Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#192613 Mar 15th, 2008 at 10:38 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
I finally purchased a Desert rose plant (Adenium Nerium variety) while out of town. Can anyone offer information on the plant? I also purchased a pot for it but now I'm not sure it needs such a large pot. What would be best soil to use? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Are there any Desert rose growers here at A Gardener's Forum that can offer tips on growing the plant? flwr

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i'm trying to remember who had bunches of them. as soon as i do, i'll post and also pm them.

#193477 Mar 18th, 2008 at 09:44 AM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
That sounds good Jiff!

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i don't have one...YET! i do love them though - they're just hard to locate!!

they need a very well-draining soil, in a pot with drainage holes and the pot shouldn't be too much bigger than the rootball.

Zone 6b
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Hi Joclyn, I found this one out of town. I've not seen any Desert rose plants in my own area. I went to HD and purchased Miracle Grow potting mix today. Someone told me that would work along with perlite. HD did not have perlite, instead, I purchased spagnum peat moss. Do you think the combination of the two would work? Haven't seen the root ball but hoping it will work for the size pot I have. rolz

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
the moss would not be a good idea. if the soil has fertilizer premixed, that wouldn't be good either.

best bet is cactus soil or plain potting soil mixed with cactus soil. you could even mix in some sand (get the stuff specifically for potting plants, not the stuff for use in a kids play area).

the pot should be unglazed clay, preferably. if glazed, then only on the outside. definitely should NOT be plastic. and wide rather than deep as this will form a caudex as it grows - the caudex should not be completely covered by the soil either.

Zone 6b
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thanks Joclyn, good info. I'll go to Lowe's tomorrow and look for cactus soil and special sand. The pot I have for it is glazed outside, has an attached saucer. Do you think I can use the same kind of mixture for my plumeria I need to transplant?
Here's a pic of my DR plant.

[Linked Image]

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
that looks healthy! and the caudex looks like a nice size, also! it's already in cactus soil, so, yes, definitely get a fresh bag of it for when you repot.

as long as the pot isn't glazed on the inside it should be okay. the connected dish makes me wonder if it's going to have proper drainage? the desert roses really need good drainage - if they sit in too moist a soil, the caudex will rot. make sure there are decent drainholes where the dish is connected to the pot. at least three of fairly decent size. if not, i'd really recommend using another pot for it.

sorry, i'm no help with plumies...i don't know a thing about them!

Zone 6b
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thanks Joclyn. I'll head out today for Lowe's for the cactus soil and perlite. I'm not sure about that pot either. I'll need to check the holes and drainage on it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image