Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I was just curious here.. do you use it?? if so, on what?? And if I do, would I be unable to say my vegis are organic?? Thanks!

1k Posts
1k Posts
I no longer use Mirtacle Gro; it's got so much nitrogen,my plants grow big with little fruit.I use 5-10-10 plant food.

Waiting for fall...
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i use miracle gro but i'm sure it isn't organic. generally speaking, if it isn't compost based, fertilizer isn't organic. but if you read the label, i'm sure if it is organic they will state that because they can charge more lol

and yes, if you use anything that isn't organic on the veggies, they are no longer organic for sale purposes.

1k Posts
1k Posts
yeah....the fertilizer companies sure do find a million ways to rip us gardeners off!Tey cheese me off! madd

Waiting for fall...
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Ok.. thanks you guys.. I was just curious.. I guess the organic part was a dumb question.. Sorry. =/

I don't use Miracle Gro anymore unless I just run out and need a little to finish and it is the only thing available. But they are offering an organic blend now. I know it is higher but can't say how much. I've seen it at the local TSC, a local farm store and our local Wally World. Think they had it last year but this could be the first. I didn't read the ingrediants so can't tell you what the blend is. Jay

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I've used the organic miracle grow Jay mentioned...in fact, I use several MG Organic products, Bone Meal, fertilizer and potting soil. I don't think they have a liquid fertilizer yet, but I find it's cheaper to use their organic products than other organic brands, and I have better results with MG organics than say, Plant-Tone. The MG organic fert is composted chicken manure and feathers. MG made a wise decision to cater to the growing organic market.

dave
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thank you very much Jay and Dave! I am going to check into the organic MG. I wonder if it works as well as the regular...

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
It's used a bit differently, the organic is only a granular soil amendment, whereas the traditional MG is mixed for liquid application...

dave
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Hmm.. ok.. well, I don't know then.. I really like being able to use the liquid mixture. And it does work well.. maybe I will just stick with that..

Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
the only things thats liquid i use around my veggies is water! lol, i use grnular fertilizer and epsom salt for my tamaters

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Is it considered 'BAD' to use a liquid fertilizer? why

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
No, absolutely not. Organic growers use fish emulsion, kelp extract, compost tea and other things. It's even okay to mix a solution of epsom salt to add magnesium. It's best to incorporate a slow release fertilizer in the soil though, so that the plant can get nutrients over a long period. Miracle Grow liquid fert. isn't really bad, either, it just isn't organic. Using too much of it too often can cause problems...fast, leggy growth that's susceptible to pests and disease, for one thing. Organic matter in the soil, whether added or already there, can make food more flavorful, too, and feed micro-organisms in the soil that benefit plants.

dave
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Hmm.. ok.. well last year when I used the MG, I only used it about 2 times on my tomatoes and melons.. so that should be ok. thumbup I didn't use it on my flowers, but I might try that this year. clap

I am going to try composting once the weather breaks.. so I can add that to my garden area.. that should help too right? Most of that stuff you listed.. the fish emulsion etc.. I don't even know what any of it is. why LOL

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
You know, you already have one of the best fertilizers around...horse manure. Dig it into the soil when you prepare your beds. Throw it into your compost, too, it will help it "cook."

dave
I'm hoping to be an organic farmer someday. I am not completely versed in what is acceptable for true organic farming yet. I don't like miracle gro or the other storebought products. I don't think they are good for the environment or plants. I use Gardens Alive products and lots of compost and manure. I have heard great things about the Spray and Grow line. However, I prefer the mix in the soil fertilizers because I have had fungal problems and don't want to spray water mixes on the plants unless they are fungal/insect treatments. Besides that it is hard to have sprayers at hand for too many products. I have one for soap shield and one for pyrethum (sp?) and one for tomato blossom end rot spray.
But fertilizers are a very personal choice thing! Using the mix in at tilling and planting time ones work best for me. Then later I side dress and put compost on top.

Tamara,
I follow a lot of the same practices you do. I work in the 3-4" of mulch in the fall or early winter along with 1-2" of manure. I have used more in the past but have my soil built up to where with the mulch that seems to be enough. Then I will sidedress the corn and onions. I put some manure and compost in each tomato and pepper hole as I plant. I'm trying some sea solids this years also. I will add a little specialized fertilizer if I see a problem. A person needs to get to the point where he lets the plants tell them what they need. I feel there is more over fertilization than under. People add things because some ad says they need too. Let the plants or a good soil test tell you. I have built mine up to where I know my soil pretty well. I may run a soil test next year just for a check up. I do spray my seedlings with Neptune's fish and seaweed liquid mix. Have tried Gardens Alive and Spray N Grow products. But feel I get the best results for the money with Neptune's and they used Fertilome if I feel I need a blue feed. But usually just the Neptune's. The main thing is to build up your soild and I suggest most manure besides hog. This is just my experience. Jay

1k Posts
1k Posts
In 5 years,I hope to stop using artificial fertilizers & use compost and other natural fertilizers instead.There are lots of dairies near my house where I could possibly get manure from.

Waiting for fall...
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Yeah, the horse manure is good.. but I have to get some set aside and let it age right? I heard fresh manure would be too hot/rich and would burn my plants.

1k Posts
1k Posts
That's true,fresh manure will burn the plants.

Waiting for fall...
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
YOu can dig the fresh manure into the soil in the fall or in spring a month or so befor you plan to plant. Or just pile it up and leave it for a few months, cover with a tarp in rainy weather.

dave
how do you use epsom salt as a fertilizer? i mean do you dilute it with water first or just pat it in the dirt or what? new gardner here so curious grin

1k Posts
1k Posts
You dilute it first with water otherwise if you just put it into the soil,you can't grow stuff there anymore.

Waiting for fall...
ah i see...how much do you dilute it?

Most of the time when you get manure from a farmer it is already aged. They will give you the oldest stuff they got. The exception to this is horse farms in some areas (I used to work on one) allow only one day's worth of manure on premises, so everyday they haul to a cattle farm or somewhere else. The best manure I have used is llama. I wish I could get more!

Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Originally Posted by pumpkin_princess
how do you use epsom salt as a fertilizer? i mean do you dilute it with water first or just pat it in the dirt or what? new gardner here so curious grin

When i created my flower beds i used over one cup of epsom salt fo 100sq ft. and spead it out evenly and worked it into the soil good and planted all my plan'ts are doing good and the evergreens that were here before we were are starting to grow better and look better... Then every 3 weeks i sprinkle some over the ground and stuff.... But I do water it in the ground but i don't make it into a liquid first and my tomatoes already have buds open and growing and my roses are doing perfect to... Just go to the epsom salt website and it will give u the directions u need.

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image