Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#133122 Sep 23rd, 2007 at 11:55 AM
NuSkewl Offline OP
OP Offline
I want to try to do winter sowing, but don't know where to look for this year's seeds @ rock-bottom frugal prices. Throw those suggestions my way please!

I've asked my neighbors to start saving her milk containers (they drink 4 gallons of milk a week between the 4 of them) & I'm saving larger containers instead of recycling! I'm excited to try this!

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
My WalMart has TONS of seeds left - not sure if they are marked down though, as our store RARELY gets anything marked down...

You could probably get some free seeds in a seed swap, or for sending a SASE.
Have you tried those posts here?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5k Posts
5k Posts
Also, have you done the SASE offer from wintersown.org?

What sorta seeds are you after? I may have some to share...

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
NuSkewl, have you done winter sowing before. I did it one year and it almost killed me trying to get everything re-planted in the spring. I never did it again. I had plants all over my house for weeks, moving them from one sunny location to another. It was an experience. Good luck. Let us know what you have in mind and maybe you'll get a few seeds.

Nice to have you on the forum.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Bestofour.. LOL That would definitely be easy to do.. I am planning on doing some winter sowing this year.. I have never done it before.. but I have to remember that I only need to do a FEW of each variety I try. flwr

1k Posts
1k Posts
My Wal-Mart has TONS of seeds! Shop Early for best selection! I'm going to sow some more 'Wando' peas from Wal-Mart. They only cost 97 cents! The 10 cent seeds are a MAJOR RIP-OFF! You only get like 3grams of seeds. I plant indoors w/ Jiffy compressed peat pots (you add hot water & they expand.)I'm going to try seed saving for evan more savings from buying less seeds.

I'm not like the other kids;I'm a teenage gardener.

Waiting for fall...
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Your walmart has seeds now?? Well you are in CA.. that could be why.. lol I need to check ours next time I go in. I know they are starting to put some stuff out..

1k Posts
1k Posts
My wal-mart will have veggie plants for sale in one or two months.

Waiting for fall...
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I just wanted to let you all know I got my seeds yesterday from wintersown.org!! clap

1k Posts
1k Posts
My wal-mart now has plants for sale except for warm weather plants. They're selling some pepper plants though.

Waiting for fall...
NuSkewl Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, I never did find any seeds fall. I didn't have the right containers for winter sowing, so we didn't do it. I've already started saving containers (large pretzel containers from Sam's Club/Costco) for next year. I've even pulled 2-3 large plastic containers out of the recycling dumpsters when we've dropped off our recycling.

I'm saving seeds from this year for next year. I started a seed swap/trade/give-a-way with a parenting group I belong to. It was supposed to happen tomorrow (M, 03.31), but the lady who was hosting the swap, her kids are sick.

Any suggestions on how to save seeds? I've been saving the envelopes (regular & return) from the mail. I write down what it is, how tall it'll get, how deep to plant it & all that jazz.

Glad to be back!!

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I did mine in water bottles, hubby travels and takes his own water and saves me the bottles, so I used those this year to start my seeds in.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image