Print Thread
Rate Thread
#178869 Feb 4th, 2008 at 10:14 PM
The Jedi
1k Posts
OP Offline
The Jedi
1k Posts
Last night as I was heading to bed, I heard a Hoo, hoo-hoo, hoo, hoo out my kitchen door on the west side of my house. It sounded really close, so I ran to get my flashlight. When I went outside I heard 2 others replying, one to the north side of me and the other to the southeast. Unfortunately, as I approached the woods, the closer one stopped calling and then the bulb in my flashlight went out, so I never got to see him. I've only seen 2 my entire life.

Terry

May the force be with you
#180958 Feb 11th, 2008 at 01:35 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
This time of year, Owls, Especially Great Horned Owls like to form up in large groups, probably for mating purposes. The CORRECT name for these grouping of owls is called a, "Parliament" of Owls. Owls are among the first birds each year to mate and nest, often sitting on the nest, hatching the eggs in a snowstorm. Now, through the end of April, is also one of the best times to see owls, because at this time of year they are also very active in the daytime as well as the night. I see most of my Barred Owls, during the day, this time of year. A little later this spring I will have a Barred Owl that perches on the roof of my house directly above the spot where my computer sits.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
YOu lucky Owl hunters.....
I am an Owl fan to..
Years ago we had a white one on our barn roof......
Never one since...........Are owls protected?

Photos please if anyone sees them..
thumbupI had an owl calendar last year........This year Hummer one.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Owls are VERY protected!!! The white one on your barn roof was probably the oddly named, Barn Owl, one of the best rodent catchers to have ever lived on planet Earth. They are ten times better at it than ANY cat! Sadly their numbers have been decreasing over the years. I have NEVER seen one but they are in our area. I have plans for a nesting box that you build and put up in your barn to attract these owls. Here's you an owl calendar for 2008, Barb!

The Barn Owl is the one for November!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Thornius; Feb 11th, 2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Add more info

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,859
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image