Rate Thread
#192710 Mar 16th, 2008 at 10:46 AM
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
The ones I have have all been soaked and swelled, but none of them sprouted. They just sorta floated to the top of the container and were all 'mushy and soft' if you know what I mean. I tried to keep them to see but they started to smell foul so I tossed them. Was this a wise idea?

I ended up buying three seeds (they were so expensive, but i figured it would be worth it if they grow). I filed two (saved one) until I saw the creamy part and soaked in warm water on my heating mat. they sprouted and I changed the water each day using warm water, the roots got mushy and sorta dissolved into the water. are these two goners? I still have them.

So...million dollar question, anyone have any idea how I should try to sprout my last seed. if this one doesn't sprout, I don't know what I'll do. thanks guys!

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
2k Posts
2k Posts
Kenny~ You definitely have to scarify the seeds to get them to germinate. I haven't had any luck with them succeeding after they sprout though. They also need a lot of light and you are suppose to rotate the bottles to keep the water from stagnating.

kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
thanks Donna! you've always been so helpful with water plants. Would you be able to recommend a source where I can get more of these seeds?

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Hi all I am new to this forum thing. I do however have some trial and error in the lotus seed starting area. If you have a ? feel free to ask. In our small community they call me the pond lady.

Be careful of those that say they are you friend.
Friendship and Trust must be earned, Saying it is only part of the truth.
So far so good,yesterday I potted 12 lotus plants that i started from seed.
I went to the craft shop and got a pod of seeds. That way they are my test subjects. wish me luck. thanks all.

2k Posts
2k Posts
Originally Posted by kennyso
Would you be able to recommend a source where I can get more of these seeds?
Sorry Kenny I wish I did have a source. I haven't had luck with seeds myself, I usually get tubers.

Hi waterwise! clap luv Another lotus lover. thumbup :ding:

I have had no luck with starting them by seed. I get them to have 5 or 6 leaves and then they crash and burn. I wish you the best of luck with them.

Donna

In past trials, I had the same results as you. so I studied on it. I have decided that the water temp and food are critical. Sprouting is easy, after that ????????
so i am using cheep seeds to learn more. I have them potted and growing in a 10 gallon heated tank. stay toned! we may figure it out yet.

I had very good luck with starting them from pods bought at "Old Pottery Barn"... a craft store. They grew lots of leaves but I had no blooms last year. It was their first year in the pond so we will see how they do this year. I sanded a flat spot on them just down to the second layer of white meat, then soaked them in a 2 litre pop bottle of warm water, changing out the water once a week, until the stem and leave were about as long as the bottle. Then transplant to soil and into the pond. I have found that the ones that float, are not viable. Planting conditions in the pond are variable depending on location. A little bit of research online will yeild a LOT of info on this. Good Luck with your lotus growing!

See Ya in the Garden!
eclo #199267 Apr 6th, 2008 at 06:28 AM
my pond water is 46 degrees right now. I don't think its a good time to put them out as yet. The leaves are just now starting to rise up out of the water. I am going to give them a pond plant spike today FOOD hope they will respond with a spurt of growth. I used my cordless dremel tool to nick the seeds. Put them in a jar of clean water changed it daily. Every one sprouted.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,871
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image