Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#200600 Apr 11th, 2008 at 04:54 AM
NuSkewl Offline OP
OP Offline
I've got a whole bunch of big pots & 2 containers I want to fill w/flowers for around the yard where there's no flower beds. Ya'know... just for some color in that part of the yard. I don't know if I want to drill drainage holes in 2 of them (they were my Grandma's). Thing is, these 2 containers have been sitting around for a while now & I'd rather have them looked at & enjoyed, than just sitting in the garage, buried. I'm a little torn.

Anyone know a trick for not putting in drainage holes & still having your plants survive? These containers would not be under any shelter, so they'd get all the rain water. Or... any wise words to convince me to drill the holes?

Oh... I don't know what kind of flowers I'd put in there... probably just annuals for now. These might end up being the "Boys" flowers since there are 2 containers, one for each of them. I'm thinking of letting them choose the flowers too.

NuSkewl #200604 Apr 11th, 2008 at 05:01 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yup, layer the bottom of the pot with packing peanuts or broken pots or such. So that the soil has something to rest against but will still allow the water to drain below the roots of the plants.

You take a chance of cracking the pots if you drill them. Annuals would be the best idea.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #200874 Apr 11th, 2008 at 10:26 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
I've always thought that flowers in containers were just petunias in 6 inch pots.

Waiting for fall...
emdeGardener2 #202283 Apr 18th, 2008 at 05:37 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
NewSkewl:

I use that white driveway rock in the bottom of my drainless pots.I also use craked shards od old clay pots--I put t hem cutved side up---so as to afford a 'pocket' of space below the shard.

--I agree, do NOT try to drill holes, esp. if you want to keep the pot.

also Wal-mart has raised inserts to put in the bottom of your pot---it has drain slots in it that they water goes thru, to help keep your roots healthy. you have to know the dimentions of the bottom of your pot so you can get the correct size insert.

good luck---I too am using pots this year.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #202296 Apr 18th, 2008 at 07:07 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
only problem is rain. I have a large pot that I put stuff in for drainage but left it where it would get a little rain or so I thought. After a couple of days of solid rain the water was up to the top. We ended up turning it up and drilling holes. It wasn't a special pot though. Breakage wouldn't have made me sad but it's held up for many more years.

Bestofour #202302 Apr 18th, 2008 at 07:17 AM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
that reminds me, gotta plant in 3 of my posts today before it rains

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
suzydaze #202546 Apr 18th, 2008 at 08:47 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Mark has drilled many holes in plant pots for me with no problems.....reminds me, I bought 2 more big pots the other day and they didn't have drainage...must have him drill them because I learned my lesson like Sheri....the first year I bought a few of them they totally filled up with water and were really gross. rspb

#202631 Apr 19th, 2008 at 10:56 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Here are my empty pots ready to go! Having plants here brighten the stairs up a bit!

Last year I just had 2 of the really big ones and a mish mosh of other pots, so this year I bought 2 more of them and then I got the brown ones to go in between, I still need one more for where that white one is.

[Linked Image]

Here they were from last year!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#202675 Apr 19th, 2008 at 03:36 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
What colour combo are you doing this year Loz?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #202679 Apr 19th, 2008 at 03:46 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Well last year I had nothing specific in mind, I just threw things in as I bought them. lol

I'm not sure yet what I'll do this year....I'll have to check out the different full sun plants when I go to the nursery soon with mom! thumbup

NuSkewl #202939 Apr 20th, 2008 at 07:43 AM
NuSkewl Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by NuSkewl
...2 containers I want to fill w/flowers for around the yard where there's no flower beds. Ya'know... just for some color in that part of the yard. I don't know if I want to drill drainage holes in 2 of them (they were my Grandma's). Thing is, these 2 containers have been sitting around for a while now & I'd rather have them looked at & enjoyed, than just sitting in the garage, buried. I'm a little torn.

I didn't mention that the 2 containers are metal. I think we're going to drill holes in them. I'd rather use & see them, then keep them tucked-away in the garage 'cause I don't want to "damage" them.

They are large containers, so I'm thinking I'll do the packing popcorn on the bottom trick, just so they're not so heavy. I'll try to take pictures of them so you know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for all the tips, tricks & advise! thumbup

NuSkewl #202944 Apr 20th, 2008 at 07:58 AM
I myself have 2 pots that have no holes drilled out. flwr I am always out dumping the excess water out. boohoo I agree with you junegirl...I also use cracked shards of old clay pots--and broken potery to fill in the bottom.
thumbup Im in the garden everyday so It is easier to manage. thumbup

I love my garden
NuSkewl #205449 Apr 29th, 2008 at 01:01 PM
Another idea is make them water pots. Put water plants such as lilies in them then if it rains all the better. It might even draw the birds to your yard for an afternoon bath. Just a thought.

I am blonde please forgive me, Lol.
Unigirl #205458 Apr 29th, 2008 at 03:19 PM
NuSkewl Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Unigirl
Another idea is make them water pots. Put water plants such as lilies in them then if it rains all the better. It might even draw the birds to your yard for an afternoon bath. Just a thought.

Hmmm.... that would be nice. Maybe have a little "fountain" so we could get the water sound on the patio. Oh man! That would be SOOO NICE! Only problem would be the 5 & 2 yr olds playing in the water every chance they get. I'm sure the 2 yr old would think it's a "bath" or a "pool". I'd also be a little nervous about them being around the water & possibly falling in & drowning.

Thanks for the brainstorming idea though. When they get older & safer around water, I'm DEFINITELY going to have a little container pond on the patio! FANTASTIC IDEA!! thumbup OOooooo!! Now I'm excited to add that to my garden in a few years. What a great thing to look forward to!!

Sarah flwr

NuSkewl #205481 Apr 29th, 2008 at 06:23 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
I have a lot of pots with out drainage holes. I use them for the plants that cannot get enough water. Cannas are good for that project. You could get the ones with pretty leaves and you do not have to wait for flowers to have color.

This Canna is in a pot and in the pond. It loved it. Some plants cannot get enough water.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
cinta #205487 Apr 29th, 2008 at 06:42 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
actually, putting a bunch of rocks or whatever in the bottom and then putting your soil on top of it is not good for the plants - for more reasons than one.

first and foremost, the water is going to stay there if there are no drain holes and it will either end up rotting the roots or you'll over-compensate because you know there's excess water in there and underwater or you'll end up overwatering because there's no way for the excess to drain.

you don't need to ruin the containers (especially if they are passed-down items with sentimental value)!! just put your plants in the basic plastic pots and put them inside the decorative planter!

i have a bunch of those white plastic planters that sit on little pedastals...just like that one on the middle step in loz's pic...even though there are drain holes, i didn't think they'd be enough so i still put the plants in a container and put that into the planter. i made sure to use a white container (an old hanging basket) and you couldn't even tell - even when looking at it from a few inches away.

i'm glad i did that, too, because it still wasn't enough - i ended up taking the container with the dirt/plants out after a heavy rain and letting it the excess drain off. and that's all you'll need to do with whatever you put in your grandmothers planters - after you water and let it soak through, just lift the insert out, pour off the excess and replace the insert.

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image