Rate Thread
#5561 Mar 27th, 2007 at 07:38 AM
The Gnome
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Gnome
3k Posts
No Penny.... not THAT kind! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image] Ornamental Grasses come in all colors and textures, all shapes and sizes. On a still day, the slightest breeze will bring your grasses to life, adding movement and sound to your garden!

Here is a Guide to growing Ornamental Grasses in your Landscape.

and a list of Popular varieties of Ornamental Grasses for your Garden, with basic requirements....

... and some pictures of me whacking... uh.. I mean gently dividing an overgrown clump of Pampas Grass! Your guide to dividing Ornamental Grasses in your Garden.
[Linked Image]

(From that guy they call The Garden Helper)

5k Posts
5k Posts
grin @ penny!

wacking right! :crazy: try to do it gental and ya never get it done! grin....if it wernt for your info, id still be out there trying to gently divide mine up ;)

[Linked Image]
5k Posts
5k Posts
are your seeds doing good penny?

[Linked Image]
Man, I wish I had seen this on Sunday! I was trying for my first time to divide my Big Blue and MAN was it tough! But I got it done. I just got fierce with it and now I feel better about doing that. I was sure I would put it into shock, but it has not even wilted over any. So, tomarrow I have more to do and I am going to bring in the big knife!!! ;)

Johnna in Oklahoma
I used a spade to break up the grass. Maybe that would be easier then using a knife. We have cold, mud, & rain here so can't do much gardening yet. But I can hardly wait to get out in the garden.

I used a spade for the first one and it took forever.

Johnna in Oklahoma
I did actually use a long bread knife! Hee, hee. It worked. Nothing died or wilted...they are ok. It's pretty tough grass. So thanx 4 the advice, everyone!

Johnna in Oklahoma
The Gnome
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Gnome
3k Posts
Heck no! Most grasses can be divided any time of the year but won't look quite as good for the first year as plants divided in early spring. Try to do it on a cool day when you expect a few cooler days to follow, and water well. If it is a "gotta do it NOW" hot weather situation, create artificial shade for the first week or so...

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Um, at the wayyy tail end here, can I start these grasses from seeds? I would like to start a few clumps.. not sure exactly what kind yet.. but I don't want to have to spend 10-15 bucks a piece on them.. if I can start them myself..

Could someone who has a bit of knowledge in this area, *cough*, Bill, PM me and give me some suggestions...? Thanks so much!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,855
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image