Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#176505 Jan 29th, 2008 at 07:45 AM
OP Offline
Hey Guy's,
I'm a new user and not real savy so please bear with me. I received a 20yr old jade plant from my mother about 3 years ago. She lives in Florida and left the plant on her carport and with very little effort the plant became huge. I live in South Carolina and the plant has not been doing to well since I have been unabel to sit it outside in the summer d/t squirls digging in the pot and breaking off limbs. We had a warm day about 3 weeks ago and I set it on the deck and proceeded to forget to bring it back in at night and the temp dropped to 26 degree. Now the plant is really looking sorry....Is there anything I can do to save this plant???? Please help me if you can

bdwulf43 #179846 Feb 8th, 2008 at 03:15 AM
Hi,

I have two jade plants and have had them for many years. The "mother" of these jade plants was something that my grandmother had gotten off a cereal box promotion in the 50's. Mine has always grown well, but a number of years ago I did something really stupid. Living on a dairy farm I have access to fresh manure. One day I went out and got some and put it on the plant. Well, this stuff was not dried yet and I think that I burned the living daylings out of it. I called into the Garden Hotline (Ralph Snodsmith) and told him about it, and he said to cut off the tips that are still green and start a new plant, so that is what I did. I never really told him the truth about what I had done cause I felt really stupid. So..........my suggestion to you is to do the same and start a fresh plant from a cutting on the tip. That is if you think that the base of it is going to die.
Just my 2 cents.

Carol

PS: I took some pics but don't know how to add a picture to the post. Anybody got a clue?

flowergirlcfc #179872 Feb 8th, 2008 at 04:39 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I have to agree that taking a stem cutting and placing that in moist (like a wrung out sponge) potting soil is probably the best bet. Keep the soil at that stage of moist until you see some new growth. You can then let it dry out between waterings.

I'm sorry the news is so bad.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #179873 Feb 8th, 2008 at 04:41 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
For future reference. Jade plants are very hardy but they hate to be moved. Any change in the amount of light they get and they will drop leaves like there is no tomorrow. So if you do have to move a jade plant do it in small stages. Otherwise it will cause problems.

Jade plants can be kept and grown inside they do not have to be put outside.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image