Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
glenda Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
This springtime I am going to plant the 3ft width borders. Ideally I would like things around 4ft(for privicy) at the back, then smaller, and colourful towards the grass lawn.
I am in zone 6.
Feeling daunted and confused.

[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
that would make me daunted and confused... except, you are here, and folks here will help.

one thing i've learned to love is bulbs. all kinds of bulbs. they make me happy!

if you "sprinkle" them in the border around the other plants, you can be surprized at what will give you color when you least expect it.

500 Posts
500 Posts
JIffy is right you cannot go wrong with bulbs. My favorite are Oriental lilies and another plant is Daylilies.

I am a zone 5/6 for the height I guess you will need to do bushes in the back and for privacy I would do evergreen. So the short plants for color would be your bulbs, daylilies and my new love for constant color are heuchera.

Google the "heuchera". They are colorful leaves evergreen and you will not have to wait for blooms to have color. Also you can get some very pretty evergreen conifers.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
The bonus with heuchera is that hummingbirds LOVE the red bell shaped flowers!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
In the back, the 4 ft, do you want flowering stuff or things that stay green all year?

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
First of all, what's the length of the bed and are you in shade/part shade or sun?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
glenda Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
I would like flowering things at the back too, but it must be around 4ft tall. I am in sun in the mornings till around 2pm in the height of summer, then its more shaded, the length of the border for planting is 40ft.
The soil is sandy and dries out quickly in summer.
Thank you for your help so far, hope that this information will give you some ideas of what I should be going for.

[Linked Image]
Hi Glenda,
I'm in zone 5 so most of the plants in my garden would also work in yours...The only one that I have that consistantly grows to 4 ft is Bee Balm in pink, burgandy, and purple. In the dry heat of summer it can get leggy on the bottom so I planted Gay Feather Liatris in front of it. Neither of them need staking. My Maltese-Cross reaches 3 - 3 1/2 ft but needs dead heading to keep it flowering. This will stay in a 3ft border nicely.

You may wish to consider adding an evergreen Holly called SkyPencil. I have a 2 ft wide border next to a walkway and that is the one that actually became the backbone of that border. It can grow up to 8 ft tall but is easily maintaind at 4 and is very slender. Mine are currently 4 ft tall but only 10 - 12 inches wide. Never needs trimming. Once I had them in and placed a few tall flowering plants between, picking the rest of the plants became much easier.

I see now that you re in the UK....we lived in Harrogate Yorkshire for a couple of years (that where my love for gardening really took off) I had a coreopsis that always reached 4 1/2 ft but I don't remember which variety. The ones I have now never make it that tall. Hope this helps give you some ideas.

Kathy
Half the interest of a garden is the constant exercise of the imagination.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hmmm, still thinking Glenda. I am trying to come up with a plan for you.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
glenda Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
Thank you all. Im still eager to hear your suggestions.
Kathy..sunshine seeker I am in Doncaster, South Yorkshire. What a small world I know Harrogate quite well, I love the Valley Gardens there.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
At the back of the boarder I'd put in a colorful array of roses. Infront of those I would companion plant a variety of alliums. They help keep down the aphid population. And then again because I love them I would go for a selection of Double Bloom Peonies. They don't bloom for long but the blooms are well worth it. Infront of those I would have the miniature sunflowers Snowdrops, daffodils, crocuses, tulips and the mums. And infront of those would be the petunias, lily of the valley, Hycinth and pansys. This should give you a riot of color from March through October.

[Linked Image]
glenda Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
Thank you so much, that sounds like the garden that I am after TK. Ive made a note of the flowers, and shall source out suppliers tommorow. A big Thank you again.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
your very welcome. I hope it turns out exactly like you picture it.

[Linked Image]
The beauty of having a border is it can be turned
into an expandable garden. Mine started with some
lilac and privet hedges,and over time I'd add a couple
of peonies here,daylilies there, and then some irises,
and so on, at the same time the lawn shrank to about half
its original size. I'm still adding plants to it, like this
year I'll add more yellow border bearded irises along the
frint of it.
This is the backyard:

[Linked Image]

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
work on it a little at a time, I have a border started around my yard and I just work on filling it a little at a time and I plant on all sides so that I don't have one area filled more than the other. I've been moving bulbs for almost 2 years now and everything (or almost everything ) I get goes into the border line

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image