Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#183033 Feb 17th, 2008 at 12:44 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkle
3k Posts
It is really warm here today and all the trees are getting that pink blush to them.............so I am getting spring fever very bad! Just wanted to start a thread to say EVERYBODY GET READY TO WAKE UP YOUR POND SOON! I can't wait!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I can't wait to see everyones pond too,, clap I want one!!!!!!!! boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
3k Posts
3k Posts
My pond is struggling at the moment. It has blanket weed, any suggestions of how to clean it up?

[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Hi Everyone!! My first post this year!! Woo hooo!

And I am right there with you guys.. sooo ready for spring.. unfortunately I will have to wait a bit longer.. being a bit farther north.. bleh. lol Oh well, it shall be here!! spring that is.. hehe

I don't know what to do to open my pond back up.. this is the first spring I have had it... since we just put it in last year. Is there something special I need to do.. I am curious to see if my fishies wintered over.. I haven't seen them, but they might be hiding in the bottom.. I hope so.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy there you are!! How have you been!????

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
hehe Hiii!! *feels all warm and fuzzy inside that you remembered me* I have been pretty good.. just holed up waiting for the sun!! Like everyone else probably. How have YOU been? I am trying to find my way around here again.. lol It has been a while. :P I need to get some info on starting some seeds this year.. I want to do some perennials! Save myself a bunch of money hopefully!

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
My pond is still covered in a layer of ice right this second, so it'll be a good while before it's woken up here. lol

But I did want to say that you should buy special fish food for spring/fall feeding. thumbup I got some last fall for my fishies. clap I was glad to see it because I didn't know that there was special food. Also I have a floating thermometer for my pond so I know when to start feeding them again. If the water is too cold they can't digest the food and it can kill them.

I think this spring I will use the pond pump to spray out of the pond so I can drain it some....that way I can clean it out a little....

My mosquito fish and snails in my fish tank will be returned to the pond! clap

I'll move my bench back out there....I MISS sitting by my pond! boohoo

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Oh geez.. I didn't feed my fishies anything special in the fall.. I hope they are ok when things thaw out.

What temp should the water be before you start feeding them again? And what is this special food?

Thank you!

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
They should be just fine.....the special food just helps them get ready for the cold weather and makes them better suited to survive the winter....here is what it says about it on the pack I have(you can google spring and autumn fish food to find it):

Specially formulated for feeding koi and goldfish in spring and autumn water conditions. Contains a stabilized vitamin C and a complement of important vitamins and minerals to help maintain the immune system of pond fish.

Other ingredients include: bell peppers, spinach, tomatoes and carrots.

Protein requirements for koi and goldfish kept in ponds and water gardens is primarily determined by water temperature. In cool water, 42° to 70°F (6° to 21°C) fish will feed but do not require a high protein food. Feeding excess protein does not benefit the fish and will convert to poisonous ammonia. This is especially dangerous in cooler water because the bacteria that comprise the biological filter are inhibited by cooler temperatures.

Ohhhh, and I quit feeding and start feeding again when it hits 42 solidly. Their digestive systems can't handle the food if it's too cold.
Having a pond thermometer is great! It has writing on there to tell me when to feed regular food, when to feed spring/fall food, and when to quit feeding.

I guess I need a water tester kit this spring to check the water levels. Gonna have to invest in one.

BTW, the actual food name is PondCare spring and Autumn premium pellets.

Last edited by loz; Feb 18th, 2008 at 05:13 PM.
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Hmm.. thanks so much for that info!! My poor fishies.. will be malnourished. I will have to get a thermometer for the pond.. so I know when to start feeding them again.

your lucky, my pond still freezes some days, when do you start feeding the fish again. i know there is spring food, but our last frost could even happen in may, but everyone says march 17 is a good time to start planting. does that mean i start feeding then too?

apriciate what you have,forget what you don't, open your eyes and notice the beauty around you in everything you see and do! just enjoy life!
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I should've said earlier, I start feeding at 42--but a solid 42, and even then I only feed a two times a week. When it's about 50-55 degrees I feed 3-4 times a week, then as it hits a solid 60'ish I start feeding normal pellet food.

Don't overfeed them in the spring though....I'd rather underfeed them at first....and scoop out excess food if it's left floating.

spring is hard on the fish and they are more likely to get bacterial or parasitic infections at this time.

Everyone with a pond should really have a thermometer for it....that's really important! thumbup

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will get me a thermometer.. and some spring food for them.

2k Posts
2k Posts
Great info Loz!

Originally Posted by loz
I should've said earlier, I start feeding at 42--but a solid 42, and even then I only feed a two times a week. When it's about 50-55 degrees I feed 3-4 times a week, then as it hits a solid 60'ish I start feeding normal pellet food.

Don't overfeed them in the spring though....I'd rather underfeed them at first....and scoop out excess food if it's left floating.

spring is hard on the fish and they are more likely to get bacterial or parasitic infections at this time.

Everyone with a pond should really have a thermometer for it....that's really important! thumbup

and I want to stress
Originally Posted by loz
but a solid 42
That means the pond water doesn't drop below this temp at all.

I am so excited about spring this year and can't really do much about it. I can't bend over. lol I already have a sitter lined up to help after the baby is born so I can work in the yard. blush

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Hey Donna you are like the pond queen so what you say I take to heart! You're very right with the water temp not dropping below 42....it's important. Some people get a few warm days and get spring-itis and start feeding too early and then it gets cold again....that is not good. Have to wait until it's permanently warmed up...not just a warm day here and there.

I'm so excited for you with the baby coming! I know you'll be a super mom! You've had a lot of practice mothering all your pets(children). I'm glad you have help lined up and that you'll still be able to get out in the yard and do what you enjoy best. kissie

Twinkle
3k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkle
3k Posts
Great info Loz! thumbup I need a thermometer for my pond..........but I just follow whenever mom starts to fed hers! lol

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
When I did my first small pond years ago I read every ponding book I could get my hands on! lol

I bought one of them, I should get it out and read it over as a refresher.

Twinkle
3k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkle
3k Posts
lol That is what mom did! I hate reading and it does not "sink in" unless I actually do it. Thank goodness for The Momcat!

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I need pictures please. I'm a visual person and need to see what I'm supposed to be doing.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Pictures? What is it you need pics of hon??

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
[Linked Image]

My pond won't be waking up anytime soon....it's frozen and covered in snow.... lol

One of the stray cats earlier was out on top of it....It usually drinks out of it and I don't think it could figure out why it couldn't drink out of it this morning. lol

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by Pinkhorseofcourse
Pictures? What is it you need pics of hon??

Pond pictures.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Mine too Loz!

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Loz,

rose You have a point there...........
Nice pond too..
Nice snow......
It is snowing here again.. i shopped in the am .....it was sunny and bright.
But 16º..........eek

Bought new bed sheets.............
Their flowers at walmart looked like something God forgot.......

I like 50c stuff.....they had none.
my peppers are up......so are some petunias.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Twinkle
3k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkle
3k Posts
Originally Posted by loz
[Linked Image]

My pond won't be waking up anytime soon....it's frozen and covered in snow.... lol

One of the stray cats earlier was out on top of it....It usually drinks out of it and I don't think it could figure out why it couldn't drink out of it this morning. lol

AAACCCCKKKKKK! That is an awful sight! boohoo (the snow, not the pond)!

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hush............down in tennessee sun........
This is snow business of yours......... lol lol

It will be spring soon.................Ask me I know..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
lol

It is terrible to look at when you look at the pond pictures from this summer and it's so pretty and lush and green all around it.

Oh well, winter comes and you can't stop it....I'm sure eventually in the summer I'll be complaining about the heat. lol

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
boohoo

Oh Loz,
Quit that ........You sound just like me. lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I'd rather be cold than hot. I love looking at everyones ponds. When I told Johnny that I'm going to dig a pond he looked at me like I'm crazy. He said "you know we have a permit to dig a pond already but I didn't think you'd be interested in dealing with it." Around here when I say "pond" people thing big ponds for fishing. He's right that I don't want to deal with a big pond. My inlaws used to have one that was dug with backhoes and stocked with fish they ordered that came in a tanker truck. They had to put stuff in it to kill algae and sain it once in a while to get out the gigantic fish, and mow around it and all sorts of up keep to keep it looking pretty and the fish healthy. It's more like a small lake. We used to row across it in a canoe and I did like eating the brim we caught. But this time, I want something I can make and I can take care of.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Sheri, more power to you. I would love to have a pond--I just do not know if I would be able to keep it up properly myself--& I would not want to ask/expect Rod to do it for me. he does all the grass maintance, as it is.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I just want to say that my pond really isn't much hard to take care of. I don't do much to it really.

I clean the pump/filter every other day in the summer. About once a month I point it out of the pond to throw about 25 percent of the water out and top it back off.

In the summer it needs topped off everyday because the heat makes a lot evaporate.

Really though it's easy to keep up! And it's a lot bigger than my old pond.......

It's much prettier in warm weather. lol

[Linked Image]

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Oh that is gorgeous Loz!! *drools* I wish I could plant some Glads behind mine too.. but there isn't much room between the pond and the deck and it is kind of hard to get back in there.. I will have to see how my perennials from last year do this spring. ;)

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
How large is your pond Loz?

Right, those glads are beautiful.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Thanks, the pond is about 12 by 6.....Guesstimating that....

Check out this pic of my pond, it's my fav--at the very end of the pics in there!

//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showgallery/Number/131703

//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showgallery/Number/130112

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Your pond is so pretty. Your flowers around it are lovely.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wow Loz! That is awesome!! Yours is so much fuller than mine.. with plants and flowers.. mine seems bare in comparison. =(

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Thanks Sheri....I have lots of ornamental grasses around the sides...and lavander, and the whole back is nothing but nice, bright Zinnias! thumbup I just love Zinnias for their height and color! And they are nice cut flowers too!

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Aren't you afraid the ornamental grasses will get too big?? Or are they a smaller variety??

Oh Lavendar.. I might just have to plant some by mine too.. I did alot of annuals last year.. just because I wasn't sure what I wanted.. I did do a couple perennials.. a coreopsis and a day lily.. And one other one.. something blue.. but I don't know if it is going to make it.. it didn't seem to do too well. could be my soil.. AKA clay. yikes

Zinnias are gorgeous.. I have never had any of those though.. might have to try some.. =)

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Most of my ornamental grasses are big ones, I like them to make an impression---and they help give a little bit of shade to the pond. That's why I have a lot of tall plants around the pond, it's in full sun(which isn't good really), and so I try to shade it as much as possible. The more sun hitting a pond the greener it gets and the algae just keeps growing.

Zinnias are SO easy to grow....I would never buy them from a store as a plant....get some seeds, and a long window box planter and start them in there as soon as you can outside....they are super easy to start from seed. I grow my own every year.

Oh and all of my grasses are perennial except for the purpley ones you see on each side--purple fountain grass....I have to rebuy them each year because they are annuals here in this area....but I love them enough to buy them.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Good show Loz. teach

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Hmmm.. I really want to do some ornamental grasses this year.. we have a few problem areas that I would just like to get something growing in.. and they seem like a good option.. are they hard to grow.. ?? Well, I suppose it depends on what type huh? I like the Pampas grasses. They look so soft and fluffy. lol

And I might try some Zinnias too.. geez, I better start a list! haha

Twinkle
3k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkle
3k Posts
I just got inside from feeding Wednesday and I heard spring PEEPERS down in one of the farm ponds! clap clap clap There is hope..........there is hope!

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Lotza hope for sure.......How about 8 inches of snow?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
My pond just froze over again today! boohoo And now it's covered with snow again. rspb

9 more days until the clocks change....longer days are great, more time to be out in the evening getting things ready.... clap

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Boy I miss the sun too......
It was out this morning about 1:30 all hell broke loose.......Snow.

Monday is to be 50º

Maybe we can swim then.
:ding:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Oh man.. I am so ready!! My poor pond.. I have to wonder if my fishies are still in there. I hope they made it.. I will be really amazed if they did.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Your fish may surprise you and still be alive and okay.

Supposed to be 60 here on Monday. Bring on the warm weather. lol

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Oh man, I hope you are right Loz!! It is supposed to be warm here tomorrow AND monday!! clap

Twinkle
3k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkle
3k Posts
Warm here today and I cleaned the house......... touched and warm again tomorrow so outside I must go! I will be thinking of you girls and hope you can go play too! spring wishes and garden dreams! clap

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Tomorrow will be SIXTY!!! That's like a heatwave. lol AFter that it is going back down to 30 though, but tomorrow I will play outside all day---lots of cleaning to do out there....

The pond de-thawed today and I saw my fishies swimming around. grin

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
It was really nice today.. but my pond is still 3/4 frozen.. I tried to peek in and see if my fishies were in there.. but I didn't see them.. nervous I hope they are ok.

1k Posts
1k Posts
Can I fish in your pond??? haha lol

Waiting for fall...
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Well, you might not catch anything in my pond.. lol It is a LITTLE pond.. neener

1k Posts
1k Posts
What if I catch a HUGE fish??? hahabig fish can live in small waters

Waiting for fall...
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Here is a view of my pond today looking down the driveway - see the snow that has been plowed to the bottom of the driveway in front of the pond?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Glad to see the pic of it Lynne, do you have big plans for it this year?

I guess the fish will be heading out there soon huh?

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
if I had a pond Ashley would be fishing in it for sure haha

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
How about the puppies?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
they don't like their feet wet....unless they're chasing something then they'd dive through a ditch and think nothing of it

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Twinkle
3k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkle
3k Posts
oh Lynne, that is way tooooo much snow for this close to spring! nervous i can't wait to see it up and running again. Did Don ever figure out about the water pressure?

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Oh I LOVE the little hill behind the pond!! I can't wait to see pics of it this summer! thumbup

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I was liking the reflection in the pond today.

[Linked Image]

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:ding:

cool

My first crocus bloomed .. Have to upload it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Sorry - didn't see these posts after mine the other day...

Don hasn't even thought about the pond until recently. He seems to think that he's just going to replace all the rocks and turn it on! Guess we'll have to deal with the rest once it's up and running again, but that won't be for another couple of months yet.

loz - I really like that picture.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Twinkle
3k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkle
3k Posts
Originally Posted by loz
I was liking the reflection in the pond today.

[Linked Image]

AWESOME!

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
It was so pretty that day, and warm.....I need to get my garden bench pulled back out and put it back over by the pond again so I can sit there. thumbup

I can't WAIT to officially "open" the pond back up for the season. clap

Hi all! I am a new member, been reading your chat. Sounds good, I have 2 large ponds and 1 small. I am hoping to turn the small one into a lotus pond this year. Cant afford to by the plants so i started some seeds. So far so good. I have 11 starts in the green house. The ponds are uncovered now ant the ice is gone, the water is still very cold. I feed wheat germ in the spring and fall. Great to see so many ponders. great to meet you all.

Be careful of those that say they are you friend.
Friendship and Trust must be earned, Saying it is only part of the truth.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
waterwise,
Welcome here on easter, Hope your eggs are in one basket..LOL

I dont have a pond , but we have 3 dams in the cow pasture, PS are those dam ponds????? lol
happy easter

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thank you Dodge, hope your easter was great.

Thank you Dodge, hope your easter was great.guess you can call them any dam thing ya like.LOL. I spent easter redoing the edges on my ponds. Some people just get to close sometimes.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Hi there Webwise. wavy It's nice to have another ponder among us--this is my 4th year with a pond now--I had a very small one for 2 years and last spring we put in my new big pond....What does the wheat germ do for your pond? How do you all combat algae bloom? My pond is really getting green.....but I've never had the string algae that some have. With my pond being in full sun most of the day it makes it so hard as far as algae goes.....

I'm so glad all my fish made it thru their first winter outside in the pond....this was the first year I'd left them out in the new pond. thumbup They were all too big to bring in anymore.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap lol

We spent easter shoveling snow.
Joking
we had snow and Haley my 1yr old grand d went on a easter hunt in the snow.
In the snow . About 3 inches.. ha ha h

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Dodge, that is what my daughter is naming her baby!! Haley! What is your granddaughter's middle name?

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
[Linked Image]

HALEY GRACE

NO ONE ELSE HAS IT HERE.. NAME

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hi All,loz, I have found that a UV steralizer is the best green water killer. It kills the tiny little buggers as the water passes through. The wheat germ is a very easaly digested food for fish that are in cold water,a fishes digestive system is very slow when they are waking in the spring. They say that barley works to,never tried it. I am not so webwise. but i do know ponds.LOL thanks!

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
lol Thanks.....I'll have to look for a UV sterilizer.....I have spring/fall food pellets that I use when I first start feeding them again....Can't wait for the pond area to wake back up for the year. I've missed it so much.

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Don said he cleaned out the first batch of numerous leaves from the pond this past Sunday. Dare I get my hopes up that I'll be able to put some fish in there in a few short months???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I have cleaned a zillion leaves from the pond the past few weeks.....they just keep floating to the surface more and more.

I did buy a pond net in the fall, and it worked great, except I had to take it off not long into fall----the mosquito fish were getting stuck in it and I couldn't stand seeing them die....hence, the leaves in the pond. Next year I hope to have Mark help me pull it tight over and anchor it down instead of floating it on top.

Lynne, you really think it will be months????? I know you are further up than me but goldfish are cold water fish.....and with your pond being in the sun the water will probably warm up fast.

Is it pretty green right now?

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
loz - it hasn't warmed up here near enough for the water to be green yet. Right now it's a very murky black!

Our last frost date is May 15th, so I won't know how much longer til we see what the weather does.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Mine was murky, now it's just VERY green! boohoo

I was thinking, if you got a pond heater would you be able to leave the fish in the pond next winter? It's so nice having them out there and not having a gross fishtank. lol

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I know - a pond heater would be great! WANNA PAY FOR IT?!? why neenee

Problem is... we went waaaaaaaaaaaaay over budget last summer on this pond, and will have very high college expenses very soon... shock

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Twinkle
3k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkle
3k Posts
Loz.........hate the leaves too.....mine were netted and still are but some leaves still got in! At least it is not as bad as usual!

Lynne, maybe we should take up a fund for your pond........but then we would all be required to come weekly and enjoy it........so then we would have to have another fund for visitation rights! lol

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
loz and wendy, i have pond plants for you now that it is warming up. i'll be sending them in the next few weeks. i'll let you know.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Oh wow Jiffy, that would be so great! clap My pond was lacking in plants last year....when I went to buy water plants I still had a small pond---well in the big pond it just wasn't enough.

Water Hyacinths are $5 each here for a little, tiny clump of them---so anything you send will be a big help to me this year! Pond plants kill my plant budget.

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Hiya Jiffy! kissie Have any extra pond plants??? grin why

Wendy - come on over! The more the merrier! You can help us dig out the gardens that will surround the pond, and then sit back in the adirondack chair with ottoman and have a drink! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I'll be doing more digging myself Lynne. rspb I've come to the conclusion that the rear of the pond needs a retaining wall, and then filled up and in with soil......bringing the back of the pond to the same height as the front....See it was built on a slope and Mark threw the sod to the back wall of the pond to level it out to the front of the pond.

I was telling Mark if we do that we should have a waterfall coming down in the middle of the back. grin

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap
Your on your way now.. Keep on ponding and sodding. They didnt build Rome in one day........

Hooray Cindy eat half a tator.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
lynne, of course i have plants to send you. and this week, i'm going after water hyacinth. i'll have plenty to share after just 2 weeks, so i'll be sending. i was going to box plants up today, but our high ended up being only 48 rspb soooo

i think i'll start a new topic on pond plants.

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks Jiffy - good idea to start a new topic on pond plants.

It's still to early for me to put them out here, so would you mind waiting a bit longer to send any to me? Thanks!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
not a problem thumbup i will probably have more to send by then. i'm going to try to get some bladderwort for the washtub. if it takes, i'll have that to share next year grin cindy wanted some...

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
YEA - I just ordered the mosquito fish from my county!
They are fat head minnows - is that what you have, loz?

They will be ready for pick-up on April 12th! Can't wait!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Lynne I have actual Mosquito Fish....Gambusia Affinis.....The fish you will be getting, from what I read, lay eggs----true mosquito fish have live babies. They look similar though. It's interesting that they are calling the fat head minnows, mosquito fish. The fat heads though are really good for eating mosquito larvae though. thumbup

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

So now you have to start a fish forum.......
b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Right loz - I've been reading up on them and they do lay eggs. But they are supposed to be good at catching mosquito larvae. I just hope they don't overpopulate the pond. They are supposed to live about 2 1/2 years.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Oh yeah, they will eat the larvae good! thumbup I hope that the fish fry doesn't get eaten up too bad though.....you know, I have tons of mosquito fish in my pond each summer but I just let them be.....they are so little really and are no problem....in the fall I catch some for in my fishtank inside....I thought I'd caught them all, but obviously not since I still have about 30 left in there. lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image