Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#173850 Jan 20th, 2008 at 11:55 AM
OP Offline
I live in the wine country of Northern California and have a wonderful apartment with a small balcony the length of a sliding glass door that my dining table is in front of; my dining and living areas are combined in one large room, and I keep the drapes open to let in all the light from the big window - but the balcony is bare and uninviting. I want to turn the balcony into my "upstairs garden" - a focal point when I'm dining, entertaining, and just relaxing. The mood in my lifestyle is a combination of casual and elegant, my tranquil hideaway where my goal is to have a warm, inviting feeling for myself and my guests. My dilemma is that in addition to not being a very good gardener, the balcony faces east and is totally enclosed by a solid wall and only gets a small amount of sunshine. My home is done in a Meditarranean decor with lots of neutral colors that are brought to life by rich accent rugs, floral arrangements and decor. I have NO idea where to start with the balcony! Any suggestions on plants that are agreeable to the balcony environment would be greatly appreciated... Thanks! - Marlene

LadySingsLead #174483 Jan 22nd, 2008 at 01:14 PM
hi Marlene; welcome to the forum !
Depending on how much available space is left, about the best suggestion I can think of is to put a redwood trestle table up against the balcony wall so as to elevate a couple of planter pots or urns,large enough to retain water reasonably long,with decorative foliage plants,such as caladiums. Strive for the minimally elegant so as not to compete with your living room.

neko nomad #174497 Jan 22nd, 2008 at 03:15 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Hi Marlene, Your space sounds lovely. My thoughts are you really want something to look out at....

On the wall facing in how about putting a wall water fountain that matches your decor. If you cannot connect to the wall you could get a free standing one.

For plants I would suggest
-Ferns big ones in beautiful urns,
-Heuchera (they come in so many colors they are gorgeous)
-Honeysuckle grows in shade and it could vine up around the water feature.
-Ivy I have a beautiful evergreen yellow and green ivy that would look pretty.

You could have a very interesting sight, sound, fragrant area.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
LadySingsLead #174525 Jan 22nd, 2008 at 05:57 PM
Click on this photo to see the source
of this and other styles:

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image