Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#160511 Dec 12th, 2007 at 04:22 PM
OP Offline
HELLO NEW HERE JUST WANTED TO SAY HELLO
I AM NOW FIGHTING THE WINTER BLUES BUT IS THERE A WAY TO GROW CATNIP INDOORS AND NOT HAVE MY CAT KILL IT???

GARDENNUT007 #164600 Dec 28th, 2007 at 03:52 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Guess we're all into the winter tunes nobody seems to have any answers for you, wish I could answer for you, but no can do!!! How about a inside mini-greenhouse?

By the way welcome to our forum, do come back you'll love it here.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Rosepetal #164611 Dec 28th, 2007 at 04:50 PM
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
I've wanted to try growing cat nip, but I figure my cat will try to get to it also. She loves shamrocks. She'll eat the tops off of everyone if she can get to them. I put them up top of a plant rack that is about 4 ft tall so she can't reach them. You may be able to try that. Or, put them in hanging baskets.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

(the new and improved Mrs. rachelc)

If you never have you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
GARDENNUT007 #173407 Jan 19th, 2008 at 09:18 AM
Packets of catnip seed shouldn't be that hard to find now with spring just around the corner, at least here. You can use a seed starting potting mix if you like, they usually do a good job cause the 'seed starting' mixes are essentailly sterile. Catnip seeds are tiny and should be lightly sowed, by the same token, germination is usually low and erratic at best, so don't be discouraged if only a few seeds actually sprout. Dampening off will be a real problem, so if you can...try not to over water your seed tray and keep a little air moving to discourage this and the sterile potting mix will help. Catnip seeds need a little light to germinate ...so barely cover the tiny seeds with the mix.
if you need more info, let me know, I'm never sure just how much detail folks really need.
The old adage is holds true for catnip..."if you sow it, cats won't know it". Its only when the leaves are gently bruised the plant releases its essentil oils letting the cat know its close by.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image