Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#14302 Apr 4th, 2007 at 10:37 AM
OP Offline
Anyone here grow pumpkins?

When I was at OSH getting some things for the new season my son decided he wanted to plant something so I let him choose and he got pumpkin seeds. Well we planted one in a peat pellet and it's just now popped up.

I had no idea how we were going to grow this in a container garden but he was so adamant on growing a pumpkin.

Any ideas of what kind of container I can use to grow this pumpkin plant? And maybe some advice on how to take care of it?

Thanks! grin

JustAGirl #14391 Apr 4th, 2007 at 12:02 PM
Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
growing a pumpkin plant in a container will be VERY difficult, if not impossible.. pumpkin is a vine, and spreads/grows very quickly... don't forget you need room for the plant to grow, and for the pumpkins to develop- quite hard in a container..

Maybe get a large pot, and set it up against a fence, so it can climb along the fence?

Good luck!

--Sprout--

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

THE SPROUT IS BACK!
badplanter #14398 Apr 4th, 2007 at 12:13 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Maybe a half barrel or that big blue tub Weezie has in one of her photos?

DeborahL #14468 Apr 4th, 2007 at 02:59 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Pumpkins like lots of organic matter so plant it into a large container. As suggested, a half wine barrel would work. Use premium potting soil mixed 50/50 with good compost. The size it grows to will largesly depend on the type of pumpkin. If it's a large rambling one, you'll need to tip prune it to keep it from taking over your world:-)
As also suggested, it can be trained up a fence or trellis to save space. Don't be afraid to prune it once it gets going. If the fruit form up on the trellis, they may need support. An old stocking under the fruit. like an arm sling, will ensudre the weight doesn't break the vine.

The secret is the soil.
Longy #14794 Apr 5th, 2007 at 05:53 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I have the hardest time considering using my old pantyhose as slings for vine fruit lol. I couldn't be modest at my age lol.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #15192 Apr 5th, 2007 at 01:03 PM
OP Offline
Longy thanks for the tips. I was beginning to think I was just going to have to tell my son it wasn't going to work out for a container garden. He chose the Jack O'Lantern kinda pumpkin.

Hmm...I have a trellis so this just might work. I don't wear pantyhose but I can buy some I suppose.

Well if this works out I wont hesitate to post some pics.

JustAGirl #15307 Apr 5th, 2007 at 05:14 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper
I have the hardest time considering using my old pantyhose as slings for vine fruit lol. I couldn't be modest at my age lol.

Crikey TK. Lets not go there OK!
Originally Posted by JustAGirl
Longy thanks for the tips. I was beginning to think I was just going to have to tell my son it wasn't going to work out for a container garden. He chose the Jack O'Lantern kinda pumpkin.

Hmm...I have a trellis so this just might work. I don't wear pantyhose but I can buy some I suppose.

Well if this works out I wont hesitate to post some pics.

It doesn't have to be pantyhose. I don't wear them either.....Whatever you have will work. Don't buy somethng special, get a few string type onion bags or something. Maybe some fishnet stockings if that's your caper. LOL. Whatever. The point is to hold the weight without keeping moisture against the fruit which could cause other problems.

The secret is the soil.
JustAGirl #17213 Apr 9th, 2007 at 04:17 AM
I grow Dills Atlantic Giants every year. I would not recommend growing a pumpkin in a pot for a few reasons. First- as a pumpkin vine grows, they develop "tap roots",along the vine, which draws in water, and nutrients from the ground. It also helps anchor the vine to the ground. It a good idea not to disturb those tap roots. Also growing on a fence, may not be to great an idea, if you get a pumpkin of decent weight it will break off the vine. Pumpkins need a lot of space to grow!

DeepCreekLake #17906 Apr 9th, 2007 at 03:15 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Originally Posted by DeepCreekLake
I grow Dills Atlantic Giants every year. I would not recommend growing a pumpkin in a pot for a few reasons. First- as a pumpkin vine grows, they develop "tap roots",along the vine, which draws in water, and nutrients from the ground. It also helps anchor the vine to the ground. It a good idea not to disturb those tap roots. Also growing on a fence, may not be to great an idea, if you get a pumpkin of decent weight it will break off the vine. Pumpkins need a lot of space to grow!

Yeah, but justagirls son has his heart set on growing some pumpkins. I'm sure he'll be happy if he gets just one pumpkin. It's a case of not having any option but pots.
I have seen small pumpkins on a trellis and i currently have a Queensland blue growing in my orchard, which has climbed the fence. It has about 3 fruit hanging there, i'll have to support them soon. They're getting big. Same with the pimply squash. They're on the same fence and getting big too.
[Linked Image]
Qld blue is on the left but is difficult to see. The pimply squash is incognito so should be difficult to recognise.

The secret is the soil.
Longy #18107 Apr 9th, 2007 at 07:18 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
momma used to grow pumpkins (small/med sized) and cantaloup as climbing vines. when they fruited, she would put an mesh onion or potato bag over it and hang it on a hook from the trellis she used (often the door frame, and the hook was a cup hook screwed into the frame at the height of the fruit). they were pretty good that way.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,813
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image