Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I know - a pond heater would be great! WANNA PAY FOR IT?!? why neenee

Problem is... we went waaaaaaaaaaaaay over budget last summer on this pond, and will have very high college expenses very soon... shock

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Twinkle
3k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkle
3k Posts
Loz.........hate the leaves too.....mine were netted and still are but some leaves still got in! At least it is not as bad as usual!

Lynne, maybe we should take up a fund for your pond........but then we would all be required to come weekly and enjoy it........so then we would have to have another fund for visitation rights! lol

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
loz and wendy, i have pond plants for you now that it is warming up. i'll be sending them in the next few weeks. i'll let you know.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Oh wow Jiffy, that would be so great! clap My pond was lacking in plants last year....when I went to buy water plants I still had a small pond---well in the big pond it just wasn't enough.

Water Hyacinths are $5 each here for a little, tiny clump of them---so anything you send will be a big help to me this year! Pond plants kill my plant budget.

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Hiya Jiffy! kissie Have any extra pond plants??? grin why

Wendy - come on over! The more the merrier! You can help us dig out the gardens that will surround the pond, and then sit back in the adirondack chair with ottoman and have a drink! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I'll be doing more digging myself Lynne. rspb I've come to the conclusion that the rear of the pond needs a retaining wall, and then filled up and in with soil......bringing the back of the pond to the same height as the front....See it was built on a slope and Mark threw the sod to the back wall of the pond to level it out to the front of the pond.

I was telling Mark if we do that we should have a waterfall coming down in the middle of the back. grin

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap
Your on your way now.. Keep on ponding and sodding. They didnt build Rome in one day........

Hooray Cindy eat half a tator.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
lynne, of course i have plants to send you. and this week, i'm going after water hyacinth. i'll have plenty to share after just 2 weeks, so i'll be sending. i was going to box plants up today, but our high ended up being only 48 rspb soooo

i think i'll start a new topic on pond plants.

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks Jiffy - good idea to start a new topic on pond plants.

It's still to early for me to put them out here, so would you mind waiting a bit longer to send any to me? Thanks!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
not a problem thumbup i will probably have more to send by then. i'm going to try to get some bladderwort for the washtub. if it takes, i'll have that to share next year grin cindy wanted some...

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
YEA - I just ordered the mosquito fish from my county!
They are fat head minnows - is that what you have, loz?

They will be ready for pick-up on April 12th! Can't wait!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Lynne I have actual Mosquito Fish....Gambusia Affinis.....The fish you will be getting, from what I read, lay eggs----true mosquito fish have live babies. They look similar though. It's interesting that they are calling the fat head minnows, mosquito fish. The fat heads though are really good for eating mosquito larvae though. thumbup

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

So now you have to start a fish forum.......
b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Right loz - I've been reading up on them and they do lay eggs. But they are supposed to be good at catching mosquito larvae. I just hope they don't overpopulate the pond. They are supposed to live about 2 1/2 years.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Oh yeah, they will eat the larvae good! thumbup I hope that the fish fry doesn't get eaten up too bad though.....you know, I have tons of mosquito fish in my pond each summer but I just let them be.....they are so little really and are no problem....in the fall I catch some for in my fishtank inside....I thought I'd caught them all, but obviously not since I still have about 30 left in there. lol

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image