Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
my smallish preformed, pumpless has given me fabulous 5-6 ft lotus and many goldfish in wash dc for 6 years. i have divided lotus once two years ago. the lotus' escaped thier pots last year bigtime. there is black gunk on the bottom, but not soil per se, so can the lotus survive? i am afraid they are so delicate at this time. should i try and pull them out and sort of restart with one or two tubers?maybe i should put on a couple of inches of soil and pretend it is a real tiny pond in nature. should i jsust leave it all be and see what nature does? i have heard of a product that encourages decompostion of crud. use this? the water is crystal clear so far, but of couse hairy alga stuff on the long, ropey things. i am afraid to step into the pond with my fishing waders... cant lift the pots, so wuould be sort of leaning in. it is too much of a tangle to get with long handled nets etc. i am in a quandary. any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hi Anne,

I'm in triangle va, not that far from you. I don't have an answer for your question but I did want to say high to a neighbor. I hope your lotus flowers continue to do well for you.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
how nice of you! you can tell i'm a newbie, i posted twice! I am trying to figure out how to post pictures, etc. in the meantime, have you gotten outdoors yet? good luck and thanks.

2k Posts
2k Posts
Hey annesgarden~
Lotus are actually a lot tougher then you would think.
If you decide to divide, now is the perfect time to do so. I have lotus growing in 30 gallon pots with just dirt and water and I have some in inground bogs with other plants.
The black gunk in the bottom of the pond is actually a combination of rotting plant materials so it is nutrient rich. The only thing I can say about if you should or shouldn't tackle this job is every year it will just become a bigger job. Lotus are fierce growers and can take over a small pond in 2 seasons once they escape the pot.

Hope this helps
Donna

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image