Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Just curious if I need to do anything with them.. I planted two baby ones last year.. they were in one gallon pots when I bought them.. and they both did pretty well.. though seemed to branch OUT a bit more than growing up, but that is ok.

I didn't know if you are supposed to cut them back at all.. and when you are to do that.. hopefully not in the fall. prayers As I didn't do it.

I also have a new lilac bush that I planted.. does it need anything done to it?

Thanks in advance!! flwr

Last edited by Pinkhorseofcourse; Feb 21st, 2008 at 05:14 PM. Reason: to clarify
Love butterfly bushes! You dont have to cut them back at all. When I first got one, I decided in the spring to cut back the 'dead' parts. It wasn't needed, although it did make the bush..bushier. The plant looks dead in the spring, but be patient and little leaf buds start to form on even the most dead looking branches. Once it's leafed, you can trim out any really dead twigs.

I gave one to my daughter a couple years ago and it's beautiful at 6 feet! When the blooms are dead, I snip them, which usually makes side shoots appear so it stays blooming for a long time. I always snip off any remaining dead flowers, sometimes trimming branches if they are too long. She prefers to see a trunk so I also trim off the bottom branches a bit which allows you to plant small bulbs or shade loving ground cover.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Oh hello again Jolanna! Thank you for this reply!! I also did cut back some of the dead flowers last year.. only because it made the rest of it look so much prettier. flwr

Ohhh and I love the idea of giving it a trunk!! I just might do that too once mine gets a bit bigger. clap It would look great with something underneath!!

Thanks again!! kissie

I always wait until spring and when i see new growth i cut the bush completly back. Every summer it grows big and pretty ,filled with blooms. I was told to do that when i bought it from the nursery.

1 busy gramma
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
So cut everything back except the new growth.. hmm.. I think I will do that.. thanks! thumbup

I've been thinking about planting a butterfly bush. I love them!

lilacs, too.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I did last year, I was not impressed with it.. Short lived.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Hang in there with it Barb....my neighbor has one backed up to my fence, it's a big mature one---and each summer it's swarming with butteflies. I get lots of great pics of them. grin And her bush blooms for quite a while...

I would love to have one, I'm just out of room for another bush. lol

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Maybe it isnt the same thing.........Flop in a couple weeks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I have several butterfly bushes - had them for years now.
At the end of February - early March depending on the weather here, I cut them back to about 2 feet tall. They always grow to over 7-8 feet tall, and each summer are COVERED with butterflies, bees and even hummingbirds!

If you do not cut off the dead flower heads, you will find baby butterfly plants all over your yard the next year - the seeds are very small, and will grow in almost any type of soil anywhere! I have saved lots of those and potted them up. Once they reached a nice size - about a foot or so, I've shared them with friends and neighbors. Wish I could sell some of the extra baby plants that I allow to grow, but we live on a quiet U-shaped street that does not get a lot of traffic.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
blush
I dont think mine was the one your speaking of.. It was a soft leafed plant like the bleeding hearts....i dont think it came back this year..
MY mums didnt come back either.. I thought I had perennials.Wahhhhhhhhhhhh.

tapfoot

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image