Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#195978 Mar 26th, 2008 at 06:24 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
After reading tips on planting seeds from my Park seed book, collecting seeds and preparing the soil for the last two days, I decided to plant my first seed garden. flwr I've been wanting to do this for some time and today I finally accomplished my long awaited project. I had about 30 feet to play with so I was able to get a good bit of seeds planted. I'm not sure how viable my seeds are as some are from 06' and others 07'. A number of seeds I planted today are from my garden friends here. Just wanted to thank those kissiewho have sent me seeds along the way.

I planted 4 o'clocks, finally the whites, (so long I sought after), white with pink speckles,and yellow/pink. I also planted Cherry & Ivory Swizzle Zinnas, and a host of Datura seeds along with Jimson seeds. I was also able to plant rose color morning glory vine seeds, and Butterfly Pea flower seeds. (those two were planted in pots).

I know there may be obstacles, neighborhood cat (instant kitty liter), birds and squirrels, but I wanted to try anyway. We'll see.

I labeled each section as to what I planted. There are four pots there I didn't want to ditch as several of the pots have caladium bulbs I'm hoping will come up and those two Poinsettias are still living. Hate to throw away living plants. :wink:

Well, here's a pic. I'll keep you posted as to how my seeds do as they hopefully grow. Wish me luck!
[Linked Image]

Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
Good luck on your seed garden! I am a very impatient gardener and usually buy plants, but the last couple of years I've started alot more plants from seed. It can be very rewarding to watch something grow from a tiny seed to a large blooming plant. One way to determine if your old seeds are viable is to drop them in a dish of water. The ones that float are said not to be viable any more. Of course, this only works for heavier seeds like morning glories, etc. Zinnia seeds are so light they would float anyway.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

I as well am impatient, well my zone doesn't help either lol By the time most seeds grow, I don't get a bloom before the frost hits.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yes, keep us posted. I too am impatient---so I usually buy plants--but now since I have seeds from many of you this year there will be seeds planted. it is too cold here yet, and I have had to much going on to start them indoors---but luckily my growing season is long.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
1k Posts
1k Posts
The only way seeds go well for our colder and later zones is starting them inside. I have a cart all set up for most of my flowers and veggies, but even I get impatient and buy grown ones.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Hi Alan,
Thanks! I did see a few seeds float after soaking. Didn't know about the viable thing and floating. Good info.

tamara, Thanks! Have you tried planting seeds indoors since your climate is not too condusive?

JunieGirl
I am queen of impatience sorry to say but trying my luck with seeds on a very large scale is somewhat brassy for me. shock

Rosepetal, ya know that would make a good thread starter" what seeds have you planted indoors".

I'll keep you posted. Hopefully I can report back something soon.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I have a whole flower garden that is planted with seeds. In our warm climates it works great. Sometimes things will reseed and surprise you again next year. But don't be surprised next year when your markers aren't totally correct. seeds have a way of moving around on you. thumbup

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I potted up some seeds Thursday and came out friday morning my dogs had made way with the containor and my dirt was all over the yard...no telling where my baby seeds went boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
brother your dogs are a sight. eating the birds and the seeds. You better stay inside.

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
have you seen my dog? they are a pauir I tell you, today they have managed to go through every mudd puddle in my yard and down the field

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
how are your tomato seeds?

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
still coming up anout an inche tall now

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
don't let the dogs get them.

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I scooted my tomatoes back, have them on a utlity trailor so they can't get my tomatoes

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Hi Sheri,
Hmmmm, that's cool! Thanks for the encouragement!

Suzy-sorry bout your garden. Wondering what you can do to keep the dogs out of your garden.

Hey ya'll, good news to report. It's been five days today since I took on this project and I now have seedlings from Cherry/Ivory Swizzle Zinnias! Here's a look.

[Linked Image]

I was thrilled to see this. Hopefully I will see more seedlings from others I planted.

Will keep you posted!

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I use chicken wire most of the time to keep them out

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
That sounds good.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
You know if you put up a request for certain seeds on this forum you'll get plenty of them.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Who Needs seeds?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
It was like Christmas. I decided to plant some seeds after work today and I had such fun going through my seed box. I found seeds from dodge, Kratz, Dianne, Junie Girl, Loz, Jiffy, Suzydaze and a bunch of other people. I planted Lavender Daisy, Canterbury bells, Asters, Wallflower, 4 o'clocks, nigella, cosmos, zinnia, Batchelor Buttons, Foxglove, Esperanza, gardellia (how do you spell that), antique rose peony poppy seeds.

Now where is the seeds swap thread?

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I had all those named seeds planted also.. I am determined to start some of every pack, I been given.
I even have a banana tree going bonkers.

SOme place I seen see swap here.. I guess were better at gab then we are at seeds.......... madd

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image