Print Thread
Rating: 5
#162286 Dec 18th, 2007 at 07:42 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Wow After I brought this in from being outside all spring and summer it's now starting to bloom! clap I got this just about 1 year ago from Njoynit,, it was about 6 inches tall,, Now it's close to 3 ft,, maybe a little taller I have it on the bottom rung of a step stool to support it as it's too tall for the pot,, I was too lazy to re-pot it this summer,, rolz But maybe it likes being in a smaller pot why after all

[Linked Image]

a couple of days ago.....

[Linked Image]

today...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Were they good??!! lol

Diane, does it ever branch out at all?
Are you going to take a picture when ALL those fat buds are open?? That will be beautiful!

What is that FAT stick you are rooting sitting on the little white table in the jar??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Shirley4
Were they good??!! lol

Diane, does it ever branch out at all?
Are you going to take a picture when ALL those fat buds are open?? That will be beautiful!

What is that FAT stick you are rooting sitting on the little white table in the jar??

I hope they all will bloom at once, I don't know about it branching out ,, I don't think so why

That "Fat Stick" is a Brug,, Dr. Suess ... Njoynit just sent me I have two rooting of Dr, suess and she sent 4 others! clap

OMG CINDY,, Only you would spill MOT Babies in Potatoe soup .. You were wanting to make spuds Huh?? haha

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
lol lol lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
500 Posts
500 Posts
Never heard of one of those very pretty blossom.

[Linked Image]

I am strong when I am on your shoulders, you raised me up to be more than I can be.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Thanks Ladyslipper!! Today More of them have opened I will get another picture when I get off work! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Here is a picture of the leaves of the MOT incase someone doesn't know what it looks like,, [Linked Image]

and here's the blooms today Dec. 21- 07[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Very interesting plant...pretty flowers as well.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
very nice. i love the color.

I love my garden
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Thanks "T" and Dhuber,, The camera doesn't do the color justice,, It's really looks soooo soft a pink,, grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Here it is today [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Very pretty, Diane.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
500 Posts
500 Posts
very nice

[Linked Image]

I am strong when I am on your shoulders, you raised me up to be more than I can be.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
diane. that is so awesome! thank you for sharing with us.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
grin Sure is nice to have something blooming in the house this season clap
Thanks Guys!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
geez....I won't be looking at mine till sunday,But I knew before I left....that they we're close.Thats a good shot too.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
nice.

I love my garden
yours are really pretty the ones i have planted in my yard are hard to keep under control they do really well in my sandy soil their growing all over they multiply like crazy!! when i was clearing out that land i had to throw like 40 of them away because i simply had not more room in my yard for them almost every peicece of land of my yard has some type of flower on it im sad that i had to throw them away because their gorgeous but i had too but thelly prolly start growing where i threw them at i threw them in the woods next to us.... thell prolly start growing, along with all the periwinkle i had to get rid of to whihc i still have loads of!!! but thank you i forgot what they were called and i found yours and now i know....

-arlene

First I must work hard then play.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Arlene Hi!

Wow I never thought about putting it in ground,, idea Hmmmmmmm I may just do that in the spring,,! grin Thanks!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
But dig it up before frost.
mine look shabby now cause moved them out of the bar room for new years and didn't move them back so my big ones look ugly now from the cold of a unheated shed,but the babies look fine.I just won't have blooms this year.I guess intoxicated mids don't remember well huh.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
yea we dont have to worry about digging ours up were in the hotter part of floridaa but when we do get frost its much lighter its not a hard frost... so like he said ull have have to dig yours up

First I must work hard then play.
Where can I find one of these to purchase?

Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
lowes has em there small little babys or someone could trade you some for something you might have but they multiply like crazy!

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
and good luck, they die on me the way the multiply on others.

Hm . . .I could trade for a hyacinth bean plant or some seeds. If anyone is interested, let me know.

500 Posts
500 Posts
Diane, thanks for providing link. Those look great! I've not seen them bloom before until now. Love the pretty pink blooms. I'll have to look at Lowe's for them. May be going there today if I can get off this computer. lol

500 Posts
500 Posts
Went to Lowe's today, no MOT's, asked and looked. tears Came home with fertilizer and plant stakes. Was glad to get that as most places around here have been out of both 15-30-15 and plastic plant stakes.

Hey everybody. I got one of those MOT's blooming too! First time ever. Of course I also have "thousands" of little plants, but this was the parent and is about three years old now. That bloom stalk is about six feet tall! I have heard that the plant dies after it blooms. I was hoping not, that I could cut it back and get more out of it, but I guess if it does there's many more to take it's place! Here's the pics:

flowers/flowers-188.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

flowers/flowers-151.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
it should make seeds though when it stops flowering just let the flwers dry up and it will create seeds! i cant wait for mine to get taller and bloom,mine are only babys right when i got them they were about 2 3 inches now some are 6-7 inches and its only been 2 weeks since i go tthem from my grammy i just hope it dont take mine 3 years to blomo!

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
500 Posts
500 Posts
Oh keylime wow! shock clap Hmm, three years to bloom, that's okay, look at the rewards! Wow! Very pretty keylime. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. Now I want MOTs more than ever. Shucks, can't find any around here. Love the pink blooms! Did you need to shelter the plant in winter? Is this plant potted?

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Very pretty plant.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Yes, the plant has the privilege of living in a greenhouse (converted garage!) each winter. It gets to live by an eight foot glass door in winter and outside all summer. It needed support as it grew taller. I honestly didn't even know they bloomed and it kept sending up this taller and taller shoot. Then I saw a pic on another board of the blooms and wow, oh wow, I let it run with anticipation! This plant is in a six inch pot where it has lived most of its life, and has many many babies already living in the pot around it. I must say it stopped producing the babies on the leaves which it drops when it started its growth spurt in advance of blooming. Maybe something to watch for those of you who have these plants waiting to bloom.

Last edited by keylime; Mar 7th, 2008 at 04:24 PM.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by keylime
Hey everybody. I got one of those MOT's blooming too! First time ever. Of course I also have "thousands" of little plants, but this was the parent and is about three years old now. That bloom stalk is about six feet tall! I have heard that the plant dies after it blooms. I was hoping not, that I could cut it back and get more out of it, but I guess if it does there's many more to take it's place! Here's the pics:

flowers/flowers-188.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

[Linked Image]

OMG That is awesome!!!!!!!!!! clap clap clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
keylime, wow, six inch pot, that's incredible for that size plant! That is way cool. I was out of town last week and visited 2 nurseries and two garden stores, no one had MOT's would you believe. I'll continue my search though. Keep us posted on your MOT. I'm curious to know how long it will bloom and will you cut the stalk down and at which point. flwr Do you feed it, if so, what kind of fertilizer?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image