tomato sauce cans to water tomatoes & peppers & to fertilize my fruit trees.

Waiting for fall...
emdeGardener2 #200679 Apr 11th, 2008 at 09:43 AM
NuSkewl Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by emdeGardener2
I'm planning to use tomato sauce cans to water tomatoes & peppers & to fertilize my fruit trees.

How big are these cans?

Where are you putting them?

Does each plant get it's own can?

How many holes do you punch in the can?

Where do you punch holes in the can?

Are you concerned about the cans rusting?

Thanks for answering these questions & throwing out other suggestions for me to consider to help w/the watering. clap

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image