Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#184177 Feb 20th, 2008 at 07:56 PM
OP Offline
What would be some herbs that I can start from seed for my first attempt. Anything that I should avoid?

1k Posts
1k Posts
try coriander(cilantro).Basil takes a long time to germinate but once you get it started,it'll reimburse your patience with leaves to use in soup.

Waiting for fall...
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Chives, Basil, and Common Sage are easy.

Avoid Oregano, Thyme and Rosemary. Those I get as plants. the rosemary will grow outside in your climate with almost no care. It loves your climate.

Mint is better from a cutting than from seed. It has a tendency not to bred true from seed.

[Linked Image]
Hi,
I am new here but absolutely thrilled that I found this site. The Rutgers Coop Ext master gardeners are helpful but very restricted timings. I live in Northern NJ-zone 6. I love herbs. Although I've been in the US for more than 33 yrs, my diet, while growing up in India, was never without herbs each day.

I want to plant French Lavender as profusely as possible while planting a garden. Home Depot had seeds for 'Finger Lady' and another variety, which were labeled 'Herbs'. 'Provence lavender' was in a 6" peat pot and placed by rosemary pots. Is lavender edible?

Thanks
Asha

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
No it's more for making saches for freshening clothes and making potporri to add a sweet sent to the air.

Good luck with your lavender. I've had an impossible time trying to grow it.

[Linked Image]
Thank you. Um...I should not be too ambitious. Will start with one plant.

Asha

I just saw Martha Stewart's Simply cooking on PBS. The roast chicken breast recipe called for seasoned bread crumbs. The young chef said to add 'Provence Seasoning' which may include some 'lavender' with rosemary, thyme etc. Looks like lavender is being used as an herb.....maybe in small quantities.

This brings up an interesting thought. Was it ever used in herbal remedies? Barbara Cartland, the very famous romantic writer, also wrote a book (s?) on Herbs. have to look it up.

Well....I already made a big mistake. I was giving Miracle Gro everyday to the seeds. Supposed to give only once in 7 days...did not read the fine print. I see two or 3 sprouts in beefsteak tomatoes and spinach. The rest ....probably will go to the dogs....figuratively speaking! Lesson learned..

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
The miracle gro won't stop the seedlings from sprouting. It may make them a little leggy with all the nitrogen but that is about all.

Actually seeds don't need any fertilizer at all because the seed has all the nutrients they need to sprout. So if you want to save on the miracle gro you can.

Keep us posted on how you do. I love hearing about it. I too love herbs and hope to grow as many as my climate will support as soon as I get moved.

[Linked Image]
Thanks TK. I will surely let you know how they do!

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Asha
Well....I already made a big mistake. I was giving Miracle Gro everyday to the seeds. Supposed to give only once in 7 days...did not read the fine print. I see two or 3 sprouts in beefsteak tomatoes and spinach. The rest ....probably will go to the dogs....figuratively speaking! Lesson learned..

Leach out the fertilizer by immersing the seed tray, or whatever they're growing in, in water, or just by pwatering to the point that water flows out the bottom, a few times...Miracle Grow is water soluable, so you can literally rinse it out. If the seeds or seedlings aren't damaged, they'll be fine.

dave
Dave, Thanks much. Will do.
- Asha

tk, here is some lavender info I thought interesting.
1. Lavender not only smells lovely, it tastes great, too. flowers are edible and have a sweet and spicy flavor. Try them in vinegars or jams. They taste great in lemonade or with ice cream. Use them to decorate fruit plates, salads, and desserts.

2. Lavender is more difficult to grow in northern or extremely hot and humid southern regions of the country. In cold climates, select one of the hardier varieties such as ‘Munstead’ or ‘Hidcote’. You may lose a plant after a severe winter or particularly humid summer. But you can always grow lavender as an annual or in pots.

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I'm growing lavender for the first time this year. bet it would look cool to have a little lavender flower in your glass of lemonaid! gotta remember that.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
You can also put lavender into a jar with sugar, gives it a unique taste.

I think my variety is Hidcote....I live in zone 3/4 and never had a problem growing it...must be why.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I don't know what variety I bought. I bought it as a plant at Lowes. hopefully it is the right variety for this zone.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I never knew that about lavender. I'll look forward to trying it. I do love to experiment with jams and such.

[Linked Image]
Lavender in sugar! Forget about hazelnut coffee....Lavender coffee! I must do that....but I have not gotten off the ground yet.

Cricket, the lavender I saw at Home Depot said, 'Provence', used in French perfumes . There is English, Spanish also...not sure about Meditarrenean (spell?)

I thought Jasmine was unique to India with many varieties. The nail salon had a big bush with fragrant flowers that said 'jasmine' and I never saw it before nor did it smell like the various ones I have seen. I found out that, that variety is Chinese. Jasmine too has herbal uses.

Try all these scented flowers on your pillow and bed instead of scented detergents (better than the sachets). My grandmother used to do that. When you wake up you smell like the flowers.

YEA I THINK LAVENDAR IS EDIBLE, OR AT LEAST SOME VARIETIES.
I HAVE A LAVENDAR COOKIE RECIPE, IF U'D LIKE TO TRY IT LET ME KNOW N I'LL POST IT 4 U AND EVRYONE ELSE.
I AM A HUGE FAN OF HERBS!!!
I GREW UP WITH ELDERS AND YOU KNOW LOTS OF OLDER PPL BELIEVE SO MUCH IN THE HOME REMEDIES YOU GET FROM HERBS SUCH AS MEDS, DYE, ETC!!
SO I LUV THEM
LAVENDAR WAS GAVE TO ME AS A GIFT THIS spring N THEY BOTH DIED ON ME, WHICH THEY WERE DYING - MY HUBS GOT THEM OFF THE DISTRESSED PLANTS RACK-;).
SO WHEN THEY DIEDE I BOUGHT seed PACKETS N I PROLLY WILL START THEM SOON, MAYBE EVEN HOLD OFF TIL NEXT YR SUMTIME.
THIS YEAR I STARTED BASIL, CATNIP, N CHAMOMILE OFF BY seed N SO FAR SO GOOD CEPT THE CHAM!!

* WAS GONNA ASK IF ANYONE KNEW BOUT CHAMOMILE???
MINE I STARTED FROM seed AND WAS DOING GREAT BUT FEW WEEKS AGO I STARTED SEEING YELLOW LEAVES AND ANTS ALL OVER IT SO I WENT TO PINCH OFF WHAT I THOUGHT WAS DEAD LEAVES N I FINGERED THROUGH IT AND ITS WEIRD I NEVER SEN IT B4 BUT ITS ROOT SYSTEM IS ALL ON TOP WITH JUST SOME OF IT RUNNING INTO THR DIRT, WHY IS THAT??
PLZ LET ME

Stand upon the promises of God!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image